Sawtooth Hitchhiking

andyjaggy

Does anyone have experience hitchhiking on the Sawtooth highway? I am planning a trip for next week that would start me at Pettit Lake and end at Redfish Lake. I will be going solo though so would need to rely on the good graces of some strangers to get me back to my car at the starting point. Has anyone done this? I imagine it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to give me a lift but I don't want to be stranded 20 miles form my car either.

It's been about 30 years since I did, it went well. Caught a ride in 20 minutes or so. Long walk from highway to where the truck was parked.

I am going next week also, between the same trail heads, but in the opposite direction. What are your dates?

Having a sign that indicates it's just a short hiker shuttle may help. It seems like most people that might do it just don't want to get stuck with taking someone for an hours long drive.

Tuesday to Sunday is the plan.

Also considering dropping off a bike at the end and padlocking it to a random tree somewhere. Then could ride the bike back to the car. Would def add some work, but hey it's just more bragging rights.

Don't even worry about it. It's an absolute breeze. Talking half an hour max. You can probably yogi a ride off the main road to your car if you play your cards right. Not quite cottonwoods-level easy, but close.

@Nick suggestion of a sign is a good one. Depending on your specific situation, you may also want to consider hitching on the front-end. I have found that I look and smell a little better before a trek and it sure is nice knowing my car is waiting for me at the end of the trail.

A sign is always a tough one. On one hand, it tells people where you're going and what you're doing. On the other hand, it can make you look like a vagrant (homeless veteran single mother with cancer, a sick kid, and no food needs money) rather than, well, the good kind of vagrant :)

I personally dont fly a sign as it feels counterproductive to me. But it mostly comes down to personal preference. Also if you hitch on the back end, put on your rain gear and a fresh application of sunscreen to mask the stank. Just out of courtesy to the driver :)

If you had a dog along, you'd be sure to get a ride. Take a stuffed one if need be. A lot of people think if you're a dog lover, you're OK, or else they feel sorry for the dog and will stop.