Who's ready to rumble?

Nick

-
It looks like it's going to be a rowdy weekend weather wise. Who's heading out anyway and where ya headed? Last weekend I know that we had BCPers in at least three basins up around Agassiz/Spread Eagle in The Uintas. I'm taking the weekend off in preparation for the big Highline hike next week. :cool:

Screen Shot 2012-07-13 at 8.00.54 AM.png

I'm probably just going to take the family on a Sunday drive up Gardners Fork either tomorrow or Sun. Some rain or hail to knock the dust down and make the drive possibly a little bit more interesting would be a welcome bonus.

- DAA

I'll be car camping at Butterfly Lake Sunday thru Tuesday.

I was going to pick up a few easy county high points in south-central Utah (Delano, Mine Camp, and Bluebell Knoll), but I'm leaning against it now. Then again, as has happened many times before, I'd hate to be sitting at home all weekend and not see enough rain to keep me away from the outdoors. Tough choice.

I think we're going to head up to McCoy Park from the North Fork of Sheep Creek. We've been to McCoy Park from Spirit Lake and to Island Lake from Burnt Fork, but we've never been up Sheep Creek.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to the rain! But talk to me Sunday...I'm likely to be miserable from the rain or I will have pansied out!

Backpacked timp last night and just got home so I have photos to process and a lawn to mow.

Keeping an eye out for lightning of course.

Well, we ended up going to West Fork Blacks Fork, but the end result: pansied out.

We packed in about 4.5 miles, and when we got to Bucks Pasture it was raining, the wind was howling, and it was cold. I don't mind the rain, and I don't mind the cold...but I really don't like the rain AND the cold. So we decided to head back. So after 9 miles of backpacking, we ended up back at the car!

Oh well. That is still a really pretty trail, and we had the entire valley to ourselves.

Well, we ended up going to West Fork Blacks Fork, but the end result: pansied out.

We packed in about 4.5 miles, and when we got to Bucks Pasture it was raining, the wind was howling, and it was cold. I don't mind the rain, and I don't mind the cold...but I really don't like the rain AND the cold. So we decided to head back. So after 9 miles of backpacking, we ended up back at the car!

Oh well. That is still a really pretty trail, and we had the entire valley to ourselves.

Buck Pasture is beautiful, was it too stormy to get in the viewsof the peaks from it?

Well, the clouds were moving fast, so the mountains would get covered up for a while and then clear up for awhile. It was really pretty out there.

I did some hiking in Albion Basin this morning. The flowers are looking great! There was this thick mist that came through as soon as I got to Catherine Pass. I made it most of the way up to Sunset Peak before I turned around because I wasn't going to get a view through that mist. By the time I left it was covering most of the basin including Devils Castle and the Sugarloaf.

When were you headed up? My brother and I went up to Dead Horse Friday and came back Saturday. We saw only two other people in 20 trail miles... a guy and gal headed up on Saturday around noon.

It poured cold rain most of the time we were up there. I'll post a trip report soon.

That was probably us! Did the guy look like he had earned his "Frodo" nickname? :)

Were one of you wearing a yellow poncho?

That was probably us! Did the guy look like he had earned his "Frodo" nickname? :)

Were one of you wearing a yellow poncho?

My brother had the yellow poncho. Your gal was in a hooded rain jacket? We debated warning you of the weather, but didn't want to impose.

I felt bad right after you guys passed us that we didn't talk more, but we were distracted by the mud!

I was going to pick up a few easy county high points in south-central Utah (Delano, Mine Camp, and Bluebell Knoll), but I'm leaning against it now. Then again, as has happened many times before, I'd hate to be sitting at home all weekend and not see enough rain to keep me away from the outdoors. Tough choice.
For once I feel pretty good about sitting out the weather this weekend. Rained most of the time, and I would have been miserable holed up in a tent. Next weekend looks to be nice, though, and it's looking like I'll be hitting up Granddaddy Basin then.

My daughter wanted to fish, so we did our Sunday drive into Murdock Basin rather than do the Gardners Fork trail. It was an almost perfect day up there. Rained steadily the whole drive in, which made for zero dust and very pleasant temps and atmosphere, saw zero vehicles or people on the road all the way to Marshall Lake, saw a few deer including one nice buck, cow and calf moose and a couple marmots. Soon after starting to fish, it quit raining and we had a super pleasant few hours with the lake entirely to ourselves. Nice and cool, air tasted great, very few mosquitos out. Caught some decent sized brookies, grilled some brats, then drove home. Started raining again almost as soon as I started the Jeep to drive out and gathered strength as we went - was raining downright hard by the time we got back to the hiway. Saw one truck and two ATV's on the trek back to pavement. Couple more cow/calf moose pairs seen along the hiway heading back towards Kamas.

Nice day!

- DAA