Bear Grylls Running Wild - Utah Episode

Yep, no cell since 2007. :) Gives me the funds to get out more, and pay for my SPOT every year.
That's pretty awesome. I've thought about that as well. An extra $20 a month is still an extra $20 a month. I use my phone for so many things though. Primarily (other than text and phone calls) I use it as a tablet: reading, writing, tracking, GPS, maps (which is just the google maps app), and things like that. the phone has made it easier to carry large novels into the backcountry (Don Quixote, etc.) at a fraction of the size and weight. I don't spend a lot of time reading in the backcountry because I like to fill a trip full of stuff, but when a summer like this years happens and it rains a lot, the novel becomes a great tent buddy. I write a lot in the journal I keep, so I don't forget the nuances of the days.

I applaud your determination though.

hahahaha ................................... BG
sucked you guys in like a black hole. :roflmao:

Flipping through the channels just now and I see another BG Running Wild episode in Utah with Tamron Hall. I gotta say, as crazy as BG has been in the past on TV shows, you'd have to be crazy to trust him with your life in the backcountry. That having been said, he at least does seem to know how to be a "guide" better than I expected.

But I still wouldn't trust him on belay.

Flipping through the channels just now and I see another BG Running Wild episode in Utah with Tamron Hall. I gotta say, as crazy as BG has been in the past on TV shows, you'd have to be crazy to trust him with your life in the backcountry. That having been said, he at least does seem to know how to be a "guide" better than I expected.

But I still wouldn't trust him on belay.

Just caught part of it out of the corner of my eye while at work. So he basically went from Moab-area last time to Bryce Canyon-area this time. Nothing like watching that idiot giggle over a dead squirrel as if it's some triumph. Also, can he possibly cram on more self-branded merchandise? It's pretty stupid to be wearing a Bear Grylls paracord bracelet when you're less than a mile off a state highway.

Someone needs to start one of those White House petitions asking to have the Ag and Interior Departments stop issuing commercial permits to "survival" reality shows.

It's pretty stupid to be wearing a Bear Grylls paracord bracelet when you're less than a mile off a state highway.

Someone needs to start one of those White House petitions asking to have the Ag and Interior Departments stop issuing commercial permits to "survival" reality shows.

The gear is just in case he gets into a real survival situation this way he can whip out his Bear Grylls survival cell phone and call 911...

As to the petition, lets get it started and where do I sign???

I just got done watching both the Deion Sanders episode and the Tamron Hall episode.

I am right with @ashergrey. How do they keep getting permits to do anything with the practices they use? What is the point of this show? If it is for educating the public, Bear's Only Tip Of The Week is terrible. There is no educating, just a vague hint at something. "Bring a tarp because they are super useful. You can get one at Walmart." "Hang your food in a tree because of bears. Buy a bag at Walmart."

For a project in school I'm debunking survival shows like these, and it is so fun to do! I'll post links soon.
I know exactly where Tamron Hall was the whole time. Anyone figured out where the slot canyon that Deion Sanders survived is? (Thanks @Nick for Parriott Mesa)
It's fun to see where they claim they are "surviving."

I'm not sure where the slot is, but go research the top Moab tech slots, there aren't very many of them. I'm sure you'll be able to match up a pic of some of those rappels pretty quickly.

Oh snap! Time to open this one back up.

Anyone else watch the latest Running Wild with Bear Grylls featuring James Marsden?

I didn't get to see it. But when I saw the preview it looked a lot like Ashdown Gorge. I'm curious as to how they pick a spot like that. That's a pretty small area compared to some of the other places in Utah.

The last episode I saw you could see the highway in the background. It doesn't seem very wild to me if your that close to the road.

Oh snap! Time to open this one back up.

Anyone else watch the latest Running Wild with Bear Grylls featuring James Marsden?

Thanks guys. Any entertainment I can get reading rants about how fake BG or LS shows are is appreciated.

My Rant for Today:
I guess there are a few 11 year old kids that are impressed at how they make every grove of trees appear to be infested with the spawn of Bigfoot or every ledge in a wash as dangerous as the bottleneck on K2.

Yeah, so the episode is Ashdown Gorge....which will forever be called Rattlesnake Canyon cause Ashdown isn't good enough for TV. At least there is a Rattlesnake Creek up Ashdown about 3 or so miles.
They start by landing a helicopter on Flanigan's Arch. Followed by an "extremely advanced skill" of a simul-rappel. Then they find a chuckwalla lizard for dinner. Then all of a sudden they are up on the point in the photo below, which is accessed by a well graded dirt road. Then they have some crazy rappel to the road.
Needless to say their route is stupid and Bear teaches ZERO skills about survival and does some ridiculous crap in Ashdown Gorge.
IMG_0681.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

He should go climb the Grand or Teewinot and explain real situations (they just pulled 13 people off the mountains in the last few days alive and dead) rather than making stuff up.

F this idiot. I'd love to come face to face with him in a place like Ashdown so I could tell him so in person.

These shows piss me off, if only because they are teaching people all the wrong things to survive. It's harmless enough until someone dies because they thought it was more important to catch a lizard for dinner than find adequate shelter and water. F Bear Grylls.