2019 Backcountry Fest Photos

Well, it proves that my dogs are right when they say people are crazy.

Sounds like you handled it well. That would definitely wake one up.

ETA: l could say much more but it would get censored.

Well, I for one would also like to thank @Nick, our site builder and maintainer and organizer for this event. I was really tickled to meet so many great people that I've only known by screen names and a rare selfie (@blueeyes ) or a much more frequent selfie (@scatman). Really you all are great people to follow around here at BCP and it turns out, fun to jaw with around a campfire.

I am only sorry to have only placed fourth in the bag game. I have always place first or in the top three and that is why I brought the game figuring it could be something I could win at. It was nice to see 1) @Jackson, and 2/3 @WasatchWill and @Dave as the new Champion and up and comers. I figure my damaged ribs created on my fateful but successful attempt at Level 4, netting me fourth place give me some fading cred and helps our suffering Oh Admin as a fellow excuse-user.

Well, I for one would also like to thank @Nick, our site builder and maintainer and organizer for this event. I was really tickled to meet so many great people that I've only known by screen names and a rare selfie (@blueeyes ) or a much more frequent selfie (@scatman). Really you all are great people to follow around here at BCP and it turns out, fun to jaw with around a campfire.

I am only sorry to have only placed fourth in the bag game. I have always place first or in the top three and that is why I brought the game figuring it could be SOMETHING I could win at. It was nice to see 1) @Jackson, and 2/3 @WasatchWill and @Dave as the new Champion and up and comers. I figure my broken ribs on my fateful, successful attempt netting my fourth place give me some fading cred and helps our suffering @Nick as a fellow excuse user.
Did you seriously break a rib when you fell?

It was nice to meet you Art. It was nice to meet so many people I am inspired by. You all fuel my lust for adventure.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

My standard moniker not needing censorship is "Wingnuts"!
I like it, but I always thought that was something you ate in a bar while watching hockey. Glad nobody got shot. Maybe her last name was Hayduke.

Last edited:
Broken ribs unite! Almost falling into the fire to break your ribs is still a way better excuse than me though. Good luck sleeping tonight.

I don't know how it will go but a sit in the jacuzzi and glass of wine should help...

How are you doing regarding your side? Did it bruise very much?

There is no visible bruise but my bruised ego. That and the result that I couldn't climb that long planned red pyramid behind camp with @scatman, @Nanda, @Udink and whomever else I could recruit today. Instead, I slept in until 9 because I couldn't do a situp to get out of the tent....

Did you seriously break a rib when you fell?
It was nice to meet you Art. It was nice to meet so many people I am inspired by. You all fuel my lust for adventure.
I don't know if they are broken or not since I am too cheap and it makes no difference to go have pictures taken. The only real issue is I can't take my vitamin I painkiller due to upcoming arthroscopic shoulder surgery this week. Luckily it is the opposite side so I won't be able to use either arm next weekend. :cool:

Footnote: I see that you suffered a flat tire and @Udink and maybe some of the other fellas here could help you out. Glad to meet you finally.

@Artemus true it wouldn't do any good to have a pretty X-ray. And I am truly sorry you can't take the much needed vitamin. Also, try not to go out of your mind after the surgery and you can't use either side!!!!

Heal quickly.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

@Artemus I broke three ribs caving, and of the other mishaps I’ve had, the ribs were far away the most painful. Every time you move it hurts and sleeping is impossible. Get better soon, both you and Nick.

Last edited:
here are a few images, more the next few days. I'm just too tired now to go through all of them

i-D8BrL5V-XL.jpg

i-Jg8xDLt-XL.jpg

i-NtXjmPM-XL.jpg

i-Knm44Ws-XL.jpg

i-jZgmnC9-XL.jpg

i-Mb5vNdH-XL.jpg

here are a few images, more the next few days. I'm just too tired now to go through all of them

i-D8BrL5V-XL.jpg

i-Jg8xDLt-XL.jpg

i-NtXjmPM-XL.jpg

i-Knm44Ws-XL.jpg

i-jZgmnC9-XL.jpg

i-Mb5vNdH-XL.jpg

You couldn't be too tired to post the shark photo...
Thanks...
Haha
The photo where I pretend to eat you came out great. Will post ASAP. Still headed back to CA.

