Another Newb heading UT

Bill in Roswell

Hello. I live in N GA, so mostly hike and paddle the southeast. I've lived in Maine, hiked a lot of the White mountains and others near the AT. Also hiked in WA a bit and CA some. Spent a good bit of time in NM and southern CO when I lived in TX and OK. But I've yet to visit canyon country. I will spend the second half of Oct in SE Utah. First with canyon experienced friends in Bears Ears. Last few years really into Native American history of the southeast and southwest. No set plans yet other than exploring the great Grand Gulch area. I've learned through many travels that I prefer immersing myself in an area to really get the feel of it, versus trying to see every tourist highlight. I do have a couple of health issues that preclude long hikes (I hike w a Garmin Inreach 2), but there is so much within 5 miles of a trailhead that I won't get bored! BTW, I happened across Backcountry Post and it is the best source of accurate info I've found. I just ordered WOW Utah Canyon Country that many of you recommended. Can't wait to be there!

In addition to the Copeland's excellent WOW book, I have also found David Day's books (in print and online - http://www.utahtrails.com/) to be very helpful. But the best help has often been from people here on this site. :)

Hope you have a great trip. Canyon country is incredible!

Back