Across Utah Map

Jammer

❤2Hike
Hey All --

As alluded to in previous threads where I complained some about the new Google Maps, I've been working on a personal mapping project. For a while now I've wanted to share the data I've collected on my long hikes. I keep all of this in Google Earth, but wanted to post it via my website with some options for user customization. I finally found a solution that I'm semi-happy with, so I thought I'd share:

www.AcrossUtah.com/map

There's not much to see at first, but use the side panel to turn on Water Resources, Points of Interest, Obstacles and other categories to see the bulk of content. Note that most of the placemarks are clickable and pop-up more information and in most cases a photo of the location. For instance, the Water placemarks pop-up with more detail on my experience re: reliability.

MapRef.jpg

The map is primarily focused on my treks, so it might not be of use to everyone. But hopefully some will find it helpful for their trip planning across common ground.

It's an on-going process as I add polish with new features and additional content. But, if I waited until I was 'done', I would never get it online. In that light, let me know what you think and definitely ping me if you hit any snags with specific browser/OS set-ups as I haven't really done testing on various platforms.

Thanks,
- Jamal

Amazing resource! Thank you so much for sharing all of this. I'm personally trying to piece together a route in that upper Paria area. This helps a lot for that small portion, but I'm more excited about new route I can use this for, such as Happy Canyon.

Love your stuff Jamal, thanks for sharing.

I like your results. Very excellent! I'll use it in the future.

I took a slightly different course with my map and broke it down into different areas and linked into each area from a master map. Overall, meh, but it works just the same. The submaps are much better.

<iframe src="https://mapsengine.google.com/map/embed?mid=zxMfh3VMG9a8.kP1d5AxMANVE" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

I took a slightly different course with my map and broke it down into different areas and linked into each area from a master map.

Yeah -- I like that method too. I actually thought about going this way as well, but wanted to be able to toggle on/off layers across different areas. I started to investigate a way to do both, but gave up. I also got to thinking it might be better for my audience if they are looking at thru hikes to see adjacent regions at the same time.

I really wanted to only show select POIs at higher zoom levels. I figured out how to do this, but it didn't work with my KML exports and I didn't want to have to re-create that content. I also talked myself into the idea that this could be "a feature not a bug" as this way one can easily tell where placemarks are w/o zooming in and 'fishing'.

Thanks,

- Jamal

Wow, really cool. Since I haven't been on bcp long, hadn't read about your long trips. I just read one of your old reports, loved the story of going across Canyonlands. I've never done very long backpacks in the desert, but with a resource like this for water I can see doing it, thanks.

Wow, great resource. Thanks for sharing...

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Laura Annual Photography Trip Across Southern Utah Photography 27
Christian 1,764 Miles Across Utah and Arizona Hiking & Camping 6
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 4 Backpacking 17
TrailScot Quite the Adventure, South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 3 Backpacking 8
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 2 Backpacking 14
TrailScot Quite the Adventure - South of Moab, Across the Colorado Plateau, May 2019 - Part 1 Backpacking 10
Parma American man first to solo across Antarctica unaided General Discussion 21
Daryl Yarbrough Chesler Park loop, float across river to The Maze Trip Planning 11
Artemus Amethyst Pass route across the Uintas Divide Backpacking 8
B Southern Utah March suggestions? Trip Planning 5
desertvic Howdy from rural Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
Ugly Floating Island- Utah Trip Planning 8
Normie Invite Looking for shuttle partner -- two trips in Southern Utah Meet Up (Members Only) 5
J Identify the spot Utah: I don't know where it is General Discussion 2
BeardoMcGrath Oh look yet another Utah conditions thread: mid May 2023 Trip Planning 9
Vegan.Hiker 8 day trip to Utah Trip Planning 10
ww.joedirt.do Hello from Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Martyn Hi from Hurricane Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 1
B Good trips in Southern Utah given current conditions Trip Planning 26
saltybird SE Utah NPs in April Trip Planning 12
C Grand Gulch Cedar Mesa Utah 11 Day Backpack October 2022 Backpacking 10
T Amazing Discovery in Utah-Glen Canyon Trip Planning 65
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
regehr recent Utah meteorite General Discussion 0
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Final Part Backpacking 11
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 5 Backpacking 3
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 4 Backpacking 10
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 3 Backpacking 4
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 2 Backpacking 5
TrailScot "I Would Walk 500 Miles ..." - A Utah Adventure - April 2022 - Part 1 Backpacking 6
Rudolf_The_Red Hello from BFE, Utah! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
H location of thirteen faces-horse canyon Utah Hiking & Camping 4
TrailScot Dripping Canyon to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa, Utah - March 2022 Hiking & Camping 7
H Horse Canyon needles district Utah Off Road 0
S Howdy from Utah!! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
D jackets found in southern Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
kwc Southern Utah Accommodations Question General Discussion 10
C Utah Mountains in Late May Trip Planning 12
CodyL Southern Utah in January Backpacking 14
T Southern Utah Backpacking ideas for MLK Weekend? Trip Planning 21
U greetings from southwest Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 3
Jumper84 Hello from Kearns, Utah Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
Parma The Best Arch in Utah is... General Discussion 20
Jazerrad Parunweap Canyon / The Barracks (Utah) Trip Planning 4
TrektheWorld Utah Trip - last weekend of October 2021 Meet Up (Members Only) 2
garyhost Cedar Mesa Utah Trip. Conditions? Water? Trip Planning 8
GramaNana Newbie Overnight with REI gear - Farmington, Utah May 2021 Hiking & Camping 12
GramaNana Seeking Short Overnights in Utah General Discussion 5
AnneMarieO Food protection in SE Utah? General Discussion 2
GramaNana Hello from Utah - future GWT hiker Noobs: Introduce yourself! 11