You couldn't be too tired to post the shark photo...
Thanks...
Haha
The photo where I pretend to eat you came out great. Will post ASAP. Still headed back to CA.

I will post a lot of shots in the next few days of our Little Wild Horse Canyon hike. I do have quite a few good ones of both you and Bobby, lol.

The shark picture was too funny, I couldn't resist and had to post it ASAP

I am only sorry to have only placed fourth in the bag game. I have always place first or in the top three and that is why I brought the game figuring it could be something I could win at. It was nice to see 1) @Jackson, and 2/3 @WasatchWill and @Dave as the new Champion and up and comers. I figure my damaged ribs created on my fateful but successful attempt at Level 4, netting me fourth place give me some fading cred and helps our suffering Oh Admin as a fellow excuse-user.

Are we talking "bite the bag" here? If so- it's a well known staple of evening entertainment in Canadian backcountry huts. Disclosure- I suck at it!

Are we talking "bite the bag" here? If so- it's a well known staple of evening entertainment in Canadian backcountry huts. Disclosure- I suck at it!
Yes that is the one. And I learned it in backcountry ski huts and yurts too. Full Disclosure - I apparently now suck at it too!

Alright, here are my contributions. Consider this my trip report...

My camp
1554735730991.png

Wild Horse Creek canyon from within our camp behind the reef
1554735946633.png

On the way to Ding and Dang (Our Fab 5 group consisted of @Jackson, @Jessica, @b.stark (Brent), @Parma (Adam), and myself)
1554736000186.png

Hollow Log
1554736039213.png

The real fun in Ding begins
1554736079001.png

Hi ho, hi ho, up we go!
1554736186646.png

Approaching the narrows
1554736239774.png

Adam trailing Brent
1554736285754.png

In the narrows
1554736433884.png

The first of many obstacles to come
1554736480215.png

Adam shows off his multitasking skills
1554736526733.png

Brent the Bridge
1554736565094.png

Navigating around some tanks
1554736639279.png

Fleeing the chemtrail
1554736724145.png

Tafoni zone
1554736818915.png

Now onto Dang, dang it!
1554736878203.png

Dropping into Dang
1554736930129.png

Convergence
1554736966535.png

Adam approaching the Dang narrows
1554737010818.png

Adam in the narrows
1554737098107.png

Jackson the chimney sweep
1554737333706.png

My better half
1554737446396.png

Brent
1554737479514.png

And back to the car we go...
1554737519558.png

Stopped for a look at the pictographs along Temple Road on the way back to camp
1554737568468.png

Temple Mountain from camp
1554737632696.png

Back at camp, around the campfire
1554737651626.png

Our camp from afar
1554737918216.png

Saturday sunset
1554737952769.png

I opted to take the more scenic backway back to the freeway and ultimately home to the north. That meant continuing up Temple Mountain Road with the aim of stopping by Swasey Cabin, Lone Warrior Pictograph, Dutchman Arch, and Head of Sinbad panel.

Found a group of antelope
1554738009723.png

Rods Valley
1554738208255.png

Swasey Cabin
1554738395085.png

Lone Warrior
1554738733009.png

Dutchman Arch
1554738774587.png

Head of Sinbad #1
1554738822853.png

Head of Sinbad #2
1554738842647.png

Despite being a bit sick with a cold, it was a fantastic time meeting up with everyone and getting to know a lot of faces behind the screen names.

Apologies to anyone if they find themselves with the same cold I've had after playing that bag game. I got caught up in the fun and competition of the moment and should have exercised better judgement. :confused:

Thanks to @Nick for setting this all up! Thanks to @Jackson for leading the way through Ding and Dang. And thanks to @Artemus for the game.

