How do you carry your lenses?

brassmunkie

Hi fellow hikers and camera lovers.

I'm curious how you carry your lenses and camera body. I have a Fuji XT-1 body with a wide angle (12mm), prime (35mm) and kit lens (18 - 55mm). It seems like I'm constantly changing lenses out to be able to capture the photos I want on the trail. I have a Joby gorilla pod tripod as well as a full size tripod that I occasionally strap below my tent on longer trips where I want really steady shots or star shots.

So I'm looking for suggestions about how to best carry my lenses in a place that keeps them safe but still accessible when I'm on the trail with my full backpack.

How do you pack your camera gear, especially those with multiple lenses and tripods?

Changing out lenses frequently while backpacking sounds not very fun. I usually try to stick with one lens on the trail and if I carry another one, it'll go in a neoprene sleeve in my pack. Maybe you should consider a different lens that would be better as an all-purpose.

How do you pack your camera gear, especially those with multiple lenses and tripods?

Each lens has its own body and must be accessible, or it's dead weight. That means I tend to carry one or two cameras on my chest, either in a chest pouch, attached by a Peak Designs clip or attached by strap and carabiner.

I carry mine in neoprene sleeves in a hip pouch that I made (similar to zpacks multipack but smaller). It will fit a couple lenses plus a snack/batteries/whatever. Typical kit these days is a 12mm, 21mm, and 35-70. How much changing I do just depends on the trip. Camera carried with a peak designs capture and tripod just strapped to side of pack or carried if I'm in a killer area taking lots of pics.

I generally have a 24mm on the camera (crop sensor), then a 10-18 in the pack. Mostly I'm too lazy to change it out, so I just pano images if I want it to be wider.