Album Wildlife

A family group of coyotes. Wet female, male and one of last years female pups. Have not tried to locate the den - probably wouldn't be hard, since I know where that notch eared female likes to make hers, but I really don't need to bother them right now.

20140426_Wildlife-W-7.jpg

20140426_Wildlife-W-8.jpg

20140426_Wildlife-W-9.jpg

20140426_Wildlife-W-5.jpg

20140426_Wildlife-W-6.jpg

20140426_Wildlife-158-W.jpg

20140426_Wildlife-153-W.jpg

- DAA

BTW... Just kind of interesting to see the ears-down super submissive behavior of the beta around the old Alpha Bitch. You can see the old gal giving the young one some stink eye in a couple of these pictuers. That yearling daughter so much as holds her head high around momma and she gets her ass chewed. Literally.

- DAA

The coyote shots are so great. My dog came nose to nose with one behind the U of U hospital recently, closest I've been to one. The coat was much darker than your shots. Keep em' coming.

Reactions: DAA
Eastern Newt

IMG_0733.jpg

Ran into my first Mtn Lion last Sunday morning!

I was hiking Richards Hollow and was about 1/2 from the trailhead. It's a some what popular trail as there's a waterfall just over a mile up. I think we both saw each other at the same time and froze. He was about 50-60 feet away. I reached for my .40, but he didn't move so I grabbed my camera and took this shot. I went to adjust the shutter speed (that's why it's blurry) and he ran off. He made almost no sound and was out of sight in less than two seconds!

DSC_6466.jpg

Love that newt shot. We used to get newts in our backyard all of the time while I was growing up here in Utah, it's been years and years since I have seen one at this point. Amphibians seem to not be doing to well.

Love that newt shot. We used to get newts in our backyard all of the time while I was growing up here in Utah, it's been years and years since I have seen one at this point. Amphibians seem to not be doing to well.

Just have to know where to look. A little sample of Utah amphibians.

Anaxyrus microscaphus
by Rancorrye, on Flickr

Anaxyrus microscaphus
by Rancorrye, on Flickr

Anaxyrus punctatus
by Rancorrye, on Flickr

Woodhouse Toad
by Rancorrye, on Flickr

Hyla arenicolor
by Rancorrye, on Flickr

Boreal Chorus Frog
by Rancorrye, on Flickr

Pacific Tree Frog
by Rancorrye, on Flickr

American Bullfrog
by Rancorrye, on Flickr

Great Basin Spadefoot
by Rancorrye, on Flickr

Great Basin Spadefoot
by Rancorrye, on Flickr

Tiger Salamander
by Rancorrye, on Flickr

Tiger Salamander
by Rancorrye, on Flickr

Northern Leopard Frog
by Rancorrye, on Flickr

Just have to know where to look. A little sample of Utah amphibians.
Nice again, Rye! Any chance of annotating where these animals were found when you photographed them - for our education? I would like to learn more and observe more of them - especially since they are on a decline in many habitats.

Nice again, Rye! Any chance of annotating where these animals were found when you photographed them - for our education? I would like to learn more and observe more of them - especially since they are on a decline in many habitats.

Arizona toad, woodhouse toad and pacific tree frog (invasive in Utah) were from Washington Co.
Red-spotted toad and canyon tree frog were from Kane Co.
Boreal Chorus Frog and tiger salamanders were from Summit Co.
Bullfrog (invasive in Utah) was from Davis Co.
Great Basin Spadefoot were from Tooele Co.
Leopard Frog was from Millard Co.