Bag Night Challenge 2014

Backcountry Post

Official Information
Staff member
OK Keith... I will start since you wimped out.:giggle:

3 nights in 2014

- 3 Anza Borrego, southern CA - I will edit with a picture tomorrow (I promise) but wanted to get my chit in since a bunch of you blokes are out right now in the cold :)

The Borrego Palms Canyon wild palm oasis.
borregoPalms_3.jpg

Post your 2014 bag nights here! @Miss Buffalo is the reigning champ with 55 nights in 2013. Who's going to hit 60 this year? Don't forget to post a pic!

Previous Bag Night Challenge Threads:
2013 Bag Night Challenge - Winner: @Miss Buffalo with 55 Nights
2012 Bag Night Challenge - Winner: @DAA with 59 Nights

@Nick and what about the prizes you promised? Why don't you post the top three of each year? Did this challenge only start in 2012? When did BCP start?

@Nick and what about the prizes you promised? Why don't you post the top three of each year? Did this challenge only start in 2012? When did BCP start?

I promised prizes!? :eek:

Actually, I've been trying to figure something out. Last year I sent @DAA a BCP shirt but this year I don't have one in the size I'd need for @Miss Buffalo. I looked into getting something cool like some custom beanies done but once again sizing issues stopped me in my tracks. I would love to figure out some cool piece of BCP gear I could pick up a couple dozen (or more) of to give out to top posters and for things like this. Any ideas would be much appreciated. There is certainly a budget for it if I could just figure out what it is. :)

I started BCP in 2007 as a sort of blog for my own trips and then really started paying more attention to it in 2010/2011. The original site was a custom, hand-coded creation of mine that was not easy to maintain. 2012 was the first year of the BCP Community as well as the Bag Night Challenge. Because of a nasty ankle injury in Arches, I had a lot of extra time in front of the computer and put together the basic site you see now. It went live on Jan 17, 2012.

Good idea on including the top three from previous years. I made that change.

I had intended two nights this weekend, but the same crap that kept me from another two or three nights in Dec. stopped me again. Been on again/off again fighting first a flu and then a nasty sinus infection since mid Dec. and it has really knocked the wind out of my sails for cold camping. Or doing anything, I've just been a couch slug the last few weeks, which I really hate... I bet I have literally watched more TV the last three weeks than all of the previous year combined. TV sucks...

- DAA

I like the idea of BCP beanies since I'm a big fan of beanies and wear them year round. :)
Do we have a new round of BCP shirts this year?
The first one is just fine but the never one looks just awful. I loved the quality better of the first generation shirts

OK Keith... I will start since you wimped out.:giggle:

3 nights in 2014

- 3 Anza Borrego, southern CA - I will edit with a picture tomorrow (I promise) but wanted to get my chit in since a bunch of you blokes are out right now in the cold :)

The Borrego Palms Canyon wild palm oasis.
View attachment 14218
I love Borrego Springs. However, I do not feel that warm weather camping in January should qualify :) . My connections in that area informed me that the weather was quite warm. You should be posting pictures of your snow cave (joking)!

1 night - Jan 2 @ Diamond Fork Hot Springs

IMG_0305.JPG

1 night - Jan 2 @ Diamond Fork Hot Springs

Nice! I went up there to hike them on Monday and the road was closed off like 4 miles before the trailhead. Is that what it was like for you? I'd read everywhere that you can get there easily with 4WD but never heard about the gate. We hadn't left ourselves enough time to add 8 miles to the hike so we had to turn around and drive home. :(

The gate is only closed in the winter. In warmer months, the gate is open. If you know someone with a snowmobile, they can shuttle you up to the trailhead, then you can hike from there. Fun times. The upper pool was so hot that I spent most of the night in the lower pool.

Yeah, my buddy I was with has a snowmobile so we're going back next week. :)

So you guys overnighted up there? How was that? Good places to setup camp? Worth doing?

There a spot about 1/4 mile below the hot pots where we camped. It was flat enough for maybe 6 tents. It was chilly at night, but that's the nature of the beast when you camp in January.

The hot pots were really nice. We stayed in them for about 2 hours before our skin started to itch. From there we dried off and got in our cold weather gear. I was initially worried about freezing while I was drying off, but it wasn't bad at all, i stayed pretty warm.

If your tent isn't a freestanding tent, it could be tricky to get the stakes in. We had crumbly sugar snow with frozen ground underneath. We got it to work, but it was a little challenge.

I definitely think it's worth it, it was a good time. You will smell like sulphur when you go to bed that night. If you end up taking your dog, keep an eye on him/her so they don't drink from the sulphur water. My dog drank some while we weren't watching, and he smelled like sulphur for a few days. Here are a few more pics:

IMG_0316.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0311.JPG

IMG_0314.JPG

And our campsite (see if you can find the 3rd tent):

IMG_0301%2520%25281%2529.JPG