10 Essentials

jentzschman

What emergency shelters does everyone prefer/keep as part of their emergency shelter system? I am wanting to get my 10 essentials in order and be more diligent in carrying them with me on every outing. The shelter has been one area that has seem to elude me for some reason. There is a good chance I am over thinning it (not that that is a bad thing for something of high importance) but I can't seem to settle on an shelter system. I have been leaning toward the simple mylar/reflective blankets but I hear they are inadaquate if the person is laying on the ground. They work best in a crouching position so as not to leech colder temps from the ground. This seems like a disadvantages for an emergency as it would seem laying down is a good choice for resting and conserving energy.

The other area I am wanting to improve on is with the maps. I would like to get some advice as to overall preferred map maker/brand. I hear topo maps are the way to go because they show terrain elevations and are usually more detailed from what I gather.

Thank you for any advice and thoughts.

I think 99.9% of people I know would be doing well just to carry the mylar blanket. Most don't even do that. I do always carry one. For the last couple years I've been packing around the Adventure Medical Sol 2 Person. I figure since it is a 2 person, it might actually be big enough to be of some use.

For paper maps, I like the nat geo trail illustrated series. For 7.5 quads I print my own using Trimble's MyTopo. It's a very clunky, hard to use interface, but I think it's the best out there and only $30 per year for topos, aerials and topo/aerial hybrids for the entire country.

lol ........ Ok:

GPSr, Compass, topo of area I am in, Sunglasses (prescription anyway), sunscreen, one change underwear, 3 pairs socks (one wearing, one sleeping, one being washed), 2 Tshirt, long sleeve shirt, Thermal top, Petzel headlamp & one set extra batteries, FA kit made up of things where I am going and what may expect needing (personal prefs, motrin, Excedrin, 4x4s, cat Tourniquet, Israeli bandage, quick clot, triangle bandage, coban, gauze), knife but NO tools, NeoAir repair patch, a little duct tape, one extra freeze dried meal, mylar blanket. Always a signal mirror.

Take lists with a grain of salt, what you carry is specific to you and your comfort rating.