Pre-trip Preparation

Surprise.....surprise its raining in Island Park as well

You and Dooley aren't up to no good are you? :thinking:
Dooley and his pack-mule buddies have been out on the trails stomping and destroying waterbars all day in Yellowstone. They're a little loco.

I'm in Pinedale now, heading south out of the storms. Staying at the Jackalope Motel. Had to pose as a Jack so they'd let me in.

My wife and kids are at her parents house which has made it easy to organize food for this trip. Since everyone else is showing their food, I figured I'd join in, never did one of these pics before :)

2023-08-05 17.40.18.jpg

I'm too cheap to buy prepared meals, so I make my own.
Dinner (9 nights)
2x Beans and Rice
3x Pork Ramen with Chili Crisp and Sesame Oil (this might be my new favorite meal)
2x Thai Curry Rice
1x Tomato Sauce and Ramen
1x Freeze-dried Barley/Quinoa/Kale with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and a Tuna Pack (maybe some chili crisp)
4oz of EVOO
4oz of Chili Crisp/Sesame Oil
Breakfast
6x Bob's Red Mill Museli with freeze dried strawberries
3x Clif Bars
18x Starbucks Via

I usually just snack vs lunch, but I considered PB&J and Tortillas and Tuna and Tortillas for lunch. And then I went to the grocery store, so many snacks !!! So no tortillas

4 different kinds of M&Ms (Peanut, Peanut Butter, Dark Chocolate, Cold Brew Caramel)
Raisins, dried cherries, apricots, prunes, mango
Smoked Almonds, Brown Sugar Cashews, Bold & Spicy Peanuts, Pistacio Mix (Pistacios, Cashews, Almonds)
Moon Cheese
A couple more Clif Bars and a couple Lara Bars and 4 mini (1/2 size) Lara Bars
4 packs of Combos
And @TractorDoc is bringing some home made freeze-dried ice cream from his neighbor? Co-worker? Somebody :)

Ends up being ~12.5# and 22000 calories for 9 nights or ~1.3# and 2500 calories per night. If I bother to do calculations like this, I do it based on total nights vs days since the first and last days are often short.

I think @scatman and @Bob were talking about Huckleberry Pancakes for a couple mornings, they are really generous guys to do that for @TractorDoc and me :)

Can you tell I'm super excited for this trip :)

lol ------ Sorry, id lose a lot of weight with those meals....... cliff bars I wont even discuss, especially ramen (I think eating some grass out there may taste better to me!!!) but each his own.... even though some freeze dried isnt great...
I have no idea on calories in my stuff....

lol ------ Sorry, id lose a lot of weight with those meals....... cliff bars I wont even discuss, especially ramen (I think eating some grass out there may taste better to me!!!) but each his own.... even though some freeze dried isnt great...
I have no idea on calories in my stuff....
Scott is not worried. The ice cream I'm bringing him will put his calorie count over the top.

If he gets desperate we can always offer him some Circus Peanuts. :)

Fun pre-trip thread! Can tell this group has done this before...

Learning a lot. Couldn't find a 2.5 lb pack as good as that GG Latitude Vapor. May borrow some of these food ideas. Tried using the infamous Ramen (w/o flavor pack) or potato flakes with freeze dried veggies and chicken plus low sodium bouillon. Actually wasn't terrible. :p

Back