Arches Canyonlands 10-2012

Bill

I've been cherry picking my TR's for a while now and I'm just started to go back and get caught up. This one was from a quick spur of the moment trip with some friends who came into town looking to shoot a few photos in during a rushed trip to Moab.

We started the trip by going directly to Arches and shooting a rather uneventful sunset at the Garden of Eden before we started our hike up to Delicate Arch. The moon was pretty bright but we still got some decent shots around the Arch. We met a cool group of people from Colorado who were also enjoying the views of delicate under the stars. I offered to take their photo under the Arch and email it to them and they must of been pretty stoked on it because one of them ended up ordering a 24×36 canvas print a few days later. After Delicate we took a few shots at balanced rock then headed back to Moab for the night.

Delicate Arch by Summit42, on Flickr

delicate arch by Summit42, on Flickr

On the second night we went to False Kiva for sunset and did a little bit of light painting after the sun went down. Sunset was a dud but I did get a few decent shots by using a few flashes and wireless triggers.

On day 3 we left early to catch sunrise at Mesa Arch and when we arrived we found 30+ people fighting for “the shot”. I took three shots that I can't even bring myself to process after that tainted experience. After that I’m pretty confident that I won't be going back to Mesa Arch for sunrise ever again.

Featured image for home page:
slide.jpg

Nice work Bill! Sorry you had such a bad experience at Mesa Arch. That just sounds awful! I think every photographer wants some of those iconic shots, but sometimes the price of admission isn't worth it.

Nice work Bill! Sorry you had such a bad experience at Mesa Arch. That just sounds awful! I think every photographer wants some of those iconic shots, but sometimes the price of admission isn't worth it.

Don't be sorry its was hilarious and definitely worth seeing people get all worked up about it :). Watching Mesa Arch light up is pretty amazing that alone is worth witnessing at least once regardless of the crowds. People who write it off as being a cookie cutter shot really are missing out.

Don't be sorry its was hilarious and definitely worth seeing people get all worked up about it :). Watching Mesa Arch light up is pretty amazing that alone is worth witnessing at least once regardless of the crowds. People who write it off as being a cookie cutter shot really are missing out.

Good, I'm glad you have a sense of humor about it.:p I do agree that witnessing an event like that is something special even if you don't get "the shot".

That False Kiva shot is definitely among the best of that spot. So good. I have heard other funny stories about the Mesa Arch hustle bustle during sunrise. I once got there an hour after sunrise once and no one was there, or everyone had already cleared out and the light was still nice on the underside of the arch.

Man... Those are incredible! Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em!

- DAA

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Tyler Moab/Canyonlands/Arches Feburary 2012 Hiking & Camping 16
IntrepidXJ Arches and Canyonlands National Parks Accepting Comments on Proposed Fee Increases for Backcountry Operations General Discussion 38
gnwatts BLM Oil and Gas lease auction, Arches, Canyonlands, Bears Ears etc. General Discussion 5
zionsky Arches & Canyonlands closed due to snow General Discussion 12
Brian Skibbe Moab, Arches NP, Canyonlands NP. May 2017 Hiking & Camping 3
Nick Canyonlands+Arches, October 2010 Hiking & Camping 0
Yvonne Arches and Canyonlands, June 2011 Hiking & Camping 10
Waynee-ack Arches and Canyonlands National Parks Hiking & Camping 11
Nick From Arches to Canyonlands Hiking & Camping 10
Desertratgal 3-Day Rattlesnake Arches Area Adventure Backpacking 4
Udink North of Arches Hiking & Camping 6
Jackson New Arches NP Timed Entry Pilot General Discussion 8
C Arches area walking in the tourist spots Everything Else 2
Noun Sequitur Arches + Snow Hiking & Camping 6
Jammer Zion to Arches Hike Backpacking 26
Scott Chandler Arches Tackling Visitation General Discussion 8
tomcat32 Rattlesnake Arches- Fruita, Colorado Hiking & Camping 3
IntrepidXJ Arches National Park Night Closure Trip Planning 2
Outdoors24 Arches National Park closed to backpacking? General Discussion 12
DrNed Arches Named Prettiest Wintertime NP General Discussion 2
Bridgette Primitive Camping Near Arches Trip Planning 2
Dustin Gent slot canyons and/or arches General Discussion 4
Ross Six days in The Maze (with some Arches to warm up) Hiking & Camping 4
Tater Head Three days in Arches... Trip Planning 10
IntrepidXJ Christmas in Arches 2014 Hiking & Camping 9
Desertrat Arches National Park December 2014 Hiking & Camping 3
DrNed Arches / Moab Off The Beaten Trail Trip Planning 2
Nick Arches Balanced Rock Toppled! General Discussion 11
IntrepidXJ Christmas in Arches Hiking & Camping 5
IntrepidXJ Christmas in Arches 2012 Hiking & Camping 10
IntrepidXJ Rattlesnake Canyon Arches Hiking & Camping 6
Yellowstone 1 Arches National Park March 2012 Hiking & Camping 10
Tyler Arches National Park & Moab area camping March 2006 Hiking & Camping 4
IntrepidXJ Exploring the Arches Backcountry Hiking & Camping 0
IntrepidXJ Exploring the Arches Backcountry Hiking & Camping 0
IntrepidXJ Christmas in Arches 2011 Hiking & Camping 2
IntrepidXJ Album Arches & Natural Bridges Photography 270
IntrepidXJ Exploring the Arches Backcountry Hiking & Camping 6
rinats Canyonlands/Needles: Salt Creek to Chesler Park Trip Planning 6
M Canyonlands, and some random routes Trip Planning 7
SeanIsADesertRat Interesting/mysterious patterns Needles District, Canyonlands General Discussion 19
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
Desertratgal Packrafting Canyonlands Round 2: Dates? Trip Planning 2
Desertratgal 5 Days Solo Packrafting Canyonlands On The Water 4
Desertratgal Canyonlands Packrafting Rough Draft Trip Planning 18
dpnoll Colorado Canyonlands Backpacking 10
TrailScot Canyonlands NP Needles backpacking permit in winter General Discussion 5
angeedraper Canyonlands - Needles 2 Night Backpacking (April 29-May1) Backpacking 0
J Canyonlands Needles District simple backpack with a close friend April 1-3, 2021 Backpacking 2
Laura V. Bears in Salt Creek Canyon, Canyonlands Trip Planning 76