Winter

Same here- 15 cm of snow on the ground and highs of -8 C, so not a terrible intro to winter, but it felt tough after coming home recently from the warm desert sun of southern Utah. Lemonade from lemons, though: I waxed up the rock skis and got in some very enjoyable laps of urban cross country skiing in the park just outside our back door.
P1030442.jpg
The park is a dog walker hot spot, so I set my track outside of the heavily travelled areas so that it wouldn't be trampled by walkers taking advantage of my trail breaking.
P1030443.jpg

I'm looking to get my xc skis out this weekend! 8 inches down here in the valley over the last 2-3 days, and we've barely cracked 20F in that time period. Maybe going below 0 tonight. Seems like this happens every year in late October, then it warms up again for the next few weeks.

I'm looking to get my xc skis out this weekend! 8 inches down here in the valley over the last 2-3 days, and we've barely cracked 20F in that time period. Maybe going below 0 tonight. Seems like this happens every year in late October, then it warms up again for the next few weeks
Do it! Same thing here, these October snows are often just a tease, with warm weather again for a while before winter really sets in.

Got our first snow here in Nebraska today. Maybe a couple inches of the stuff.

20231028_171429-L.jpg

Snow total data dec 20 2023 for Younts Peak snotel......... actually higher than last year so far, but last year had a big spike in Jan

a snow.jpg

El Nino has done a number up here in BC!! Basically no snow in the mountains and abnormally warm. After the drought we had this year things do not bode well for next year....... :(

It's been a notably mild and warm start to ski season here in Alberta, but we have been getting out a couple of times a week on the xc boards.
JUST enough snow to get things going at our favorite foothills area, after a very dry November that stripped the October snow down to dry dirt:
P1030643-copy-2.jpg
A winter wonderland last week near the divide, but the picture is a bit deceiving as the snowpack here is still thin and weak, making for poor off-trail skiing:
P1030608-copy-2.jpg

It's been a notably mild and warm start to ski season here in Alberta, but we have been getting out a couple of times a week on the xc boards.
JUST enough snow to get things going at our favorite foothills area, after a very dry November that stripped the October snow down to dry dirt:
View attachment 128258
A winter wonderland last week near the divide, but the picture is a bit deceiving as the snowpack here is still thin and weak, making for poor off-trail skiing:
View attachment 128259
Jealous! Just got some new skinny skis and haven't had much to do with them yet... looking forward to (hopefully) some fun trips in January though.

You know it's a crappy start to winter when I'm sitting here excited at the prospect of 3 inches of snow in the mountains (maybe an inch in the valley), at best, on Saturday. Haven't had any precipitation in two weeks and it's been in the mid 40s most days, which is well above normal. I wore sandals to work today to tempt the snow gods.

I'm still taking a half day tomorrow to ski though. Haha. Low coverage be damned.

Hit Targhee last weekend and it was pretty good though. At least there's snow somewhere.
PXL_20231216_162039941.jpg

PXL_20231216_163759852.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Lol.... Last time I skiied Targhee passes were $7.50 a day. May get back this year.
It's always a little surprising how much it costs, but it is a great place! $145 for the day I went. Fortunately, with my Bridger Bowl season pass, I get two free days at Targhee. I'll be back in early February!

It's always a little surprising how much it costs, but it is a great place! $145 for the day I went. Fortunately, with my Bridger Bowl season pass, I get two free days at Targhee. I'll be back in early February!
Drop me a line... Could maybe go. Just not the first weekend. Supposed to be at Deer Valley working at the freestyle world cup

Christmas came early, with a totally unexpected 15 cm (3 cm was the forecast) of snow on the 23rd, giving a great boost to our recent three days of skiing at our favourite xc ski zone in the foothills. The snowpack remains way below average, and it still feels like winter hasn't really hit yet, but we will take the mild weather and bluebird skies.
P1030709-copy-2.jpgP1030715-copy-2.jpgP1030696-copy-2.jpgP1030699-copy-2.jpg