Alstrom Point Road Conditions?

Jammer

❤2Hike
Has anybody been out on this road recently? I've never done it, but I think it's typically a pretty good road -- is that true? Has anybody been past the turn-off and continued on Croton Road toward Friendship Cove?

The BLM site says this section (Croton) is deeply rutted and that lower Smokey Mt Road is extremely muddy as of 3/30. I would love to know if anybody has a first-hand account of this.

I'm curious as I hope to drive out that way to drop a cache for my upcoming hike. If I think the drive is going to be too involved I will probably skip it and just force myself to carry more from the prior re-supply.

Thanks.

Make it a lake-side cache and I'll deliver it along with a cooler full of beer and some steaks. :)
I'm going to start going on these long treks with offers like this!!!! :D

Make it a lake-side cache and I'll deliver it along with a cooler full of beer and some steaks. :)

Man, I don't know if you were at all serious, but that would be awesome!

Unfortunately... the low lake levels would make this tough. (A rare case of me being bummed about low lake levels!) I'd have to come down Last Chance or Croton to the lake and that's probably 10-15 miles out of the way round trip which isn't really feasible. :( Even a cache at the road is going to be 3-4 miles extra.

Haha! Yeah, I'm totally serious. I'd happily help out any of you guys with some boat assistance out there. But yeah, in this case, that would be a long diversion. Keep it in mind for any future trips though. It would be cool to even mix up a trip with some routes otherwise impossible like taking the Black Trail down into the lower Escalante and then out the other side onto the Pollywog. So many cool route options when the water doesn't present such a road block.

Sorry I'm no help with the road conditions though.

Ooh Ooh Ooh. I want to be in on this! I have a good helpingJammer resume and I can be of real help if there are any accidents where Nick needs splinting. Whats the plan Whats the plan Whats the plan. (deep breaths).

I think the Alstrom Road is supposed to be easy but I have yet to drive it. Perhaps @IntrepidXJ the intrepid byway explorer has experience to share.

Last edited:
Oh

I think the Alstrom Road is supposed to be easy but I have yet to drive it. Perhaps @IntrepidXJ the intrepid byway explorer has experience to share.

the last time I've driven to Alstrom Point was in 2010 and it was super easy to get there. The the last part was a bit rockier
Great drive out there.

Too bad I can't drive out there in the next few weeks due to school.Otherwise I would have volunteered with the food delivery and combined it with a nice overnight camping trip

Been a few years since I drove out there, so my experience wouldn't be very current. Alstrom Road was easy in my Jeep, though. Never been up Croton.

I drove S from Escalante ~15 miles to Camp Flat in mid-March before stopping due to greasy mud. I'm sure it's dried out now unless they've had more storms. Up to that point it was low-clearance 2wd (besides the mud).

I drove to Alstrom Point on September 2014 in a Mini Cooper Countryman All4. The road would be easy in a jeep or any SUV. In something like my Mini or a Suburu, there is a little more challenge to the water crossings if the edges haven't been squashed down by other traffic. Finally, at the very end, right before reaching Alstrom Point, you've got some uphill with ledges/rocks. Just need to pick a good line if you don't have high clearance.

I also hit some mud patches, but nothing too nasty.

Edit: MINI @ Alstrom:
2014-09-11-18-00-32.jpg

Last edited: