MSR Guardian Purifier

we had 2 of them at work, and BOTH sold within a week. I personally use a First Need XLE filter which is not the lightest, but the Guardian is about the same weight/size.

I used the First Need XL/XLE for a lot of years, and for the money, it's far better than the Guardian, IMO. But I'll still never go back to exercising my forearm after experiencing the joys of gravity filters, steripens and/or aquamira.

Reactions: Ben
Well it seems this awesome filter has finally hit the market. Unfortunately, MSR seems to have had their head stuck up their asses and priced it at an astounding $349 MSRP. I hope consumers respond by not buying it. I know I won't. For $350, my water filter better sprout legs, find water, purify it, then deliver it to me. With a cocktail on the side, please. Or at least a massage or foot rub, or something.

I was hoping it would turn the water into 10 year old bourbon.

Well it seems this awesome filter has finally hit the market. Unfortunately, MSR seems to have had their head stuck up their asses and priced it at an astounding $349 MSRP. I hope consumers respond by not buying it. I know I won't. For $350, my water filter better sprout legs, find water, purify it, then deliver it to me. With a cocktail on the side, please. Or at least a massage or foot rub, or something.

So the cascade design rep came in and of course this is the big product that they came out with. he stated that the government came to MSR and asked them to produce a purifier that could turn most any water into drinking water, that it didn't need maintenance, could handle a drop from 6 feet onto concrete - basically create one for the troops.

They said it took them 3+ years to get this thing right. I have the first need XLE that i love, but when it goes, i may pick this one up. but who knows. i don't know how many purifiers that are on the market that are this compact, but probably not that many. I think lifestraw has gravity one, but isn't nearly as quick.