2015 Winter Outdoor Retailer Show Highlights

Awesome video. Almost better than being there! Lots of cool stuff, those ultralight Luna sandals look particularly interesting.

I believe the luna sandals run from $55-100. They're extremely light. I was expecting them to weigh about 4x as much as they did. @Tess and I will be buying a pair each and reviewing them later in the summer. Super impressed with those.

I also feel bad about the aquabot guy. He accidentally turned the mic off when he put it in his pocket, so we didn't get any audio. Here's a product video from his site. Very cool product, and it looks like fun for the kids.

http://www.lunatecgear.com/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/247692762/aquabot

Well done Steve and Tess. Like Nick said, almost better than being there. =)

Interesting on the BA tent. I have one that looks just like it made by TEXsports. Used them for about 10years on short trips, as my tent on assignment in Wildland FIre. It weighs 3lbs, made of regular nylon, only about 12oz more than the BA. Only cost $30.00

I like the single wheel thingy...
If anyone need Honey Stingers, I get them wholesale.......

Headed to the OR show Sat, anything I need to check out for anyone??

Last edited:
Headed to the OR show Sat, anything I need to check out for anyone??

If you think of it, can you snap a picture of the tiny house at the OR booth? We had meant to stop by but we never made it.

I'd love to see any new tents or sleeping bags we missed. Sea to summit has some new sleeping pads that look decent. I didn't get to check their weights, but they look to be pretty lightweight, and they have an R value up to 5. They have dual air-chambers, which is interesting. We didn't stop by the BD booth either, so let us know if you see anything cool there.

Those tenkara rods are awesome as well. If I were more of a fisherman I'd have one of these in my pack.

The Big Agnes tent with the lights is pretty cool. I also like the large self inflating Thermarest pad they were showing off.
And I talked with Teva, they said they are now in Nordstroms. A first for them. The original style Teva sandals they started with in the 80s is in style now and a lot of retailers are wanting them.

Here are a couple photos I snapped.

IMG_4411.JPG
This is the newest Thermarest pad that looked pretty sweet.

IMG_4413.JPG
Here's the Big Agnes mtnGLO with the built in LED lights. The lights are sewn into a ribbon/fabric and is extremely light. It adds about $50 retail to the price of the tent. And I believe the lights will be available separately to add to a tent.

IMG_4412.JPG

And this is the always huge and cool to see North Face "booth". Last year they had a cool walk in section/tent with the US Olympic ski team gear on display.

Last edited:
the budget north face spends on their displays is mind-boggling. Great news about Teva. I had meant to stop by, as they're one of my favorite footwear companies, but I didn't make it over. Thanks for the update and pics!

I wish the big agnes mountain glow accessory ran off a small coin light instead of the big battery pack they come with. I'm sure I could get them to send us a mountain glow system for review. Would you be interested in reviewing it and taking it out in the field and getting some real-world feedback @Parma ?

Cool. I'll see what their options are. I think they used a battery pack that was about the size of 3 double As.

Tevas have gone Yuppie in the last years like NF went.

Great, now we will get tents lit up in the backcountry......that's why I get out of the city, no lights. I get in my tent to sleep or get out of the rain, not to be lit up.

When my brother was a river guide in the 80s with Epleys Whitewater in idaho the guy that created Tevas gave him and the other guides a pair to test. And they took off from there.
But it's funny that Teva is "supposed" to be pronounced teh-vah. But the creator himself pronounced it tee-vah...like most people do now.

Tevas have gone Yuppie in the last years like NF went.

Great, now we will get tents lit up in the backcountry......that's why I get out of the city, no lights. I get in my tent to sleep or get out of the rain, not to be lit up.
And all you kids and your fancy hi tech stuff...what do you call it...fire

Haha ......... hitech for sure..... a match and tinder.

I like looking at the OR show, but have never seen much to replace what I already have......until things wear out on me.