Album People or Places Pics

SirDonB

So what's next?
I had a few pics I wanted to share from an offroading trip I took a few years ago to Centralia, PA and could not find an apropriate thread to post them in. So here is another blanket thread for any pics you have of people or places that don't really seem to fit anywhere else in this section.

The abandoned road and some Road art...

Some random shots with the vehicles we use to explore the area

The whole area, especially the abandoned road gave off an eerie vibe... This is the area in central PA that the goverment has been trying to buy the land back from the land owners because a mine fire started a number of decades ago and still burns to this day. There are still a few residents left in the town that are holding out till the bitter end. I have seen the pics of what the town used to look like driving down main street, and as of when I was there, there is next to nothing left aside from the couple of houses from those who still hang on to what they have.

Whoa, that really has an apocalyptic feel. A mine fire that burns for decades and wipes out a town? Makes you wonder what fracking could do, especially in a place like CA with an enormous population, very little water, and geologically active….:cautious:

Whoa, that really has an apocalyptic feel. A mine fire that burns for decades and wipes out a town? Makes you wonder what fracking could do, especially in a place like CA with an enormous population, very little water, and geologically active….:cautious:

yes, apocaluptic deff sums it up... it was a great time, but we took our time and watched where we drove and stepped. I had heard of stories about sink holes just opening up out of nowhere that were 50-100 feet or deeper. I was determined to not have one open up under me... looking back, it was a huge risk especially not knowing where the mine shafts were, where the coal vein ran, etc. It was well worth the risk though.

I had heard of the area on a History or Discovery show, then started looking it up, once I pinpointed the exact area, it was time to go and check it out. It was in my research that I had read about all the danger associeated with the area and what was going on under ground. In the winter the the fire zone is easy to spot... it will be the area without snow on the ground...