alternative to Opsak for odor-proof bags?

RyanP

Ever since I tried the Ursack/Opsak combo, I've never gone back to using a canister (unless required by regulation) or a traditional bear hang (except for few instances in remote desert environments where I was really not worried about any critters). I mostly trust the odor-proof Opsaks to do their job, as long as they haven't failed--sure, they're not perfectly odor-proof, but they reduce the smell radius by a lot. However, I'm sick of them failing on me. It's usually at the seal area, but sometimes it's pinprick holes. Either way, I would love it if there were a more durable alternative. I don't care if it's a little heavier or more expensive as long as it is more durable/reliable. Does anyone here know of any alternatives to consider?

I doubt there is a good solution that can be purchased once and used for multiple years.

I use OdorNo's heavy duty 2 gallon bags meant for storing adult diapers. It's very inexpensive, durable as long as you don't put stiff pointy packaging inside, and can also be used for trash or as a wag bag for short trips (but double-bag the deuce because eventually it'll stink). You can use it as a food bag for multiple trips, then repurpose it as a trash bag in the car or home. They're so cheap and light that I always carry an extra bag just in case I rip one (never happened) or for other uses like wet/dirty clothes.

I quickly spin the heavy bottom part full of food to twist the empty top part of the bag tightly, then fold the twisted part over and secure it with shock cord. I've never even seen signs of animal interest when used with an easily-reachable Ursack for well over 100 nights.

IMG_1124.jpg

I've had the same issues. I use Opsaks inside Ursack (heavier but much easier to deploy than finding a good hang). Be interesting to see what other ideas come up. Some use mylar bags like those used for freeze dried meals. Haven't seen testing against bears for either nyloflume or mylar. Gossamer Gear make another alternative to Opsak that seems more durable and is reasonably priced.
GGSmellyProof

I get three or four years out of my large ursak opsak.... even with them looking milky and crinkley the do not leak. My small ones a lot longer. Just lucky maybe?