Adding Images to Posts

Backcountry Post

Official Information
Staff member
With the recent software upgrades on Backcountry Post, adding images to your posts and trip reports is easier than ever. You can upload your images directly, copy & paste them or hotlink to them on other websites. Watch the video below for more information on each method.

This may be just my incompetence showing, but I'm having trouble with some images rotating. The ones I take on my camera horizontally always upload just fine, but if I've taken some vertically, they come up rotated 90 degrees. I make sure to rotate the image on my computer so its upright before uploading it onto BCP. Also, when I upload photos from my phone that were taken horizontally, they come in upside-down. Is there a function on here to rotate images that I'm not aware of, or is it just something I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

@Nick It's a point and shoot. Sony Cybershot. Probably 2 1/2 years old. And my phone is a Galaxy S6.

The camera auto-rotates image files if I take them in portrait orientation. But no matter how many times I go in and rotate the file, it always comes out rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise. I guess the phone camera does that as well.

Well, first thing I found was that our site software has a feature that reads the EXIF data in photos to determine the way they should be oriented. So this basically shouldn't be happening. Are you running these photos through some other software before uploading?

And to the community; is anyone else experiencing similar issues?

Huh. Dang. All that I do is copy them directly from the SD card to the computer's hard drive. For both devices.

Thanks for looking into this!

Nick I have a dumb question for you. I copied and pasted my pictures from my facebook page and most of the pictures have disappeared now leaving a img box. What do I need to do to prevent that in the future or fix the ones that have disappeared. When you click on the image it says the url is expired.

My new Canon SX720HS camera shoots pictures at 20 megapixels. Backcountry post won't let me download any of my new pictures because the file is to big. I'm not sure if I can reduce the file in IPhoto to post. I'm not sure I really want to reset the picture quality in the camera to 10 mps just to post. Any suggestions?

My new Canon SX720HS camera shoots pictures at 20 megapixels. Backcountry post won't let me download any of my new pictures because the file is to big. I'm not sure if I can reduce the file in IPhoto to post. I'm not sure I really want to reset the picture quality in the camera to 10 mps just to post. Any suggestions?

On a Mac (since you mentioned iPhoto), open the pictures in Preview. In the tools menu, reduce the pixel dimensions then save a new copy. Upload that. To make the process easier, build an Automator workflow (Google it... it's easy). That way, you can select a whole bunch of files and process them in a single batch.

Nick I have a dumb question for you. I copied and pasted my pictures from my facebook page and most of the pictures have disappeared now leaving a img box. What do I need to do to prevent that in the future or fix the ones that have disappeared. When you click on the image it says the url is expired.

Sorry I missed this. The images likely aren't showing because of the permissions being set to just friends. It needs to be set to public. Facebook in general is a tough one for linking photos though.

There's an easier way to resize your photos right out of the Photos app in Mac OS. Highlight the photos, then go to the File menu and select Export. Expand the options and you can then select the file size you want.

upload_2016-7-4_13-17-50.png

It defaults to full size. Select large and you should be good to go.

upload_2016-7-4_13-18-26.png

If you're actually still using the old iPhoto app, it has a similar process. All of the photos will then get batched out at a reasonable size for sharing, emailing, etc.

@Nick "If you're actually still using the old iPhoto app, it has a similar process. All of the photos will then get batched out at a reasonable size for sharing, emailing, etc. "
Yes I am. This unit was bought in 2006. I'm told I will be able to do less and less as the operating system can't keep up with the technology. Will have to break down and get a new Apple one of these days. For now it still gets me by.
Thanks @ashergrey for the info. I couldn't get it to preview. Nick's method worked just fine.
Thanks you guys. I often feel like an infant when trying to figure things out on computers.
Here's 1 of the oversized pics to prove it works.

IMG_0056.jpg

The third method here - copying your trip report from another forum with photos included - does that lose quite a bit of quality in the pictures' resolution and focus/clarity compared to the uploading on to BCP method? (it almost sounds like the equivalent of a photo of a photo, but I may be wrong)

The third method here - copying your trip report from another forum with photos included - does that lose quite a bit of quality in the pictures' resolution and focus/clarity compared to the uploading on to BCP method? (it almost sounds like the equivalent of a photo of a photo, but I may be wrong)

Sorry for the late reply, Ross. You already know from the other thread but I'll answer here for others in case they see it. You should't ever copy a trip report from another forum, only your own blog, and even then there could be issues. Developments in internet security since this thread started is making it harder and harder to deal with externally linked images. The best thing to do is upload your images directly here to our secure server.