Backpacking in France

James and Amy

We just published our trip report from a 42 day backpacking trip in Brittany at: https://doingmiles.com/2024-03-france/
Included below are a few images; more are found in the report. Highlights included visiting numerous Megalithic sites, many 4 to 6 thousand years old.

A question to the group: are reports about walks like this in non-wilderness areas appropriate on this site? We carried the same stuff we use in wild areas, spent 39 nights in our tent and the only form of non-walking transport used were some ferries, but the route we walked was definitely not wild. Comments about this question would be appreciated.

James and Amy

20240408_065416668_iOS.jpeg20240411_120106348_iOS.jpeg20240412_053937508_iOS.jpeg

Last edited:
Perhaps others who have been connected to this site longer than I have feel differently, but I love your reports and am happy to keep seeing them.

I appreciate your perspective since you've done both remote US west backcountry routes and long thru-routes in the EU, which are a whole different beast. Your High Pyrenees write-up was informative for my trip. Looking forward to reading this one. I can appreciate a mid-route Euro style bakery from time-to-time.

Totally appropriate for BCP

looking forward to reading

I appreciate your perspective since you've done both remote US west backcountry routes and long thru-routes in the EU, which are a whole different beast. Your High Pyrenees write-up was informative for my trip. Looking forward to reading this one. I can appreciate a mid-route Euro style bakery from time-to-time.
Fossana,

Thanks for your helpful note. Implied in it is that you walked at least parts of the HRP. it would be very interesting to hear a bit more about what you did as we know nobody else who has been on that fabulous route in a very fine range of mountains. We much preferred the Pyrenees to the French Alps.

James and Amy

Fossana,

Thanks for your helpful note. Implied in it is that you walked at least parts of the HRP. it would be very interesting to hear a bit more about what you did as we know nobody else who has been on that fabulous route in a very fine range of mountains. We much preferred the Pyrenees to the French Alps.

James and Amy
I didn't do the HRP. I did the GR11 through the High Pyrenees, including a small overlap on HRP stage 18. I was referring to your beta on tent footprints in light of the sharp alpine grass and ease of tent camping.

Back