Lightroom update

Please tell me that's a joke and you don't really use an MNE?! :help: My brain hurts thinking about the last time I had to use a computer with one of those things at it!
I never joke about the important things. I've thrown away probably 5 apple keyboards to attach my "MNE"'s. I wear the letters off of them. Course when you type as much as I do... My carpal tunnel thanks me every time. :moses:

I bit the bullet and subscribed to the LR/PS CC 2015 programs. Initial thoughts are positive, I like the adjustment capabilities in LR, and I like the printer interface far better than Aperture, worth the $9/month price alone. As far as "migrating" my files, I have started exporting the RAW images to specific folders, then a separate export for modified files as 16 bit TIFFs to the same folder. Kind of time consuming, but i am only doing this for images I really like or need. Aperture is dead, and I am glad to be rid of it after working in LR. BTW one thing you have to do before working in LR is to check the "Automatically write changes into XMP" under Catalog Settings, which saves your changes to your RAW files in a sidecar file when that RAW file is exported.
Greg, what is a sidecar file and what do you do with it?

I never joke about the important things. I've thrown away probably 5 apple keyboards to attach my "MNE"'s. I wear the letters off of them. Course when you type as much as I do... My carpal tunnel thanks me every time. :moses:

o_O

If you need a place to throw those icky Apple keyboards away at, you know where I live. I prefer the wired one with the full keypad. :D

Greg, what is a sidecar file and what do you do with it?

When you export a RAW file that has been modified it will have your adjustments in another file sometimes called a "sidecar" in that it is attached to the RAW file, it's extension is .XMP and it holds all of your modifications, and automatically applies them to your RAW image when you open it up again.

Art, Is your MNE KB fully compatibly to the Mac? Shortcuts, commands, etc?

I don't really like Apple's wired KB. It's stylish, but has no illuminated buttons and no wrist contact surface also.
My G19 should be compatible to a Mac. But never I did a tryout. I'm to busy w/ configuration and file immigration at the moment.

@slc_dan. Are these covers, they are available for PS and LR, really helpful?

I used Aperture for many, many years - but finally bought the CC subscription when LR CC came out. However, i don't do any editing in LR (yet..) - i use it as I did Aperture; an "iTunes" for my photos. I do use ACR quite a bit, and PS CC 2015 for the rest as I work in smart objects and to my knowledge, LR doesn't allow this..

Why do you pay for Lightroom if you don't edit in it? The free photos app does a pretty good job of just storing and organizing photos, from what I hear.

Art, Is your MNE KB fully compatibly to the Mac? Shortcuts, commands, etc?

I don't really like Apple's wired KB. It's stylish, but has no illuminated buttons and no wrist contact surface also.
My G19 should be compatible to a Mac. But never I did a tryout. I'm to busy w/ configuration and file immigration at the moment.

@slc_dan. Are these covers, they are available for PS and LR, really helpful?

Hi @Michael , it is not all that compatible in that I have to learn other keyboard shortcuts. But much of it works an since I am on a Mac with the same keyboard all day at work and at home I have become accustomed to them. The only PIA is that the Microsoft keyboard drivers don't load up on reboot correctly so you have to just go into settings to load them up once each reboot.

Whoa that Logitech G19 you are using is quite the creature. Not curved though I guess.

Hi @langutah, thank you for your info, Art, and sorry for delay.
After 25 years of Microsoft, the mac mini confuses me a little bit.
Most of the keyboard shortcuts are working now, but not so comfortable like the original board. I've a bunch of programmable keys. Well, that's is work for the winter months.
Yes, the G19 is monster like, not curved, but very comfortable for me.

- LR CC has a new update to 20151.1
- PS CS 6 standalone will never again receive updates from Adobe in the future, users can switch to CC...

Another tool borrowed from photoshop I'm loving in LR. The "draw a line to match the angle." tool. so good.

Tell us more! I have been loving the leveling and perspective correction tools in LR for architectural photography.

I have not really dove into LR yet, but can you do the perspective control in RAW? If so I can maybe sell my TS-E lenses.

The example photos in that article are spot on. It used to be hell if my camera wasn't perfectly level when shooting architectural stuff. Now I just get it sort of close and LR does the hard work. Love it.