Absaroka Beartooth near Yellowstone

Walkin' Fool

Last year my husband and I did a 3-day backpack in northern Yellowstone, starting from the Blacktail Plateau Trail to the Yellowstone River, then north out of the park where we stayed the second night near the Hellroaring Patrol Cabin. It was my first time in Yellowstone, and I was blown away by the open vistas, the wildlife, and the lack of people after a few miles.

We're putting together another trip this summer (mid-late August), and I would love to be in a similar kind of area. I also think it would be neat to visit and stay near some of the old patrol cabins. With very little information other than maps and Google Earth, I have an idea of a trip that I'd love feedback on.

Day 1, starting from the trailhead south of the Copper Creek TH, south of Independence, head south on the Buffalo Divide/Fork Trail to the Buffalo Fork Patrol Cabin. Day 2, head south on the Tucker Creek Trail and to the Slough Creek Patrol Cabin. Day 3, hike to Horseshoe Lake. Day 4, head north on the 310 Trail to Lake of the Woods Trail, meet up with Slough Creek Trail, and back to Independence.

Other than generally, “Does this sound like a stupid trip,” some specific questions:

-Is Independence ghost town and the trailhead just south of that accessible in a Subaru Outback?
-Are there are good opportunities to put a tent w/water accessible between Horseshoe Lake and the trailhead, maybe along Slough Creek? That would be a long day, otherwise.
-It looks like there would be some road walking at the end. Is that more like an old logging/mining road, or a real road? How bad would it suck to end the trip with that road walk? Any chance for a hitch?
-Any problematic water crossings?

And of course, if there are other suggestions for a 4-5 day trip with the same kind of vibe we had last year, I would love to hear them!! (We're trying to stay out of the park so we don't have to deal with permits.)

Thank you!!

-Is Independence ghost town and the trailhead just south of that accessible in a Subaru Outback?
-Are there are good opportunities to put a tent w/water accessible between Horseshoe Lake and the trailhead, maybe along Slough Creek? That would be a long day, otherwise.
-It looks like there would be some road walking at the end. Is that more like an old logging/mining road, or a real road? How bad would it suck to end the trip with that road walk? Any chance for a hitch?

And of course, if there are other suggestions for a 4-5 day trip with the same kind of vibe we had last year, I would love to hear them!! (We're trying to stay out of the park so we don't have to deal with permits.)

Thank you!!
Last year my husband and I did a 3-day backpack in northern Yellowstone, starting from the Blacktail Plateau Trail to the Yellowstone River, then north out of the park where we stayed the second night near the Hellroaring Patrol Cabin. It was my first time in Yellowstone, and I was blown away by the open vistas, the wildlife, and the lack of people after a few miles.

We're putting together another trip this summer (mid-late August), and I would love to be in a similar kind of area. I also think it would be neat to visit and stay near some of the old patrol cabins. With very little information other than maps and Google Earth, I have an idea of a trip that I'd love feedback on.

Day 1, starting from the trailhead south of the Copper Creek TH, south of Independence, head south on the Buffalo Divide/Fork Trail to the Buffalo Fork Patrol Cabin. Day 2, head south on the Tucker Creek Trail and to the Slough Creek Patrol Cabin. Day 3, hike to Horseshoe Lake. Day 4, head north on the 310 Trail to Lake of the Woods Trail, meet up with Slough Creek Trail, and back to Independence.

Other than generally, “Does this sound like a stupid trip,” some specific questions:

Thank you!!

I'm not going to be too much help but I do think you can get an Outback to the Copper Creek TH. That road definitely turns to Jeep trail not far above there. I remember one sketchy place before Independence but I think it was above Copper Creek. Not much to see in Independence but there are a few cabins/mining remains not far above there on the road to Independence Trail/Blue Lake. There is also a big mess former(?) outfitters camp-probably put out of business by canis lupus.

I'm not going to be too much help but I do think you can get an Outback to the Copper Creek TH. That road definitely turns to Jeep trail not far above there. I remember one sketchy place before Independence but I think it was above Copper Creek. Not much to see in Independence but there are a few cabins/mining remains not far above there on the road to Independence Trail/Blue Lake. There is also a big mess former(?) outfitters camp-probably put out of business by canis lupus.

Thanks so much for the info!

We were planning a trip there the last week of June / first week of July. I'm concerned the snowpack will still be too much for us to pull this off. You might want to check out a couple of the videos on YouTube from My Own Frontier. He's done many trips there and has a couple videos on the area that might be helpful.