Total Knee Replacement

Nick - As your virtual friend I would say first, I have no personal experience and I don't know of anyone as young as yourself to have a total replacement. I do know that there is little data to determine who will benefit and who won't as you can read here. If I understand what you've said here your reasoning is based on lifestyle, meaning you want to be able to hike pain free again and it's not due to a lack of normal function. That's where the decision making gets difficult. Is the replacement going to provide lifestyle improvements because it's likely you'll have less range of motion, but my experience is with older people so ask your surgeon on that. If you've done everything else there is to do, by default it's the thing to do. Good luck to you brother.

Well, I did it! I had my knee replacement surgery this morning and it all went well. Hurt like hell when I woke up but the femoral nerve block and copious pain killers have kept up pretty well since then. 2-3 more days in the hospital before I get to go home. Time to start dreaming of spring backpacking trips. :)

Here's to a speedy recovery Nick!
:smilecoffee:

Hope all goes well. Hospital time is no fun.

Glad to hear it went well. Good timing that you got it done at the end of the season anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My best wishes and a super recovery, Nick!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Wishing a blazing and amazing recovery for you NIck.

- DAA

Best of luck nick, it'll be good to have you out hiking around and exploring the backcountry soon.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and many awesome hiking trips to come! Thanks for all you do on this site, you've created an amazing place.

Reactions: DAA
Keep up with the physical therapy and you'll be back to it in no time! If you choose TOSH I might see you there.

Much thanks for all the well wishes. It's a nice pick me up during this crappy hospital stay. Nothing like having someone wake you up every three hours to poke, prod and squeeze your arm to death. Hoping they let me out tomorrow.

Hope you recover quickly! Always enjoy your amazing pictures. Looking forward to more desert trips with you.

Hoping they let me out tomorrow.

Hoping for early escape for you too. Had to spend about an hour at the hospital this morning, just getting an MRI, after only an hour I wanted out of that place sooooooo bad!

- DAA

I also know a couple people that have had knee replacements. Their experience is pretty much what has been stated by others above. Good luck with that. Hoping for the best for you.

All the best, hope you recover fast.
g