Album Snow and Winter Shots

Yeah, you got it @wanderlust. It’s a shallow mill pond near by and it freezes up nice and early. :thumbsup: Looks like I might even be graceful. ;)

Something I never got the hang of as a kid. Should give it another go...

Living in AL, and hiking mostly at lower elevations there and in TN, these are about as wintry as it gets for me, short of polar vortexes or late winter/early spring trips to UT. I was really fired up about getting some "real weather" this past week in the NC mountains, but had not figured on breaking out my raingear. The difference between the occasional 40mph gust, like I had in mind, and 40mph *wind* was quite noticeable, though!

My friend sent me these. Guess he paused when we were setting up(btw, I was totally jealous of that tent before it was all over with):

The sun finally dared show itself the next afternoon:

Living in AL, and hiking mostly at lower elevations there and in TN, these are about as wintry as it gets for me, short of polar vortexes or late winter/early spring trips to UT. I was really fired up about getting some "real weather" this past week in the NC mountains, but had not figured on breaking out my raingear. The difference between the occasional 40mph gust, like I had in mind, and 40mph *wind* was quite noticeable, though!

My friend sent me these. Guess he paused when we were setting up(btw, I was totally jealous of that tent before it was all over with):
View attachment 85599

The sun finally dared show itself the next afternoon:
View attachment 85600

Looks wintery :) where were you?

The first pic is on top of Big Hump(Hump Mtn), and the second is somewhere between there and Carver's Gap on the AT.

We just did a quickie overnighter. Forecast said 27, but it was 19F by dark.
It was this, but in reverse, so it could feel like it was all uphill:rolleyes:
19E to Carver's Gap, +4 miles, 'cause my friend left his phone in my car, and we went back for it:

breaking trail on Bighorn Pass trail, Yellowstone

breaking%20trail%20in%20deep%20snow%20copy-XL.jpg

looking%20back%20on%20the%20trail%20copy-XL.jpg

looking back to the Gallatin Range and the trail I made

Yvonne- looks like Christmas came early and you got what you wished for!
For us- a nice gift came in the form of 12 cm of cold dry snow overnight on Saturday on the usual xc ski trails, after warm weather accompanied by strong winds and some rain on Friday-Saturday. Yesterday was like skiing in a Christmas card.
P1090405-copy.jpg

P1090418-copy-2.jpg
One of the many great things about this trail network, is that dogs are allowed, off leash!
P1090425-copy.jpg

Avoiding retail frenzy on the 26th.
P1090475-copy.jpg
Hoarfrost foliage after a few cold clear nights.
P1090472-copy.jpg
Beautiful to look at, potentially deadly in the future, from an avalanche perspective.
Breaking trail up an old mine road, on the 27th, on the way to a day of backcountry powder skiing. This was the most sun we would get all day as we were skiing a ridge with a northerly aspect.
P1090503-copy.jpg
Setting sun on the Opal Range, as we cross the lake after a fine day of very good powder turns. No good pix of that- it was cold out.
P1090533-copy.jpg

Back