New guy from SE WY

Honk34

Hello all. My name is Ben. New to the page, but not new to the backcountry. I mostly go into the backcountry in search of fish to catch. I am an extremely avid angler, fishing as often as I can. I currently reside in Laramie, WY, where I am studying to be a fisheries biologist. Fish are basically I have to live for and often keep me up at night. Another thing that keeps me up at night is Flying Monkey Lake and its whereabouts. If anyone has any info they are willing to share, you will be appreciated beyond measure. I have searched on and off for several years with nothing but dead ends. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Welcome.

PM me on this forum...... About your experience in outdoors, backpcking, fishing, other less known areas, etc then we will talk.

Nice! My brother got his PHD in zoology from U Wyoming and now studies polar bears for a living! And I plan to pass through the area in a few days and hope to hit up the high point of the Snowy Range, which I’ve not done before and looks basically disappointingly easy

Heard good things about the Snowy Range from an old wrangler I met years ago at a ranch in the Winds. He might have been pretty toasted at the time though..

Ice out has been consistently stated as best time to fish. Not a fan of mosquitoes -happy to keep exploring in September. Maybe I'll find gold someday. I envy those that live closer! Anyway, follow up with @Bob and welcome to the forum.

Nice! My brother got his PHD in zoology from U Wyoming and now studies polar bears for a living! And I plan to pass through the area in a few days and hope to hit up the high point of the Snowy Range, which I’ve not done before and looks basically disappointingly easy
But easy is sometimes a good thing! That area is the best place for backpacking-with-young-kids that I have ever been. Tons of lakes right by each other, easy short mileage, and a couple of easy but beautiful peaks that the older kids can do. It was very crowded though, and I would only do it mid-week.

Here's a photo from our camp, which was only like a mile or two from the trailhead (but we had that specific area to ourselves):PXL_20210723_023759036.jpg

Last edited:
agreed that easy can be good! I'll most likely be there Monday, hopefully not too crowded on the Medicine Bow Peak trail (which is probably the most crowded trail in the area). last time I was there a couple years ago, the high area wasn't quite melted out so the little access roads off the main road were still blocked by snow, which kept the crowds way down

While we’re talking about SE Wyoming, should I stop at the hot springs in Saratoga, on highway 130?