Avenues Twin Peaks - December 31, 2021

scatman

I figured the best way to send out 2021 was to go on a hike, so I headed up the Avenues Twin Peaks this afternoon during a break between two storms. While this is a short hike and usually takes less than an hour to summit, I had to break trail most of the way to the top, which kind of wore me out and thus took me longer to summit.

01.jpg
Looking cold today

02.jpg
Three of the fourteen deer that I saw on this hike

03.jpg
Another batch resting

04.jpg
The south peak of the Avenues Twin Peaks

05.jpg
Aster sticking out of the snow along the trail

06.jpg
Frosty scrub oak

07.jpg
Lonely, cold thistle

08.jpg
About knee deep at this point

09.jpg
The trail ahead

10.jpg
A little over knee deep at this point

11.jpg
Slowly getting there, I think. :)

12.jpg
Nice contrast

13.jpg
Grass

14.jpg
Sage

15.jpg
Just above the knee still

16.jpg
Black Mountain

17.jpg
A BCP greeting to @Rockskipper from the summit of the north twin peak. How do you like the old Seattle Sombrero?

18.jpg
Mount wire to the southeast

19.jpg
Another BCP greeting from the south twin peak

20.jpg
View of the north twin peak from the south twin peak. A storm is rolling in across the northern ridge of City Creek Canyon. Time
for me to get off the mountain.

21.jpg
Red Butte.

The End

Deer come in batches, and I bet cookies come in herds, right?

That first BCP greeting was well done, the second, not so much, as the fingers have to wiggle. It's symbolic, you know, of all the BCPers who have to wiggle out of tricky situations, like bogs and such.

Great photos, and Happy New Year, Scatster!

You going to make it to the new year tonight, after being all tuckered out from trailbreaking? Not that we are going to make it to midnight either- we had two grandchildren sleep over last night, so it was party time at Grandma and Grandpa's! Then xc skied this afternoon. Well, it's the new year somewhere already, right?
Nice photos, especially the leaf/snow one. Happy New Year!

Deer come in batches, and I bet cookies come in herds, right?

That first BCP greeting was well done, the second, not so much, as the fingers have to wiggle. It's symbolic, you know, of all the BCPers who have to wiggle out of tricky situations, like bogs and such.

Great photos, and Happy New Year, Scatster!

Happy New Year @Rockskipper!

I wouldn't mind seeing a herd of cookies. I am pretty hungry right about now. :)

My hands were getting cold by the time I got to the south summit, thus the closed mitt. :( You didn't comment on the sombrero?

You going to make it to the new year tonight, after being all tuckered out from trailbreaking? Not that we are going to make it to midnight either- we had two grandchildren sleep over last night, so it was party time at Grandma and Grandpa's! Then xc skied this afternoon. Well, it's the new year somewhere already, right?
Nice photos, especially the leaf/snow one. Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you too! Sounds like you had a busy day too. :thumbsup:

I probably won't make it till midnight either, though I did make it last year. It's pretty tough for me to stay up past 10:00 pm anymore :sleep:, but I'll give it a try.

years ago, not long after moving to SLC, I commented to someone that Sarah and I had hiked the Twin Peaks and not found it to be a big deal. turns out they thought I was talking about Broads Fork Twins but we had actually summited the Avenues Twins :)

years ago, not long after moving to SLC, I commented to someone that Sarah and I had hiked the Twin Peaks and not found it to be a big deal. turns out they thought I was talking about Broads Fork Twins but we had actually summited the Avenues Twins :)

Yeah, not too much to the Ave Twin Peaks, but they are hard to beat for short, quick hike, plus you're gaining about 1000 feet or so along the way.

Yeah, not too much to the Ave Twin Peaks, but they are hard to beat for short, quick hike, plus you're gaining about 1000 feet or so along the way.
yeah I wasn't making fun of your hike, especially in the deep snow!