Daypack for backpacking?

HomerJ

What does everyone use for a daypack while on backpacking trips? I now a lot either use their backpack as a daypack or use the hood off of their backpack as a daypack. I've never liked the fanny pack styles (what my hood converts to) and my backpack is too big to use as a daypack. Currently I pack in a fairly light weight camelbak, but it's a little bulky and can't help think that theirs a better pack I could be using. In the past I've either strapped it on the back of my pack or stuffed it in the top before closing the lid (if it'd fit). On my last backpacking trip I put my sleeping back and air mattress inside the daypack and then stuffed it in the sleeping bag compartment of my backpack and that worked ok (better than strapped on the backpack or stuffed in the top).

Anyway, just curious to what others might use...

Thanks

Currently i have a drawstring bag that I use. The straps aren't the most comfortable but it works. Eventually I want to get one of those tiny day packs that pack down incredibly small. It would save me a little weight and the straps are wider and more comfortable.

Lisa and I use both the REI Flash 18, an ultralight daypack.
It is so light weight that I use it beside the day trips as a stuff sack on my backpacking trip. It also has an extra pocket where you can attach your water bladder and has space for a lot of stuff.

Lisa and I use both the REI Flash 18, an ultralight daypack.
It is so light weight that I use it beside the day trips as a stuff sack on my backpacking trip. It also has an extra pocket where you can attach your water bladder and has space for a lot of stuff.
Ah, that is the type of pack I'm looking for! Thanks Yvonne!

I use a Sea to Summit Ultra-sil when bike touring. One of the lightest I've found, pack size is smaller than a tennis ball, holds enough. No padding on the straps and kinda slippery. Might need a smaller strap to keep the shoulder straps together and keep from slipping, I don't and never had issues but I can see where this could be a problem. Try one out first.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86

edit for link attachment

Ah, that is the type of pack I'm looking for! Thanks Yvonne!

+1 for the Flash 18 --it becomes a perfectly innocuous stuff sack when turned inside out. I've only had it be not large enough for day hikes a couple of times when I wanted to carry an SLR, a jacket, and plenty of water.

Before I bought the Flash 18 I used the Sea to Summit Ultra Sil. It is incredibly light, but very slippery, and without a hip belt it wasn't comfortable enough for me. Plus I could never figure out a decent way to fit my water bladder. The Flash addressed all my issues. I love that pack! I stuff my sleeping bag and clothes in it until I get to camp, so it does double duty.

I'm thinking of getting the Flash 22. I like that it has a lid that'll help keep the rain out and mesh pockets that'll fit my water bottle. I need to weigh my camelpak and see how the two compare.

Another good choice: the Mountainsmith Scream 25

According to the REI "specs" pages it's both a little roomier and a little lighter than the Flash 22. I've been using this as a daypack since last winter and love it, though I had to add a chest strap to prevent the shoulder straps from creeping backwards when it's worn over a slippery shell jacket.

I haven't tried the Flash 22 but my family has two Flash 18s, one for each kid -- they are great daypacks for long hikes for them.

+1 for the Flash 18 --it becomes a perfectly innocuous stuff sack when turned inside out. I've only had it be not large enough for day hikes a couple of times when I wanted to carry an SLR, a jacket, and plenty of water.

That's funny. For me it was so big that half of the bag was still empty.
I usually day hike with a Talon 11 and everything including a tripod and rain jacket fits into it. I use the Flash 18 primarily for backpacking day hikes.

Before I bought the Flash 18 I used the Sea to Summit Ultra Sil. It is incredibly light, but very slippery, and without a hip belt it wasn't comfortable enough for me. Plus I could never figure out a decent way to fit my water bladder. The Flash addressed all my issues. I love that pack! I stuff my sleeping bag and clothes in it until I get to camp, so it does double duty.

It is slippery. That's why I use a small strap the keep the shoulder strap together. It is not meant to handle a huge load. Usually I carry 2 bombers and a sub for dinner when biking to camp. I imagine it could carry 2 liters water, food, rain gear. I guess it matters how often you use it and how much you haul.

Right now I'm on a Tom BIHN kick and I'm pimping a Smart Alec with the additional Upper Modular Pouch. Made in USA. Top tier quality and super intelligent design.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

I use my Granite Gear Vapor Trail or Latitude Vapor for long trips and day trips. Has compressions side straps to suck it in. Weighs about 2.5 lbs so its great for both...

All these suggestions are great. I guess the biggest question is what are you doing for the day trip? Exploring a cirque? Summiting a peak? Fishing? Birding? Wandering?
Another question is, how long to you leave base camp?

Personally I usually crunch too many miles in a day to necessitate a day pack. I like the strenuous adventure I guess. For example, I talked my wife and three friends into packing the JMT in 12 days with an average of 22ish miles a day. Big time awesome and hopefully, soon, I'll be able to do a write up and photos for that one. Anyway, my usual day trip involves a peak and the approach usually isn't too far. In those instances I use the Osprey Daylight. It's small and if overloaded it isn't very comfortable, but it's light and does the job. If the day trip adventure is bigger I'll leave what I can in the tent at base camp and haul the big boy (usually the Talon 44, Aether 65 or Aether 85).
I'm really just adding my opinion to this, so there you go.

Salud!

When I backpack I walk..........I don't run it. 12 miles a day max, usually about 9 in mountains. I look at the scenery and enjoy...... but each his own on hiking speed.

All these suggestions are great. I guess the biggest question is what are you doing for the day trip?

Depends on the trip! One style is a moving trip where, as you say, no daypack is needed since any excursions will be short ones in the evening. Another style is backpack to a base camp, do a number of day trips, then hike out. I love this kind of trip, but I might be away from camp for 10 or 12 hours and go through some food + 3L of water. In this case I've found that a small daypack like the Flash 18 is very limiting and I've ended up making compromises like drinking pothole water at the end of the day, leaving my SLR behind, etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Usually I backpack to base camp. From there I'll head out each day and be gone all day until evening. I pack my food for the day, water filter, a water bottle, rain jacket, if it might get cold a micro fleece, if there's a good chance of rain my rain pants, tripod, SLR camera, fishing lures/gear/pole, first aid kit, sunscreen, skeeter dope, and probably one or two other things I didn't think of just know... So ya, quit a bit!