How many packs do you have?

ULA Circuit (used for 90% of my backpacking trips)
ULA Catalyst
SMD Fusion 65 X2
Osprey Volt 60
Gregory Baltoro 75
Gregory 45L (don't remember the name)

ULA Circuit (used for 90% of my backpacking trips)
ULA Catalyst

What are your thoughts on the ULA suspension? I want to like their packs based on appearances, but keep thinking they don't look particularly comfortable.

What are your thoughts on the ULA suspension? I want to like their packs based on appearances, but keep thinking they don't look particularly comfortable.

The heaviest I've carried in the Circuit is ~ 26lbs but it carried great and closer to 20lbs it's extremely comfortable, so much so you forget you're wearing it. I haven't used the Catalyst much but it too is very comfortable and supposed to carry well to 35lbs or so. I'm a big fan of the hip belt and overall suspension, it just becomes an extension of your body.

I'm sure if overloaded (30lbs+ for Circuit, 35lbs+ for Catalyst) they wouldn't carry as well as say my Baltoro but they also weigh 1/3 the weight and are much more comfortable in the weight range they're designed for. Since picking up the Circuit I really haven't used any of my other packs except for when I need more capacity for cold weather trips or for when I'm doing a day hike. It's really become my go to pack. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Circuit and from what I can tell the Catalyst as well.

Last edited:
My Circuit is the most comfortable pack I've worn. Dont even know it's on after a while, it becomes a part of you.
I started with ~40 lbs on an 8 day trip last year. I wouldn't go any heavier but not really an issue for one day.

Totally depends on the load. Neither of my ULA packs would hold a candle to my heavier Osprey Silhouette or Gregory Palisade packs over 30ish lbs.

Oh boy this thread makes me feel so much better about myself... I thought I was over the top, with five packs.

Camelbak something-or-another - Dayhiking
K2 Backside 24 - Backcountry skiing
Mountain Laurel Designs Prophet - backpacking (2-4 days)
ULA Circuit - backpacking (4+ days OR bear canister)
Osprey Aether 70 - throwing all my ski gear in to keep it organized. Formerly used for backpacking before I saw the light

My ULA Circuit has performed fine up to 35 lbs. It'll probably carry a bit more but I've never put that much weight in it to find out.

If you're consistently at that weight, the ULA is not the best choice for you. You'll want to either lighten your load or get a bomber pack. But if you're generally at 20 lbs ish, occassionally touching 30+ (perhaps you're doing a big 9-day food carry or somethign like that), then the ULA will be in its sweet spot.

Also if you live in Utah, GO TRY OUT THEIR PACKS. They're in a nondescript warehouse in Logan but they have terrific customer service. Take your current gear, try on several of their packs, walk around the building a couple times, and see how it feels. Only way to tell for sure if it'll work for you. Just shoot them an email and set up a time; they're pretty flexible.

Reactions: Ben
Also if you live in Utah, GO TRY OUT THEIR PACKS. They're in a nondescript warehouse in Logan but they have terrific customer service. Take your current gear, try on several of their packs, walk around the building a couple times, and see how it feels. Only way to tell for sure if it'll work for you. Just shoot them an email and set up a time; they're pretty flexible.

I've thought about this but it's still a pretty big time investment for me to go all the way up to Logan and back without knowing for sure if I'll proceed with a purchase. If you add the fuel cost of a tank of gas on top of the price, it stops looking competitive. It would be really nice if they had some kind of retail presence in the valley.

I really haven't heard of anyone disliking a ULA pack. If you carry recommended weights then I'm sure you'd be pleased with them. There's a reason that the Circuit is the most popular Thru-Hike pack out there.

you know through Osprey's guarantee they'll repair any thing broken with your pack.

It's not so much broken as worn out at this point. The older airspeed suspension still works but the amount of cushioning in the shoulder and hip belt (which was not a lot from the start) is pretty much nil. The straps in particular get pretty uncomfortable.

My hesitation going ULA are twofold: first, I like the ventilation of a trampoline suspension and second, I tend to carry photo gear that weighs a bit. I'm not in a rush to buy though, so I'll keep my options open.

@Ben "that's a good sized day pack."

Yes it is. It is rarely close to full unless I am skiing or snowshoeing and have the avalanche gear, extra winter jackets, first aid kit, stove & fuel, large chunks of human remains, etc. Even then it's not packed.

REI Flash 18
Osprey Talon 33, best daypack I've ever carried, although some use it for backpacking
Opsrey Aether 60, 8 years old but still my usual go to backpacking pack
Osprey Aether 85 with the beefier belt, very good for hauling loads of water into the dry places