I haven't done much in the Swell, so it was a great opportunity to get to know more of it. Good times!

Last edited:
I'd also like to give a shout-out to @Nick for setting everything up and luring me down south with a bear costume. We forgot to reenact the charging Grizzly against the bear spray armed hiker though. It would have made a great photo. Oh well, maybe next time. Also, it was wonderful to get to meet those who attended. I always like to put a face and a body, and particularly a voice with all of you who post to this site. And a special thanks to @Parma for the two Utah State Aggie caps. I assure you they will be well used.

As many of you know, I don't spend a whole lot of time in the desert, but my wife Sheila (and I know many of you) hold this environment closer to your hearts. Once Sheila and I were married, I forced her (sort of) :) to head north to Grizzly Bear country with me, so perhaps it's about time to return the favor and schedule a few more trips down south. If so, I'll need help from you all to find enjoyable places to spend time and hike/camp. A place where i can get my Subaru. :help:

All that being said, Sheila used to head down to the swell when she was younger, with her parents and we thought we'd try Little Wild Horse after we arrived on Friday, like she had done when she was a kid. Here is our report.

We rolled into the BCP Fest Friday afternoon about 1:30 pm, set up our camp, said "Hi" to Nick and then headed out to Little Wild Horse. When we arrived at the trailhead, I couldn't believe the number of vehicles present. We actually had to park at the last space in the furthest pullout. I told Sheila it looks like there are a lot of people doing this hike today. So we started off from the trailhead a bit after three o'clock in the afternoon.

Our route would take us up Bell Canyon, then head northeast to Little Wild Horse Canyon, where we would proceed to make our way down it, and back to the trailhead. Essentially a lollipop loop. Once on the trail, I thought, "What have I gotten myself into?" for the first thirty minutes we were passing what appeared to be and endless stream of hikers. Sheila assured me that it was never this crowded 25-30 years ago. During the next thirty minutes the crowds began to thin and we probably passed six or seven smaller groups of people along our way. After the first hour though, we had the rest of the loop to ourselves :twothumbs:, except for two people who were heading into the first section of Little Wild Horse as we were headed out.

Here are some images of our hike.

01.jpg
A rare people-less shot at the beginning of our route

02.jpg
Intersection of the two canyons

04.jpg
Into Bell Canyon

05.jpg
Bell Canyon - hikers have thinned out at this point

06.jpg
Just what you needed to see - the backside of Scat! Surprised my pants have not
ripped out at this point. :) Some of this aggravated my groin (sports hernia)

07.jpg
Sheila, in Bell Canyon. Bell is a lot more open than Little Wild Horse

08.jpg
Sheila, making her way along through Bell Canyon

09.jpg
Touch of water on the road at the head of Bell Canyon

10.jpg
Climbing up the hill and making our way northeast towards Little Wild Horse Canyon

11.jpg
I like how the Jeep road changes color three times along this stretch

12.jpg
About to turn the corner and head down towards Little Wild Horse Canyon

13.jpg
Heading towards Little Wild Horse

14.jpg
A late snack break before heading into Little Wild Horse

15.jpg
Little Wild Horse Canyon

16.jpg
Small drop-off in the canyon

17.jpg
The canyon is narrowing at this point

18.jpg
Great views from around each turn

19.jpg
I knew my fat ass would cause me issues at some point. :)

20.jpg
Tafoni along the northeast side of the canyon

21.jpg
More narrowing

22.jpg
Interesting erosion designs

23.jpg
Temperatures were cooler down in the canyon

24.jpg
Making my way along

25.jpg
Tighter curves at this point

26.jpg
Looking straight up during the narrowest section

27.jpg
A Cottonwood Tree near the trailhead - and no people! I wanted to take a picture of this tree on our way in
but there were to many folks around.

The hike took us just about four hours to complete and it was certainly enjoyable once we left the crowds in lower Bell Canyon. When we returned to the trailhead, there were only three cars, including ours, left in the parking lots. I was eager to get back to camp and eat some dinner and meet everyone who had made the trip.