Access to Escalante River/Lake Powell near Cathedral in the Desert

JDWalters

I may be back in Utah in a month or two and was hoping to hike to Reflection Canyon. While I was down that way, I thought it would be nice to see Cathedral in the Desert. I've read on here about hiking in, but I don't know how I would get below the waterfall by anyway other than floating in. My thought was that I could hike from Hole in the Rock Rd to a point northeast of CITD (37.311619, -110.898380) and then packraft down to and then up Clear Creek. It's hard to tell from Google Earth and even topo maps if this would work -- specifically getting into the Escalante/Lake Powell with my packraft and then exiting later on to return the same way that I came. Any thoughts?

You won't be able to climb down at those coords you posted. The only good access in that area, aside from going down a canyon, is the old Black Trail. It uses a narrow ledge on a fin. It's pretty narrow and sketchy in one spot so may not be suitable for everyone. This is where it's at: 37.311441, -110.905423

That said, I get that you seem to be going for the most popular locations in the area, but is it really worth it? The Reflection Canyon hike is an absolute joke, in my opinion. There are so many better destinations in that area that you could hike to in a much shorter distance. And you can look off a canyon rim into Lake Powell from a million other places that are closer. Maybe that one over-photographed little twist and tower is worth the walk for some folks, but I am completely dumbfounded by it.

Cathedral is cool, but it's not that cool when you weigh the effort to get there the way you describe vs. that time and effort being spent doing something way better like a packraft loop through a couple of the canyons in that area. Not trying to be a downer on your plan, hike your own hike, ya know. Just felt like adding my .02 on that as someone who's been through that area in quite a bit of detail.

Another access you could use is the Jackass Trail: 37.265767, -110.869989. Not as close as the other for Cathedral, but maybe good for a point-to-point without having to paddle the extra distance to Hole-in-the-Rock.

Go directly into the Cathedral from the top... . Then out via the lake. Only one 85 free rap, everything else is scramble and lower packs. Then rap into the lake itself

Thanks for the access suggestion, @Nick . I will probably pass on that, as I will have limited time (as it seems I always have when I'm out there) and don't want to get to that fin and decide that I'm too chicken to do it. I admit that the hike to Reflection Canyon doesn't excite me, but camping there does -- plus, I'm intrigued to see it at lower water levels; I think that the fins should be visible this year. I would be happy to learn of better options in the area though. I had thought about Willow or Davis Gulch, but I will have limited time, and will be by myself so I won't have two cars (and drivers) at my disposal.

@Bob, thanks for the suggestion, but I've only gone rappelling a few times in my life, and definitely wouldn't feel comfortable attempting that by myself.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Escalante - Access & River Flow Trip Planning 5
Nick Escalante access from Fortymile Ridge Trip Planning 7
Titans What’s your unfinished business? Hard canyon access, mtn peak, you name it! General Discussion 54
H Access to Grand Gulch via Water Canyon Trip Planning 2
TrailScot Step Canyon access to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa Trip Planning 17
swmalone Looking for Info On How to Access Newfoundland Mountains Trip Planning 1
H Wahweep Hoodoos access road Trip Planning 1
Jackson Slickhorn Canyon Access and Water Trip Planning 8
balzaccom Access for those with a disability General Discussion 0
Writhdar Waterpocket Canyon (Capitol Reef) non-technical access to upper part? General Discussion 1
Vegan.Hiker Access to North Rim during off-season Trip Planning 3
uintahiker Waterway Access General Discussion 0
Nick Choprock East Access Trip Planning 3
J Back again, looking for different access points for Death Hollow...... Trip Planning 9
Bob Cathedral of the Desert, Clear Creek - Top Access Resource Discussions 5
Duke Which Lakes on the Boulder have no vehicle access General Discussion 7
mike_offerman Hammond Canyon access Trip Planning 0
uintahiker Utah Waterway Access Legislation General Discussion 1
TheDunedain Sleeping ute access? Trip Planning 2
D Access Recommendations to Cottonwood Cove , South Coyote Buttes Trip Planning 3
Bill White Pocket Access... Trip Planning 4
B Is there water at Colt Mesa tank - Escalante Trip Planning 6
desertvic The Grand Staircase Escalante NM needs you! Meet Up (Members Only) 1
TrailScot Hole-in-the-Rock Road - Escalante General Discussion 11
G Escalante area 4-5 night backpack trip suggestions in late September. Loop if possible. Limit technical sections if any. Thanks! Backpacking 6
canadug Escalante area exploring Trip Planning 0
TrailScot Escalante Loop via Dry Hollow and Boulder Mail Trail - September 2023 Backpacking 8
Kullaberg63 Suggestions for Escalante east of river, south of Choprock Trip Planning 4
fossana A challenging week on the Escalante Overland Route Backpacking 21
fossana Public comment for revised Grand Staircase Escalante NM management plan (comments open 11 Aug - 9 Nov) General Discussion 11
BJett Part 3 - Tour de Canyon Country. Lower Escalante Loop Hiking & Camping 0
radioradio Sad Cowboy Traverse - A Week in Escalante Backpacking 12
F Upper Escalante River Backpack conditions Trip Planning 6
radioradio Anxious About Escalante Trip Planning 64
regehr Escalante dumpsters Trip Planning 9
regehr potable water in Escalante town? Trip Planning 6
D Fox Canyon Escalante? General Discussion 7
Janice Water questions - Escalante area Trip Planning 38
Duketogo13 BMT- Death Hollow-Escalante Triangle loop Trip Planning 20
Janice Cosmic Ashtray via Wolverine/Little Death Hollow & Escalante River? Trip Planning 16
Duketogo13 Questions about packrafting the Escalante/Lake Powell in September. Need help! Trip Planning 5
priz1234 The Gulch Escalante 4/17-4/18 Backpacking 2
RyanP Conditions (water/bugs) for Escalante/Death Hollow Trip Planning 27
J Escalante Natl. Mon. to Bryce N.P. the (unknown) Final Dayhikes April 15-16, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
Bob Lost in the Escalante .......... Blast from the Past Backpacking 6
Bob A short Escalante trip end of April Backpacking 5
swmalone Restaurant Suggestions for Escalante or Boulder General Discussion 11
S Packrafting Escalante - FiftyMile Creek and low water level Lake Powell Trip Planning 8
swmalone Camping suggestions for Escalante in May Trip Planning 2
Muddy Waters Stevens, Fold, Escalante River, Fools, Kings Mesa Trip Reports 3