10 Days in the Maze (video)

Joey

walking somewhere
The old one. I like the new one too, but it's just not the same.

what are the low top shoes you wear? and no socks?
They are Vasque water shoes. I don't know the exact kind though. They are pretty light, and I bring them along as a second pair of shoes to hike in. I also use them a lot in the Escalante River area, to deal with all the wading. On smaller trips, I use them alone as my hiking shoes. On trips with large packs, they don't give me as much support as I need.

As far as no socks, I'm just comfortable sometimes without them. I don't get blisters. And them sometimes, I do wear socks.

How long did it take you to plan this trip?
There really wasn't much of a plan. My friend Keith told me about 5 weeks beforehand that he had 2 weeks off in April and wanted to do a big trip. After deciding on the Maze, I actually kept trying to talk him into going down the Escalante River instead. But he wanted to see the Maze.

I've been into the Maze before, and have done almost an identical route to this one, in a shorter amount of time. I had several places I wanted to explore, but wasn't sure how Keith was going to hike. So we brought enough food for almost 2 weeks, and just went out there. My plan was to get a feel for how Keith was feeling, since he had never hiked in the desert before. Right off the bat though, he started having runner's knee, and that changed everything. We took our time, and set up base camps a few times to help keep the stress of a big pack off of Keith's knees. I basically had no idea what each day would bring, and just played it by ear each morning, based on how Keith was doing.

Pothole of water...tasty! Some of the heat just looked brutal. “all that shade” J

The sky the morning of the 6th was a really intense blue.

I enjoyed the confluence of the Green and Colorado Rivers.

Those were some scary ups and downs.

The petroglyphs are just way too cool. I need to see some of them some day.

Granaries? Did I get that right? Way cool!

How do you not get lost – I think I only saw a single cairn.

How do you not get lost – I think I only saw a single cairn.
Its pretty easy to not get lost if you have a map and can read it.

I think you would love this place. When you're ready to venture south of Yellowstone, lets plan a trip out there. Its like one awesome play park.

And speaking of Yellowstone, are you still heading over there in 2 weeks?

Awesome job. That last camp spot after you guys split up was pretty amazing with the sun lighting up the chocolate drops. Scary about the fall, but pretty cool it fixed your camera. I still don't really quite understand the lay of the land where Shot and Water Canyon converge and you can see the Green River. How tall is the divide that separates them and how do you know when to stop following Shot to go up and over to find Water Canyon? The map shows a trail but your video makes it look like there's no trails or cairns. Also, at the road near Chimney Rock, is there a sign pointing out the 3 different trails to Shot, Pete's Mesa, and the trail to the canyon where the Harvest Scene is? This video makes me feel like I'm going to get lost as f*ck.

There is a small saddle with a well cairned route going from Shot canyon into Water Canyon. You will see the cairns climbing out of Shot Canyon, not long after it narrows, which will take you to that saddle. Its right before a big left turn in the canyon. If you miss it, in about 20 minutes you will come to the large pour off dead end. The route is well used, and I doubt you will miss it.

You can also walk the high slickrock benches all the way around from Shot Canyon to Water Canyon. That is where I took the shot looking down on the Green River, and the mouth of Water Canyon. You could easily spend a week in those 2 canyons, just exploring all the nooks, crannies ,and benches.

There isn't a trail sign at Chimney Rock that I've seen, other than a trailhead parking sign. But those three trails are easy to figure out, and well cairned. The trail to/from Harvest Scene is on the west side, and walks a good ways west along the edge of the canyon before dropping in. The Jasper Ridge route is on the north side of Chimney Rock. The Shot Canyon cairned route is on the east side of Chimney Rock. If your coming from the Jasper Ridge route, just go to your left when you reach Chimney Rock. You will find the cairns.

You won't get lost.

Last edited:
You won't get lost.

Even though it's called the Maze, all of the main trails are very well cairned. I always like to take my wife on Canyonlands hikes, because the trails are well maintained and very easy to follow. I found that the Maze was no exception.

I think it would be a cool story if you DID get lost. Just find your way out in time to get back to SLC to pick me up.

I think you would love this place. When you're ready to venture south of Yellowstone, lets plan a trip out there. Its like one awesome play park.

For sure someday!

And speaking of Yellowstone, are you still heading over there in 2 weeks

We leave for Yellowstone on the 18th...I am now thinking 3L2 with Slough Creek as a back up option. Can't wait!!!

For sure someday!

We leave for Yellowstone on the 18th...I am now thinking 3L2 with Slough Creek as a back up option. Can't wait!!!
Where is 3L2, Lava Creek? Wish I could go. I didn't really think out this making video stuff. It takes too much time. I'm definitely ready to go back out there.