Golden Throne Circuit - Capitol Reef - October 2023

TrailScot

I would like to say that this day-hike had been meticulously planned in advance, but that wasn't really the case. On a Gaia GPS map, I had seen a small side-canyon, north of Capitol Gorge in Capitol Reef National Park. If it went, it looked like it could lead to a nice viewpoint of some of the huge sandstone domes, typical of this section of the park.

The route up through the side-canyon was a little tricky, with a couple of steep-ish, but short, slickrock slopes to negotiate. After emerging onto the upper levels, the walking was very easy, and it was possible to stroll along the rim and find a multitude of excellent viewpoints of the surrounding area. This had definitely been worth the effort.

It hadn't taken me long to reach the higher areas, so I decided to do a little exploring. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could scramble down to the next drainage to the north, and it was then a simple job to follow this scenic valley westwards. After easily rounding a couple of sandstone fins, I realized that I was headed directly towards the iconic Golden Throne feature. After descending a bumpy sandstone slope, the route was relatively straightforward, and before long I was standing alongside this magnificent formation.

I then had a quick glance at the Topo map on my GPS device, and realized that I was only a few hundred yards from the Golden Throne Trail, one of the most popular maintained trails in the park. I was delighted, since this meant I could follow this route back to the parking lot for a very satisfying loop hike. It also meant I wouldn't have to retrace my steps back across the rather convoluted route I had taken so far to reach this point. I should be back at my car within the hour ... hooray !

Ah ! Perhaps a quick glance at my map wasn't very sensible. Although the park trail was tantalizingly close, there was the small inconvenience of an almost 300 foot drop to reach the lower level. Oops ! I did try to scramble down a small gully, but this resulted in a sheer 100 foot cliff below me.

The upside was that I could return to my original route by completing the circuit of the Golden Throne itself, which was a fantastic short walk, with incredible views of many additional stunning sandstone domes. I had spent way too much time earlier looking for a way down from the higher levels, so it was a rather exhausting walk back. It was getting towards sunset when I descended down through the small side-canyon that took me back to Capitol Gorge, and it was dark by the time I reached my car. My hoped-for 1 hour return journey had turned into over 3 hours ! I couldn't complain though; it was a wonderful day's hiking.

I had expected the parking lot to be empty when I returned, but there were 2 guys wandering around the area, with their headlamps shining in all directions. What was going on ? I was a bit nervous as I approached, but it turned out that they had been hiking earlier in the day, and had returned to their motel, only to find that they had left a phone behind at the parking lot. I joined them in the search, and soon after, they fortunately found the phone nearby !

==========================================================

Golden Throne Route Oct 2023 V2a.jpg
Golden Throne Route Oct 2023 V1a.jpg

Golden Throne Route Oct 2023 Prof2a.jpg

Sandstone Domes above Capitol Gorge (gorge visible left center)
DSC08590_20pc.JPG

Golden Throne visible in the far distance
DSC08601_20pc.JPG

Descending into the next valley to the north
DSC08610_20pc.JPG

Incredible views eastwards, across the slickrock sea, towards the Notom-Bullfrog Road
DSC08626_20pc.JPG
Small domes to the north
DSC08641_20pc.JPG
At the bottom of the bumpy sandstone descent
DSC08646_20pc.JPG

Following the scenic valley towards Golden Throne
DSC08638_20pc.JPG

Eastern flank of Golden Throne
DSC08659_20pc.JPG

More pretty sandstone formations
DSC08669_20pc.JPG

Southern flank of Golden Throne
DSC08672_20pc.JPG

Very very cool. Just based on maps I wouldn't have thought it possible to get down off that big bumpy slickrock into what Steve Howe unofficially named "Blow Sand Canyon". Great place. And I've oft wondered about access down the western side of Golden Throne. A few spots looks tempting, but I've only read about people doing it ropes. Congrats on the good hike.

Very very cool. Just based on maps I wouldn't have thought it possible to get down off that big bumpy slickrock into what Steve Howe unofficially named "Blow Sand Canyon". Great place. And I've oft wondered about access down the western side of Golden Throne. A few spots looks tempting, but I've only read about people doing it ropes. Congrats on the good hike.

Thanks Jamal ... yes, when I stood at the top of that bumpy sandstone slope, I thought there was no chance that I'd make it down to the bottom ... as you know, often this type of slickrock initially angles away gradually, before getting just too steep for safety... on this occasion, I was pretty amazed that the 'gentle' slope continued all the way to the valley floor ... it ended up being a very straightforward descent and ascent ...