5-6 Days, High Uintas

DCUnit

Is it summer yet?!?!?
I'm planning a trip for the High Uintas for 5 or 6 days in July or August for 4 people.
I was wondering if anyone had some favorite spots or good trip suggestions. We'd be open to either doing a long loop or setting up a base camp and doing different day trips, though I think we'd prefer the day trips option. I know there are a lot of lakes in different parts of the Uintas and we'd be doing a lot of fishing as well. So, any suggestions?

Welcome to backcountrypost DCUnit!

You have a lot of options with that much time. The big kicker will be whether you can pull together the resources to do a shuttle trip or if you need to do a pt to pt. A lot of the alluring shuttle options involve some pretty significant drive times between, making them not so desirable. Where have you been in the Uintas so far?

We're thinking point to point. Once we get to the Uintas I want to park the car and leave it. We went to the Washington Lake area last year with the intention of just hiking around for a week without a lot of destination planning, but I got sick the first night and we had to leave. So I really haven't been anywhere in the Uintas yet. I want to do a little more planning this year and actually have some destinations in mind. Because I haven't been anywhere I was wondering what some favorite spots were.

You didn't miss much. There are a lot of short trips in the Washington Lake area but with more than a couple days to spend, I wouldn't even consider it.

One of my favorite point-to-points is to hike between West Fork Black's Fork and the Highline Trailhead, crossing Rocky Sea and Dead Horse Passes. It's about 35 miles point to point. I've done it in 3-days but it could easily be stretched into 5-6 if you were exploring, fishing and relaxing along the way. Or, if you're feeling more adventurous, a loop combining West Fork Blacks Fork and either fork of the East Fork Bear River would be even better on the scenery scale. So the long version would be up WFBF, over Dead Horse Pass into Rock Creek and then over the old 'Priord Pass' and down to Priord Lake and back to the East Fork Trailhead. That would be awesome. Shorter version would be combining Allsop and Dead Horse by crossing the untrailed unofficial 'Allsop Pass' between those two lakes.

After those options, I'd consider a loop combining Red Castle and either Henry's Fork or the Little East Fork. Either could be stretched into a 5-6 day trip and offers excellent scenery. You could toss in a summit of King's Peak with a Red Castle-Henry's Fork combo.

Here are some of my trip reports for some of the mentioned areas. There are others from these areas on BCP, just do some searching. Lots of good stuff.

Highline to WFBF:
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/uintas-highline-th-to-west-fork-blacks-fork.50/#post-280

Priord Lake Trail Guide & Trip Report
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/trail-guides/priord-lake.4/
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/priord-lake-uintas.1146/

Allsop Lake Trail Guide & Trip Report
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/trail-guides/allsop-lake.46/
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/allsop-lake-high-uintas-wilderness.137/

Red Castle & Little East Fork Loop
http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/red-castle-little-east-fork-blacks-fork-uintas.823/

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
WasatchWill The High Uintas 4-4-4: Four Basins, Four Passes, Four Days Backpacking 20
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Lysefjorden/Kjerag/Kjerag Waterfall/Kjeragbolten, 4 days Solo Hiking high above the Norwegian Fjords Trip Reports 2
fossana A taste of the GR11: 6 Days on the Travesía Pirenaica (High Pyrenees, Spain) Backpacking 18
Boognish Four days in the High Sierra Backpacking 10
LarryBoy Absarokas Fun Route - 12 Days of High Adventure Backpacking 21
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 7 through 10 Backpacking 34
scatman Yellowstone's Thorofare, Headwaters of Thorofare Creek, Majo Pass, Younts Peak, Bob's Canyon, and Cub Creek - August 9, 2023 - Days 1 through 6 Backpacking 56
B 5 Days in the Sawtooths Backpacking 2
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
Bob The Thorofare to Brooks Lake - 9 Days in Pictures Backpacking 10
RyanP Four Days in the IPW (8/9 - 8/12) Backpacking 17
D Four Days in the Maze, April 17-20 2023 Backpacking 7
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 9 of 9, 7-29 & 30, /2022 Backpacking 5
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 8 of 9, 7/28/2022 Backpacking 5
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 7 of 9, July 26-27, 2022 Backpacking 13
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 6, 7/25/2022 Backpacking 17
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 5 of 9, 7/23-24, 2022 Backpacking 10
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 4 of 9, 7/22, 2022 Backpacking 4
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 3 of 9, 7/20-21, 2022 Backpacking 2
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 2, 7/19/2022 Backpacking 4
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 1, 7/15-18, 2022 Backpacking 13
norwegianxplorer 6 days Backpacking Norway in the Fall (Part 2) Backpacking 4
norwegianxplorer 6 days backpacking Jotunheimen in the fall Trip Reports 4
regehr King's in two days Hiking & Camping 5
Desertratgal 5 Days Solo Packrafting Canyonlands On The Water 4
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
Bob Slickhorn Canyon System - 6 days Backpacking 22
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
J Death Valley Natl. Pk. 6 Days hiking. Nov 14-19, 2021 Hiking & Camping 1
norwegianxplorer Finding Hidden Glacier, 9 days backpacking Jotunheimen National Park Pt3, Norway. Trip Reports 0
norwegianxplorer 5 days Backpacking Rondane National Park, Norway Backpacking 3
norwegianxplorer 10 days Backpacking Femundsmarka National Park and Rogen Nature Reserve, Norway and Sweden Backpacking 8
napatony13 1100 Miles, 43 Days, Summits All 58 14ers in Colorado General Discussion 4
Titans Reflections in ponds: 4 days in The Adirondacks, Sept 1-4, 2021 Hiking & Camping 5
Janice 7 Breathtaking Days in the Winds Trip Reports 15
2eez4life 4 days 3 nights in the Uintas Trip Planning 9
Bob Bob Marshall - 7 days Backpacking 7
Laura V. Four Days in Salt Creek Canyon, April 2021 Backpacking 31
NorthwestWanderer 4 Days Backpacking Capitol Reef : Spring Canyon & Various side canyons Backpacking 5
norwegianxplorer Ski Dogs, Norway, fun days off piste ski touring amazing conditions Winter Sports 0
J A few days in Mojave National Preserve Dec. 5-7, 2020 Hiking & Camping 9
J N. Mojave Desert Rambles and Scrambles (start of 40 desert days) Nov. 14-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 4
LarryBoy Five Days on Boulder Mountain Backpacking 5
Hiker Seth A few days in Baxter SP Backpacking 5
W 9 Days Solo Escalante Loop in October (water advice) - Stevens Canyon, Baker Route over Waterpocket fold, Halls Narrows to Moody Canyons Trip Planning 11
norwegianxplorer Summiting Mount Whitney from Guitar Lake, 6 Days backpacking the Sierra before the Creek Fire closed everything down. Backpacking 5
Happyidiot 4 Days In The Winds Backpacking 10
M 5 days Green > Elk Wind River route advice August 17th Trip Planning 9
balzaccom Five days in Yosemite Backpacking 2
TrailScot 10 days in The Maze - April 2019 Backpacking 22