Album Up Close and Personal -- Photos Focused on the Details

I found a couple dead butterflies late this summer - one was a 'Painted Lady' and the other was a 'Monarch' butterfly - and decided to try snowflake photo technique on these to see what I'd get. These were taken using a 4x microscope lens.

This is one of the spots on the Painted Lady wing
PA260263.jpg

This is near where the wing joins the body on the Painted Lady butterfly.
PA260195.jpg

Monarch butterfly wing
PA260629.jpg

One of the spots on the Monarch butterfly wing.
PA260665.jpg

It's interesting how their wings are like a shingled roof. I wonder if there is some kind of aerodynamic advantage in this.

I found a couple dead butterflies late this summer - one was a 'Painted Lady' and the other was a 'Monarch' butterfly - and decided to try snowflake photo technique on these to see what I'd get. These were taken using a 4x microscope lens.

View attachment 84611

View attachment 84610

Monarch butterfly wing
View attachment 84612

View attachment 84613

It's interesting how their wings are like a shingled roof. I wonder if there is some kind of aerodynamic advantage in this.
Wow! I had no idea that's how they looked up close. Really cool shots!

Temps warmed up into the 50s today. I was working on winter preparations outside and heard the pooch barking at something on the porch. Inspection of the situation found this guy curled up in a leaf. . . moved him to a location away from the house. Fingers present for scale. ;)

5J5A2503.JPG

View attachment 84611

View attachment 84610

Monarch butterfly wing
View attachment 84612

View attachment 84613

Unbelievable! Such detail.

just some abstracts of ice bubbles in frozen Clear Creek in Zion. I always wanted to get some close-up shots of ice bubbles

frozen%20bubbles%20copy-XL.jpg

ice%20bubbles%20copy-XL.jpg

just some abstracts of ice bubbles in frozen Clear Creek in Zion. I always wanted to get some close-up shots of ice bubbles

frozen%20bubbles%20copy-XL.jpg

ice%20bubbles%20copy-XL.jpg

I like these as they are, but I'll bet these would look cool in high contrast B&W

This was inspired by Yvonne's ice bubbles pic above. I was standing on a big boulder looking at the Big South Fork in KY a few weeks ago, and zoomed in on this ice leftover from a little higher water sometime earlier.
Didn't think much of it until later, when I zoomed in, and saw the ripples.
How did it freeze like that?

Crop of a zoom from a P&S, so don't judge:p

The toe of a glacier touching the water on a remote Artic Coast.

KIMG0446.JPG

Just Kidding. :p Actually some interesting ice crystals I noticed in a stream on a walk around the farm this weekend.

5J5A3364A.JPG

Super close up view.

5J5A3370A.JPG

A weekend warmup was literally causing the crystals to melt as I was looking at them.

Back