Access to North Rim during off-season

Vegan.Hiker

Does anyone know what the best way is to access the North Kaibab trailhead at the very end of April? From the searching online, it seems the Park roads are closed to cars until May 15th. I read that the highway from Jacob Lake to the park is closed during that time as well, and that's 50 miles away. Is 50 miles away really the closest that I could get dropped off by car to the trailhead?

I'm interested in having a cab drop me off within a day's hiking distance to the yurt near the North Kaibab trailhead if that's at all possible. I'd have snowshoes, not skis.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I think you might struggle. The simplest way to get to North Kaibab trailhead in winter is to hike there from the South Rim ;) From my understanding, in early November gates across Highway 67 are closed both at Jacob Lake and 45 miles further down the road at the North Rim entrance kiosk. They remain closed until early/mid May. However, only access for public vehicles is restricted during this time - you can still ski or snowshoe into the park should you wish.

I don't believe a cab or any other public vehicle will legally be able to get you any closer than Jacob Lake. In theory you could get there via a network of primitive Forest Service roads if you had a good vehicle but I can imagine those roads would be a real mess after the winter.

Thanks Dan. That pretty much confirms everything else I could find online. Sounds like I'll have to wait for another time to do this.

Road is closed at Jacobs lake untill usually may 15. Other forest roads sometimes are open of snow but its a crap shoot that early.... Farther west in the canyon is usually accessable

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Titans What’s your unfinished business? Hard canyon access, mtn peak, you name it! General Discussion 54
H Access to Grand Gulch via Water Canyon Trip Planning 2
TrailScot Step Canyon access to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa Trip Planning 17
JDWalters Access to Escalante River/Lake Powell near Cathedral in the Desert Trip Planning 7
swmalone Looking for Info On How to Access Newfoundland Mountains Trip Planning 1
H Wahweep Hoodoos access road Trip Planning 1
Jackson Slickhorn Canyon Access and Water Trip Planning 8
C Escalante - Access & River Flow Trip Planning 5
balzaccom Access for those with a disability General Discussion 0
Writhdar Waterpocket Canyon (Capitol Reef) non-technical access to upper part? General Discussion 1
uintahiker Waterway Access General Discussion 0
Nick Escalante access from Fortymile Ridge Trip Planning 7
Nick Choprock East Access Trip Planning 3
J Back again, looking for different access points for Death Hollow...... Trip Planning 9
Bob Cathedral of the Desert, Clear Creek - Top Access Resource Discussions 5
Duke Which Lakes on the Boulder have no vehicle access General Discussion 7
mike_offerman Hammond Canyon access Trip Planning 0
uintahiker Utah Waterway Access Legislation General Discussion 1
TheDunedain Sleeping ute access? Trip Planning 2
D Access Recommendations to Cottonwood Cove , South Coyote Buttes Trip Planning 3
Bill White Pocket Access... Trip Planning 4
Timber High Sierra - North Lake to South Lake Loop - Layover Day Trip Planning 9
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
kwc Wandering about In Theodore Roosevelt NP (north unit) Hiking & Camping 5
scatman North Ridge of City Creek Canyon - February 4, 2023 Hiking & Camping 17
kwc Round Lake, north central Adirondacks, in the Round Lake Wilderness On The Water 2
Udink North of Arches Hiking & Camping 6
Janice The Wave - and SO MUCH MORE! (Coyote Buttes North, South, White Pocket, Buckskin, Condors, Bighorns...) - Part 1 Hiking & Camping 14
scatman North Pitchstone Trail, Headwaters of Ouzel Creek, Bechler River and Mr. Bubbles(?) - Yellowstone National Park - September 13, 2021 Backpacking 36
K North To Alaska - The Aleutians and More Everything Else 3
OwenM Anyone here familiar with North Cascades NP? Trip Planning 9
Chuck the Mauler Sierra North Lake / South Lake "loop" questions Trip Planning 10
Bob Morris North Inlet Trail Trip Planning 3
scatman North Summit, Mount Olympus - July 3, 2021 Hiking & Camping 12
BJett Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness Area. North Carolina. Backpacking 0
RyanP North Fork Bull Lake Creek Trip Planning 35
BackpackingtheSierras Republic Pass Trail North Absaroka into Yellowstone Cache Creek and Lamar River Trip Planning 1
NorthwestWanderer North Cascades NP : Dee Dee Lakes & the Mcallister Ledge Backpacking 0
NorthwestWanderer North Cascades - Cutthroat/Granite/snowy lakes passes Backpacking 3
scatman North Summit, Mount Olympus - October 17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 16
U Favorite sites in Glacier in North Fork, Lake McDonald or Cole/Nyack? Looking at mid july Trip Planning 2
Bob Grand Canyon North Rim wildfire Trip Planning 4
J North Cascades National Park Black and Corteo Peaks Traverse Aug 21-23, 2007 Retro Backpacking 3
U Glacier North Circle Loop Mid July - Looking for an alternative back-up plan for a 3-4 nighter Trip Planning 0
Mikjik86 FULL Video Part 2 Backpacking Glacier National Park "North Circle Route" Backpacking 0
Dhuff3243 North Fork Robbers Roost and Blarney canyon Trip Planning 0
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park (Part 2 Preview) "North Circle Route" Montana, August 2019 Backpacking 2
J Lake Mead Natl Recreation Area North Shore scramble fun. Nov. 28-30, 2019 Hiking & Camping 5
Mikjik86 Backpacking Glacier National Park - North Circle Route Part 1 Preview Video. Backpacking 1
Chuck the Mauler North Lake - South Lake questions Trip Planning 4