Texas Pass (Winds) in late July

Thanks Bob! I may start a new thread on that route at some point. Think 4 days from Scab Creek TH to Big Sandy TH is possible (camps near Raid and Shadow L, then Lizard Head Meadows). My gf did love the Texas Pass loop as a 3 day and it's a great time or car-constrained option.

But that 2000+ ft gain from Scab Creek with a full pack is a rough way to start. When I went to Rainbow a few years ago I got passed by an ATV. He started his hike at the wilderness boundary fresh. Told me "I've done this before".

May send you a PM too - heard rumors of some interesting fishing in that vicinity and didn't want to get too off-topic here.
Need to pack less ..... Lol

@RyanP
I can't comment on conditions, but thought I would throw one more lightweight option in there for self-arresting if there's still firm snow: flat aluminum tent stakes (e.g. 1 or 2 in the photo below). I've also used sharp rocks in a pinch.

@RyanP
I can't comment on conditions, but thought I would throw one more lightweight option in there for self-arresting if there's still firm snow: flat aluminum tent stakes (e.g. 1 or 2 in the photo below). I've also used sharp rocks in a pinch.

View attachment 79921
Good call, F...

I've also used the old rock trick trying to get up to the base of Clyde Minaret or down from Irene's Arete and others :)

Back