Amethyst lightning strike

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
Anyone up around Amethyst Lake on Saturday, July 28? The Summit County Sheriff's Office reports lightning struck a man near the lake and that a helicopter transported him from the scene in critical condition. No other details regarding ID or hospital provided.

we were at pass lake when tons of SAR vehicles went cruising by. that must be what happened. scary.

We were hiking down the trail yesterday and saw the SAR first responders coming up the trail and the helo coming in........

I was less than a mile from Amethyst, just over the ridge at Priord Lake. I heard/felt the strikes come through in the early afternoon and heard the chopper later on. Way scary stuff. Has anyone heard anything else on the condition of the victim? I'm really curious to find out what he was doing at the time, huddling under a tree, out in the open, etc. My location when those strikes hit was probably less than ideal...

I was less than a mile from Amethyst, just over the ridge at Priord Lake. I heard/felt the strikes come through in the early afternoon and heard the chopper later on. Way scary stuff. Has anyone heard anything else on the condition of the victim? I'm really curious to find out what he was doing at the time, huddling under a tree, out in the open, etc. My location when those strikes hit was probably less than ideal...

The sheriff's office is withholding more info for now. That's why I was hoping a BCPoster could fill in the blanks.

We just lost a Torrey local to a lightning strike while he was in the Posey Lake area last weekend. careful about those high spots, everyone. and stay away from the tall trees during a storm!

I was in upper Naturalist Basin camped at Morat Lakes, you were at Priord and Dan was at Pass Lake. Sounds like a bunch of Uintah-rats. At 5 on Saturday we were napping in the tent sitting out a thunderstorm. Climbed Aggasiz the next morning and got down back to the tent-haven just as the skies lit up again on Sunday. We heard no helos and saw no sign of the SAR effort. It is sure an active weather pattern with the monsoon now. We elected to put up our tents under trees for shelter and chose not the tallest trees. Best we can do AFAIK. AND get off the peak before the first close thunder, or before.