2019 Backcountry Fest Photos

I'd also like to give a shout-out to @Nick for setting everything up and luring me down south with a bear costume. We forgot to reenact the charging Grizzly against the bear spray armed hiker though. It would have made a great photo. Oh well, maybe next time. Also, it was wonderful to get to meet those who attended. I always like to put a face and a body, and particularly a voice with all of you who post to this site. And a special thanks to @Parma for the two Utah State Aggie caps. I assure you they will be well used.

As many of you know, I don't spend a whole lot of time in the desert, but my wife Sheila (and I know many of you) hold this environment closer to your hearts. Once Sheila and I were married, I forced her (sort of) :) to head north to Grizzly Bear country with me, so perhaps it's about time to return the favor and schedule a few more trips down south. If so, I'll need help from you all to find enjoyable places to spend time and hike/camp.

Here are some images of our hike.

View attachment 76869
A rare people-less shot at the beginning of our route

View attachment 76870

Yay, another Meetup! Let's do it!
Maybe it is just me, but I cannot see your images. :(

I can see them, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the confirmation @scatman, @Rockskipper, and @Perry . I will try my laptop!
I turned my phone off Wednesday and it has been struggling ever since I turned it back on yesterday haha

How far did you end up driving to get out there, @Miya? I was thinking about it, then decided the 800 or so miles was too far, then I saw you guys went.

@WasatchWill I especially love the Lone Warrior! Thanks for sharing your photos. Good thing Bobbi and I didn't go with your group. There would have been some epic photos of us falling...We just learned what chimneying is (thanks @Yvonne!) Haha But you guys all look like you had a great time!

How far did you end up driving to get out there, @Miya? I was thinking about it, then decided the 800 or so miles was too far, then I saw you guys went.

Let's see...
From Bobbi's house, it is right around 850.
From my work and house it was just under 910.
I do wish you could have been there, but understand the mileage is a little intense.
@b.stark, I know your drive was significantly longer than ours. What was your mileage??

@WasatchWill I especially love the Lone Warrior! Thanks for sharing your photos. Good thing Bobbi and I didn't go with your group. There would have been some epic photos of us falling...We just learned what chimneying is (thanks @Yvonne!) Haha But you guys all look like you had a great time!
Yeah. It might have been too much to chew on for some without some practice and experience in less demanding obstacles elsewhere first. I had a couple close calls myself. I don't think I got any pics of the two hardest spots we had to come down.

- Response from my phone -

Let's see...
From Bobbi's house, it is right around 850.
From my work and house it was just under 910.
I do wish you could have been there, but understand the mileage is a little intense.
@b.stark, I know your drive was significantly longer than ours. What was your mileage??

The Google tells me about 940 miles, so not too much longer overall. It did take me about 15.5 hours to drive that.

Same here. As always, I'm kicking myself for taking too few photos.
Me too...I wish I had taken more pictures of us all around camp. I just figured people didn't want me snapping a ton of candids.

@b.stark Ooooh interesting. Maybe because we had 650 mile STRAIGHT stretch with posted 75-80 mph. With stops it took about 14 hours.

Looks like everyone had such a great time! Wonderful photos. The evening light pics especially were awesome. Hope I can make the next meetup, wherever that shall be.

Me too...I wish I had taken more pictures of us all around camp. I just figured people didn't want me snapping a ton of candids.

@b.stark Ooooh interesting. Maybe because we had 650 mile STRAIGHT stretch with posted 75-80 mph. With stops it took about 14 hours.

The first roughly 4 hours of my drive was on Nebraska state hi ghb hways, so that probably accounts for some of the difference. I also stop relatively frequently, especially when doing long drives solo like that.

thanks @Nick for organizing the meetup, had a great time meeting everyone there and putting faces to names. Didn't take lot of pics, here's a few from my phone.
IMG_1934.jpg
Friday night around the campfire. Saturday I went on a hike with @Artemus's crew and @scatman and Mrs scat. It turned out to be fairly adventurous hike, we did a loop around Temple mountain basically.
IMG_1945.jpg
Panoramic View looking back towards the temple mt road and campsites.
IMG_1952.jpg
Doggos and humans taking a break in the shade.
IMG_1956.jpg
We got closer to the mine shaft and found these unearthed sections of soil it seems.
IMG_1963.jpg
@Artemus and Skylar checking out the mine shaft.
IMG_1971.jpg
Hope & scooter at top of the pass. We had to do some scrambling on the fallen rocks in the background and descend down into the lower section coz trail was all taken out by slides it seemed.
IMG_1974.jpg
@scatman and wife tackling the rocky section.
IMG_1982.jpg
Checking out abandoned car, at this point we had made the turn of Temple mtn. In total i think we hiked around 6 miles.

IMG_1995.jpg
On sunday made a quick drive to Chute canyon and did little hiking with the dogs, before heading back to SLC.

How are you doing regarding your side? Did it bruise very much?
I'll be OK, @Jackson. I just learned, the hard way, not to challenge the young-ns to an athletic, balancy competition. I acknowledge your mastery of the sport. Perhaps you have a few words to say on how you bested the field? There was an array of styles, your extended backfoot/leg balance, @Dave's angel wing or flapping style, @WasatchWill's "cool, calm and collected" or my back leg wrapped around the support leg style... To what do you attribute your win?

I am going to blame my failure on the 40 knot gusts of wind, the spray of flying embers off a @Nick sized bonfire from every breath of wind and @scatman holding down the bag when I was trying to lip it. But seriously, did no one get pictures of the comp?

BTW good to meet you and your wife and good luck on the test in July. I am rooting for you.

Last edited:
Wow - fabulous photos. I especially love the ones with rocks lit up in the foreground with the snowy mountains in the background. Beautiful!