Album Weather, Storms and Clouds

Lava Trees before the rain moved in

tree%209%20copy-XL.jpg

tree%2010%20copy-XL.jpg

An unexpected surprise on this year's Yellowstone trip was watching a storm blow across the lake.

We were staying in a Lake Lodge cabin and I thought I'd take a look at the lake before turning in for the night. The clouds looked interesting as I approached the water.

0O7A6181.JPG
Not long after reaching the shoreline bolts of lightning fired out from the clouds now and again. Of all the times to leave the GoPro (for video) back in the room!

0O7A6183A.jpg

0O7A6196A.jpg
In between several lightning bolts a full arc rainbow appeared for several short minutes.

0O7A6199A.jpg

0O7A6207A.jpg
The lightning settled down but the clouds continued to put on an impressive show. The lake was gently lapping at the shore when I had arrived but the wind picked up and small whitecaps formed quickly. I avoided most of the rain and wind by standing on the leeward side of a tree near the lakeshore.

0O7A6216.JPG
This last picture is a two second exposure while I tried using a log for a tripod.

0O7A6251.JPG

Epic shots, @TractorDoc!

We got stormed and hailed upon up at Kroenke Lake in the Collegiate Peaks a couple weekends ago, but the sun poked through and gave us a pretty sweet rainbow that dove behind the south face of Mount Yale (on the right).
Kroenke Lake Rainbow.jpg
The fog that rolled in right after this was pretty creepy as well, especially since we found a fresh deer kill that we're pretty certain was from a mountain lion on the bank of the lake as we were hiking out.
Kroenke Fog2.jpg

Back