Adirondack Day Hike Fall 2014

kwc

A little taste of Adirondack day hiking for BCP diversity ... from a couple years ago. The trail head for this hike is about an hour from our house. Much of this area was logged over 100 years ago ... and the first part of the trail follows an old tote road through the forest. This is all NYS land ... inside the "blue line" so therefore it's protected by the NYS constitution as "forever wild".

GZMnZ0ZvThgEQ2Li1MbsHmDUhfFxY7TfoIV9CevoKV49vuT2rRskNotIJTJkMxGxxVkZ_yEneNHKnl-E2iI=w293-h220-rw

Our destination for the day is Long Pond ...
JeROrJ4LgRUva7AM4H6fXXWVMas4zlH9WXi-kepOf5Nq7zfnRfsDXMfnYzDWI_vSO5EtFJLRNC1Zrz8gNfE=w165-h220-rw

Easy strolling through the woods
DLkcZuGhLwTsGcLojoqRHEDMD47M35GlBLb-_6lHH_oqRwHz5V3mKn1N7-lApHy_LDQtyGxJhDUArPfVScw=w293-h220-rw

some nice old white pines scattered along the trail
ymxDAOZfDm297oj-ICOp6ZcVoSbj7a4DDeheQFF51IEsyzMU4fckk1Hwlbbl3DtqDPAk0yFGRJLwA-myWH4=w165-h220-rw

gnarly ...
WQC4pW0TJB10UFsc5B8ksSsK_VzCo1G1Ws4XXpzB96RDRjBGNmuX5-UgZmUFl5JoTKuZJe1rKr7sw3-8ULA=w165-h220-rw

nice bright fall colors
QCSGbysfOe6-8v4Sq8GLVJE9zGMCK2ycdcqRK7rTmVYy0hd1C7MXx5NlLcvBNdXR_XSuIbwFWEDF1bwM-3Y=w293-h220-rw

almost to the pond
2mSwtq8pisg3wYshqS0eteAIRIc_qfYnaTt70WVgsy7OGz-5l3sPHf233qZFFckw8omjRbNLHdr82hBmG-g=w1255-h220-rw

pano of Long Pond ...
4RSTQENrpO7JbQE8we-eJ6lVPyOfS2vZQq3KdbqVz8OUupLVZuiz8uDZrwkoR6qopHbOGBhbVV1YPcR_fWY=w293-h220-rw

looking north along the pond
lFbxZpCdU35xd1qBr68qEJEj6FSrawwFm8bhAvGUeTIU74bmqnAMg51LEv1iS9lV6O2H7rBd9it5San3ZGg=w1132-h220-rw

another pano of Long Pond
pBp-DX_rus5XTsvGZ7T-2Wm9xdCLkt8P2xa5Qy_NIxBM2f6PceTBU_6wmJpcYkKMYzeIZjsp__AWflteFMQ=w293-h220-rw

close up of the cliffs across the pond
d4pI1svGou1Y_MYCsjQCfqNXo6wZLo4H0e3sH3K3-S7TE0OuMTnCX4aFJk3eviyJg7-QgL8TW9HdEpHTYHs=w293-h220-rw

reflections in the pond
X5gF9yLtTNCr_WA7NhfeCidaHb6-7xHUVxH_f3Lll3BJz1xpjTGSTxZ12QpnrcYbgDSTX8EY6VXq0ziaRso=w165-h220-rw

quite the tree ...
2JGMRTY8uSbhQu9APULfDO4pWjBBFt2RKOd_CRPjl9vuo5yngAJSW3n_PkPM3F9yhlf8rceKe88Z3TfTlik=w165-h220-rw

heading out

well, that didn't work out ... all photos were copied and pasted from my old picasa album ... they showed up as I created the post ... and then I get this when I created the thread/post. So I'm stumped.

Now this is the type of trip report I like! :)

Can you download your images from your Picassa album to a folder? Once everything is in the folder, just drag them into your report.

Hot linked photos are often problematic, especially now that sites are moving to secure connections (HTTPS). Not to mention the dozens of great reports that end up with broken image links weeks or months later because something changes at the image host or the user changes an album or something, not realizing it's still linked. Best practice is to upload them here but I'll look into why this is happening in this situation.

Checked into it, it's preventing the embedding of the images due to a security flaw that comes from the way the URL's are handled on the host side of things. So basically, upload them here or use a host that doesn't have that issue. Uploading here is much better though.

fullsizeoutput_1f69.jpeg
a more recent hike into Long Pond ... 2017 ... trail is a bit overgrown here & there ...
fullsizeoutput_1f6a.jpeg
large old field white pines ... the area was logged about 100 yrs ago or so ...
fullsizeoutput_1f70.jpeg
Long Pond cliffs ... DSCN6195.JPG
close up view of the cliffs ...fullsizeoutput_1f74.jpeg
this pair of loons entertained us throughout the afternoon ... going up & down the "pond"

fullsizeoutput_1f79.jpeg
on the way out ...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checking back to see if I missed any new pictures :)
I love the Adirondacks.... went there on our honeymoon.

I love seeing the ADK’s getting reported on and getting some love on here. Great pics. Thank you for sharing. So is this Long Pond up on the northwest boundary of the park in the St. Regis Canoe Area? I know there’s also a Little Long Pond and I’ve paddled Long Lake as part of a multi day trip. So many body’s of water up there to explore. Literally hundreds.

Worth the wait. It always jarring, in the most pleasant of ways, to see how green the northeast is. Thanks for posting!

I love seeing the ADK’s getting reported on and getting some love on here. Great pics. Thank you for sharing. So is this Long Pond up on the northwest boundary of the park in the St. Regis Canoe Area? I know there’s also a Little Long Pond and I’ve paddled Long Lake as part of a multi day trip. So many body’s of water up there to explore. Literally hundreds.

This hike is to Long Pond in the southern Adirondacks ... near Speculator. We've paddled Long Pond that's near the Fish Creek/Rollins Pond area. LOTS of paddling up that way for sure!

I have never seen a loon in real life or noticed thwm on TV or pictures, but they frighten me a little...! Haha
Thanks foe the share, looks so lush!