Anybody been over the pass between Bowback and Sundance mountains in the Beartooths?

climbhigh1119

I'm currently putting together a 6-7 day trip to the Beartooths for this August and would like to do a most of the Beaten Path from the Cooke City side, then cut east from Rainbow lake, hike off trial up the aforementioned pass and finish up at the trailhead of the West Fork of Rock Creek rather than the traditional path of continuing northeast to East Rosebud Lake.

Anybody been up and over this pass.? It look steepish, but probably doable on the topo, but I'm having a hard time finding any good beta on it.

Also, any advice on an affordable shuttle service would be appreciated, if anybody has any knowledge in that department.

Thanks in advance!

I'm currently putting together a 6-7 day trip to the Beartooths for this August and would like to do a most of the Beaten Path from the Cooke City side, then cut east from Rainbow lake, hike off trial up the aforementioned pass and finish up at the trailhead of the West Fork of Rock Creek rather than the traditional path of continuing northeast to East Rosebud Lake.

Anybody been up and over this pass.? It look steepish, but probably doable on the topo, but I'm having a hard time finding any good beta on it.

Also, any advice on an affordable shuttle service would be appreciated, if anybody has any knowledge in that department.

Thanks in advance!
This is the closest thing i've found to ok beta. The good news: it's apparently doable. The bad news: It might suck.

This approach is often regarded as a horrible hike from hell worthy of only two words..."stay right"

From the trailhead, hike the very nice trail to Rainbow Lake and consider your future. You will have to hike up Whirlpool Creek which drains into Rainbow Lake at its southwest edge. Getting to the mouth of Whirlpool Creek just may be the hardest part because you will likely have to ford East Rosebud Creek and bushwhack around the south side of the lake through thick forest and marsh. Once at the mouth, hike through bushes and stay on the RIGHT side of the creek on talus instead of the left side where the bushwhacking might be impossible. After a couple miles up Whirlpool Creek, turn left and climb up a side drainage towards Elephant Lake with very good camping. You can then reach the South Ridge route by continuing straight up the valley passing Lake Susanne and reaching the Bowback/Sundance saddle by a steep, loose talus slope that always melts our sooner than its corresponding east side. I'll add more detailed info when I actually do this approach as well as info for the West Ridge.

http://www.summitpost.org/bowback-mountain/810152

Also, I'm also putting together a hike in the Beartooths this August as well through a similar area. If you see a dude in an orange shirt out there, he's probably an escaped convict. If not, it's probably me.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Bob Anybody familiar with this company? Gear 2
TractorDoc Anybody Need Some New Pants? Read more if you are a 32 waist. . . Gear 2
LarryBoy Anybody seen the Henrys recently? Trip Planning 5
JimmyW Anybody use Sidas heated insoles for snowwhoeing? Winter Sports 0
Kullaberg63 Book Cliffs. Anybody go there? Trip Planning 5
Archbishop Anybody tried skydiving? General Discussion 23
Archbishop Anybody use battery packs? Gear 8
F Who has been here? Ruin off Hole-in-the-Rock road General Discussion 4
priz1234 Been here for awhile already Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
Ben How many days have you been alone General Discussion 26
Rockskipper How close have you been to a wild animal that could eat your lunch (marmots don't count)? General Discussion 26
satisfied Been away for for a while, I hope I'm Back Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
D Anyone been to Tatahatso Point, Navajo Nation Trip Planning 1
A Anyone been to Death hollow/ escalante recently? Trip Planning 2
M Anyone Been on the HITR Road lately? Any Springs flowing? Trip Planning 1
balzaccom who's been naughty? General Discussion 0
M Anyone been down around Cedar Mesa lately? Trip Planning 5
Laura Anyone know if the rockfall on HWY 89 out of Page has been cleared yet? General Discussion 6
J Anyone been through Death Hollow recently? Trip Planning 25
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
balzaccom Desolation: Rockbound Pass Backpacking 0
Outdoor_Fool Brooks Range trek - Anaktuvuk Pass to the Haul Road - Cancelled Flight - last minute change-up Backpacking 21
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman, Crescent, Shelf Lake Backpacking 11
uintafly Chepeta Lake to Hayden Pass Trip Planning 0
shredhiker YNP Fawn Pass to Sportsman & Crescent Lake Trip Planning 14
P Season Backcountry Pass at Yellowston General Discussion 9
marquiri Wind River Range - Angel Pass Trip Planning 24
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
Mikjik86 Another Wind River Trip Planning! Elkhart/Titcomb/Knapsack/Shannons Pass loop back to Elkhart, or continue to Green River Lakes Trailhead? Trip Planning 10
TeamJenkins17 Bonneville Pass - August 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
TeamJenkins17 Looking for info on Clark Creek drainage/Pierpont Pass into Hidden Basin in the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 5
C Dinwoody/Bonney Pass Summer Conditions Trip Planning 1
BackpackingtheSierras Republic Pass Trail North Absaroka into Yellowstone Cache Creek and Lamar River Trip Planning 1
marmot_boi Hailey Pass-Cirque of The Towers loop Backpacking 14
NorthwestWanderer Washingtons Okanogan National Forest : PCT/grass hopper pass Backpacking 7
fossana Wire Pass fire (impacting House Rock Rd/Buckskin Gulch) Trip Planning 3
SteveR Blueberry Hill and West Elk Pass, Alberta Winter Sports 1
b.stark Wrangell-St Elias "Seven Pass Route" Backpacking 29
NorthwestWanderer Route Finding adventure, Copper Pass to Blue Lake - Goats, Bears, Lions, Oh my! Backpacking 3
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking the Pasayten Wilderness : Harts Pass, PCT, Windy Pass, Buffalo Pass, Foggy Pass, Jim Pass, Hulman Pass & Rock Pass Meadows Backpacking 3
Perry July 14th Dead Horse Pass Recon Trip Hiking & Camping 10
NorthwestWanderer Dayhike to Gothic Basin & Foggy Pass Hiking & Camping 1
RyanP Texas Pass (Winds) in late July Trip Planning 23
S Washakie: E. Dunoir Creek - Shoshone Pass Info Trip Planning 13
woodmaker_58 Table Mt to Hurricane Pass/ Teton Crest Trail Trip Planning 5
NorthwestWanderer Overnighter in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness : Ingalls Pass and Lake Ingalls Backpacking 9
Rockskipper Snowshed on Red Mountain Pass, Colorado, 3-16-19 General Discussion 7
NorthwestWanderer Washington - 4x4 to Bear Lake & Little Deer Pass Off Road 0
Born to Hike Windriver 36 mile loop: Skull Lake, Washakie Pass, South Fork Lakes, Lizard Head Trail, The Cirque, Big Sandy Lake Backpacking 6