Back Country Permit Orange Cliffs

Has anyone actually done this? They want you to have one but there doesn't seem to be any way to do it. It is not included in the online reservation system other than the admonition that you have to have one. The web site is useless for this task. :timebomb:

https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/backcountrypermits.htm
Okay so they include it as part of The Maze for administrative purposes and you still have to go to Hans Flat to get your permit? I get why they want you do that in the Maze itself but not the OC. That's almost 100 miles round trip to get the permit for an area that's only about 32 miles from Hite! :timebomb::timebomb:

https://canypermits.nps.gov/

Looks like you can get an orange cliffs permit here, and get it online and not have to go to hans flat unless I am mistaken

For a few years you were able to print up the permit yourself and not have to go to the Hans Flat Ranger Station, but they changed it this year and you do need to pick it up from them again. But like Nick said, you can call them and check-in over the phone and not necessarily have to go there to get your permit.

Thanks all. The online system for Maze includes Orange Cliffs. There is no separate entry for OC. All the camp spots are now designated. Did not know about phone check in. My guess is that it depends on who is running things at any given moment. I think I will do it by including OC into a general Maze trip so get it all at once. Next year..

I made a reservation in the Maze last week and got the following response:

"We have received your request for a backcountry overnight permit. We are currently unable to request payment of the required fees, due to budget issues tied to the end of the Federal fiscal year on September 30, 2017.

We will send a payment request to you at this email address once we are able to process payments. That will be on or after October 2, 2017. Your dates and campsites will be held under your name. Once we receive payment we will email your permit or a notice to check in to receive it at the district where your trip begins.

If you do not receive an email to pay before your travel begins, note that you will be able to pay the fee and receive your permit at the visitor center in the district where your backcountry trip begins.
"

I'm not sure what kind of "budget issues" would prevent them from taking your money, but it sounds like for the next week, or maybe longer, permits have to be paid for and picked up at the ranger station.

Make sure you post a trip report when you get back. I was supposed to camp here two years ago but never made it. I want to see what I missed. :)

I made a reservation in the Maze last week and got the following response:

"We have received your request for a backcountry overnight permit. We are currently unable to request payment of the required fees, due to budget issues tied to the end of the Federal fiscal year on September 30, 2017.

We will send a payment request to you at this email address once we are able to process payments. That will be on or after October 2, 2017. Your dates and campsites will be held under your name. Once we receive payment we will email your permit or a notice to check in to receive it at the district where your trip begins.

If you do not receive an email to pay before your travel begins, note that you will be able to pay the fee and receive your permit at the visitor center in the district where your backcountry trip begins.
"

I'm not sure what kind of "budget issues" would prevent them from taking your money, but it sounds like for the next week, or maybe longer, permits have to be paid for and picked up at the ranger station.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!