Any Highpointers?

Samuel Stone

If you've never heard of it, Highpointing is trying to summit the highest point in every one of the 50 states. Some folks shoot for the lower 48 and others will do all except for Alaska (due to difficulty/danger/finances).

So far I'm on #13 of 50 and hope to finish up the western continental United States sometime in 2016.

What's the highest point in YOUR state!? Have you been there yet?

8d90a4d30aa8297617646c02f11e6e24.jpg

I've done a few county high points here in Colorado, but I have no interest in checking out most state's high points.

King's Peak, Uinta Mtns, Utah.
- Yes, I've been on top four times.

I have a friend who is planning to as you are doing. he has been going at it for a few years now. It takes him on some pretty cool adventures. He did Mount Hood this summer. I was hoping to tag along, but opted to stay home with my pregnant wife instead.

I think highpointing is good for giving someone a goal to shoot for. I for one am pretty happy just exploring pretty places, weather those are high points or not :)

I have a friend who is planning to as you are doing. he has been going at it for a few years now. It takes him on some pretty cool adventures. He did Mount Hood this summer. I was hoping to tag along, but opted to stay home with my pregnant wife instead.

I think highpointing is good for giving someone a goal to shoot for. I for one am pretty happy just exploring pretty places, weather those are high points or not :)
I can attest to the unique places it has brought me. Most of the times we end up on back roads and through small towns where I never would have gone otherwise. It seems too we meet very unique characters. When we were in Louisiana we ran into the son of one of the lawmen who shot and killed Bonnie and Clyde. Talk about a cool story to hear.

I've thought about it, but the more technical summits would probably make it so I would never complete it.

I've thought about it, but the more technical summits would probably make it so I would never complete it.
Some of the more challenging ones I'll have to save up some funds for. I plan on guiding some of the ones with technical mountaineering (Washington, Oregon, and Alaska). After all, getting to the summit is optional but getting home is not!

Yeah there are only a few that would pose a challenge. Montana seems like it might be pretty challenging as well.

Montana and Wyoming are two others that will require rope skills although thankfully no serious glacier/snow travel. I'm hoping to complete those two in the summer of 2016. I'll have to take good notes for a trip report.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hmm let's see. Guess I've been to 9?

Michigan - Mt Arven
North Carolina - Mt Mitchell
Tennessee - Clingman's Dome
Virginia - Mt Rogers
New Jersey - High Point St Park
Massachusetts - Mt Greylock
New Hampshire - Mt Washington (hiked it, did not take the Auto Road or the Cog, both of which are cheating)
Maine - Katahdin
Utah - Kings Peak

Hmm let's see. Guess I've been to 9?

Michigan - Mt Arven
North Carolina - Mt Mitchell
Tennessee - Clingman's Dome
Virginia - Mt Rogers
New Jersey - High Point St Park
Massachusetts - Mt Greylock
New Hampshire - Mt Washington (hiked it, did not take the Auto Road or the Cog, both of which are cheating)
Maine - Katahdin
Utah - Kings Peak
Which ones did you like the most? I've yet to venture out towards the Appalachians...

Katahdin is amazing. Washington is a disappointment because of the three-ring circus up there. Greylock is pretty interesting. Mt Rogers is a waste of your time, as is High Point in NJ. Clingmans and Mitchell are alright, but again, overdeveloped.

I'd be interested to check out Mansfield in Vermont... I think that one would be pretty cool.

Mt Rogers is a waste? I love Grayson Highlands.
Grayson Highlands is amazing. Mt Rogers itself is a tree-covered summit with no view. The coniferous forest is cool, but you can get that plenty of places in the Grayson Highlands.

Seems like a cool reason to travel the country. High Point NJ will disappoint you though. It's under 2k ft and there is a big parking lot with a monument at the top. I understand what Larry Boy is saying about Mt Washington being a disappointment because of the circus up top, but it's still a magnificent mountain. Mount Marcy in NY is a great one that you'll enjoy.

If you're looking solely for places that are remote, many highpoints are not that. Although at the same time many of them are. Wyoming's Gannett Peak is every bit of a 50 mile round trip with pure unmolested wilderness. That's what it's all about.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back