2 Boy Scouts Missing Near King's Peak

Nick

-
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=26083099&ni...near-kings-peak&fm=home_page&s_cid=featured-1

ROOSEVELT — Duchesne and Summit counties have dispatched search and rescue teams to locate two Boy Scouts that went missing in the High Uintas Friday afternoon.

The boys, ages 14 and 15, were part of a group that had walked from Henry's Fork Trail Head to the Kings Peak area. The boys then walked ahead of the group and were last seen near the fork in the trail, one way heading to Henry's Fork and the other leading to Painter Basin, according to a news release.
Crews are focusing on both areas and a helicopter has been dispatched to join the search.
Few details are available due to lack of cell and radio service in the area.

Summit County found a missing Colorado hiker earlier this week in the King's Peak area. The trails are accessible from neighboring states and consequently put a lot of hikers on the mountain in remote areas where it can be difficult for search and rescue teams to locate them.
More details will posted as they become available.

I was in the area yesterday and heard/saw the helicopter. Not even the ranger who stopped and talked to us knew who they were searching for. I realize sometimes things happen and you can get stuck in tight spots, but in groups like this they should make sure everyone knows the details of the routes and not let them get so far ahead.

I was in the area yesterday and heard/saw the helicopter. Not even the ranger who stopped and talked to us knew who they were searching for. I realize sometimes things happen and you can get stuck in tight spots, but in groups like this they should make sure everyone knows the details of the routes and not let them get so far ahead.

Agreed! Especially when you're talking about kids and teenagers. Too much can go wrong when a group splits up.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Dave Boy Scouts kill bear at East Fork of the Bear General Discussion 17
barl0w Goblin Valley + Little Wild Horse Canyon - April 2012 (Boy Scouts) Hiking & Camping 4
barl0w Goblin Valley with Boy Scouts - Apr 27-28 Trip Planning 3
Dave Missing Boy Scout in the Winds General Discussion 7
regehr 9 dead, boy missing in flash flood in Arizona swim hole General Discussion 1
JoanieBelle Crested Butte/San Juans Yankee Boy Basin 17-23 July Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Ranger Joe 5: The Great Colorado Expedition of 2012, pt5...Yankee Boy and Governor Basins Off Road 0
Go-deep Help Northern Utah Boy Scout Backpack overnighter Trip Planning 8
Tyler Boy Scouting memories General Discussion 2
WasatchWill Tagging along with the scouts into Slide Canyon Backpacking 5
elkaholic Soaking Soggy Scouts in the Uintas Backpacking 3
trantelica Looking for a good trail for scouts Trip Planning 3
elkaholic It’s that time of year again...Planning for the Scouts High Adventure General Discussion 3
Dave B. Cooking for a large group of Scouts Trip Planning 5
dman Suggestions for 30 miler and scouts in Cedar City area? Trip Planning 4
K Missing 411 General Discussion 12
GarrettM Carpooling App or Some Hack I'm Missing? Resource Discussions 0
N Missing camera General Discussion 2
Parma Missing Person In Canyonlands General Discussion 2
Bob Missing the snow ? General Discussion 5
Perry Missing hiker in Uintas - Ray Humpherys General Discussion 104
Melissa Missing Endangered Melvin Heaps General Discussion 40
andyjaggy Missing Uinta Man Found General Discussion 0
CaptnKidd Canyonlands (2010) with Mineral Bottom Switchbacks Missing.... Off Road 6
hatchcanyon The missing link to Lockhart Basin Off Road 2
Nick Missing Hiker on Kings Peak General Discussion 3
Seldom Seen Anderson Missing Backpackers General Discussion 10
Nick Randy Udall missing in Wind Rivers General Discussion 4