Access Recommendations to Cottonwood Cove , South Coyote Buttes

Des

Hi there,

Looking for advice as to best route in to Cottonwood Cove in late March .

We will of course check with the BLM office on road conditions before leaving.

We are planning to rent an offroad 4WD vehicle in Page, but are nervous that these roads might need considerable 4WD expertise. Is it possible to get in without having to deflate tyres etc... We will be issued with a shovel and matting as well...

It seems to me that coming in on BLM 1017 proceeding through BLM 1066 and then BLM 1081 is the 'easiest' way to get in. As novice 4WD'ers it seems as if the more direct route from Paw Hole is much more challenging due to a hill and deep sand! We are equipped with a GPS as well and have the GPS coordinates of all key points of entry via the BLM 1017.

Any recommendations? Should we be considering a guide to do this rather than going in on our own?

We also plan to do an overnight stop at White Pocket, but it seems as in that case, someone with strong 4WD skills with driving on sand is required.

Any comments HUGELY appreciated!

Jonathan

I've been to White Pocket 6 times now and to Cottonwood Cove 4. All in my 4WD Toyota Tundra. The first time was scary because I had read all the cautionary tales and had never driven in sand. I took the "easy" way up. Since then I have taken every jeep trail I have found out there and have not gotten stuck, although I did have a case or two of white knuckles. My advice is to have a real 4WD vehicle and know ahead of time how to engage it. I have never had to deflate my tires, but in case I do I take along a battery-powered inflator as well as a good old hand pump. And I take along a few remnant carpet strips to put under the tires for traction in case I get stuck. (I have no idea if this works, but I keep them rolled up in the back.) Also, of course, take enough water for a couple of days and let somebody know you're going. If you do get stuck somebody will probably be coming along before long, given the popularity of the area. I suggest you take the "easy" way up from the south the first time, to get a feel for what you and your vehicle can do. Then you will have a better idea of how to proceed.

Be sure your vehicle has high clearance as well as 4WD. My brother followed me last time in a Ford Expedition and he didn't get stuck but he did scrape bottom a couple of times on protruding rocks.

With regard to driving technique, my only advice is to keep your speed up. And tell your passengers to hang on!

Good luck!

All that John Fowler said.
I also carry a battery powered tire inflator. I have deflated the tires a bit if it has been really dry and no precip for a long time. Very dry means looser sand. Precip firms sand up. I believe the main bad spot going up the Pawhole rt, is just past the pond that is the Pawhole. I'd go the longer way round. You can come back down Pawhole rt on return.
Main thing on sand is momentum, moving forward. Always keep moving thru the sand spots and you can stop on the rock or hard spots. When coming out of Whitepocket look up the hill before you start. You want momentum going up and hopefully no one driving down at the same time.

By all means take it slow over the rocks. You want to avoid tire punctures and scraping the underside of the vehicle.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Titans What’s your unfinished business? Hard canyon access, mtn peak, you name it! General Discussion 54
H Access to Grand Gulch via Water Canyon Trip Planning 2
TrailScot Step Canyon access to Grand Gulch, Cedar Mesa Trip Planning 17
JDWalters Access to Escalante River/Lake Powell near Cathedral in the Desert Trip Planning 7
swmalone Looking for Info On How to Access Newfoundland Mountains Trip Planning 1
H Wahweep Hoodoos access road Trip Planning 1
Jackson Slickhorn Canyon Access and Water Trip Planning 8
C Escalante - Access & River Flow Trip Planning 5
balzaccom Access for those with a disability General Discussion 0
Writhdar Waterpocket Canyon (Capitol Reef) non-technical access to upper part? General Discussion 1
Vegan.Hiker Access to North Rim during off-season Trip Planning 3
uintahiker Waterway Access General Discussion 0
Nick Escalante access from Fortymile Ridge Trip Planning 7
Nick Choprock East Access Trip Planning 3
J Back again, looking for different access points for Death Hollow...... Trip Planning 9
Bob Cathedral of the Desert, Clear Creek - Top Access Resource Discussions 5
Duke Which Lakes on the Boulder have no vehicle access General Discussion 7
mike_offerman Hammond Canyon access Trip Planning 0
uintahiker Utah Waterway Access Legislation General Discussion 1
TheDunedain Sleeping ute access? Trip Planning 2
Bill White Pocket Access... Trip Planning 4
Portplant65 Looking for multi-day recommendations for San Rafeal Swell Backpacking 2
radioradio Northern California Quickie Recommendations Trip Planning 2
B March at Valley of Fire other recommendations in the area Trip Planning 7
D San Rafael Swell Recommendations Trip Planning 9
F Looking for tent recommendations Gear 20
R Pony Express Trail Hiking Recommendations Trip Planning 4
RyanP Snowy Range (WY) easy backpacking recommendations? Trip Planning 4
The Trout Whisperer HELP w/ lightweight chair recommendations!!!!! Gear 3
D Recommendations in the Gros Ventre and Washakie Wilderness Areas Trip Planning 10
U Any recommendations for 5 days hiking in Wyoming, Idaho or MT? This is around July 15-20. Not counting on Glacier being open Trip Planning 9
J East Coast to Unitas Trip Recommendations Trip Planning 4
seekinglost Recommendations for a company that does custom gear mods? Which fabrics/materials? Gear 11
fossana Tucson area trails/site recommendations Trip Planning 7
Janice Recommendations for Colorado Backpack? Backpacking 25
D Western Mountaineering sleeping bag recommendations plz General Discussion 5
A Recommendations for early July? Trip Planning 0
Miya Personal Locator Beacon Recommendations? Gear 84
Shirt357 Camera recommendations Gear 3
Kootenai Red Castle recommendations? Trip Planning 1
Yvonne Hiking Shoe Recommendations Gear 7
C Recommendations for 4 day Backpacking in Southern Utah with dogs please... Trip Planning 1
WasatchWill Family/Kid friendly recommendations for Joshua Tree NP Trip Planning 4
M Capitol Reef backcountry recommendations? Trip Planning 9
Dirkules Good multi-day hike "Island in the Sky" - your recommendations?! Trip Planning 2
Bob Wire Binocular recommendations General Discussion 1
N Trip Recommendations- Grand Staircase Escalante Area 7 days Trip Planning 11
605troutbum Down Jacket Recommendations Gear 21
S Need recommendations for Uintas this weekend Trip Planning 2
astark15 Late spring backpacking recommendations? Noobs: Introduce yourself! 7