Votes: 0 0.0%
  • some times

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • never

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters

Ben

do you use a compass.

it's listed as one of the Mountaineer's 'ten essentials'.

i have never used one, or felt a need for one.

No. I've never carried one. I do see how it could be a good idea having one though.

i have one attached to a tiny thermometer i carry with me, but i've never used it. the compass is smaller than my thumb nail. i bring the thermometer for kicks, and cuz i never take it out of the pack. also i'm unconvinced that i've ever been in a situation where i haven't know / couldn't figure out which way north is. or a situation where knowing was entirely crucial.

I carry a small button compass in my first aid kit, but I've never had cause to use it. I'm relatively new to backpacking (just over 2 yrs so far), though, so I have limited my trips to established trails. I suspect as I continue to gain experience I'll want to learn compass navigation so I can do more off-trail travel.

We always carry one. Pick a cloudy day in a forest and then try to figure out which way is North. Plus, we do a fair amount of travel off trail, and you want to make sure that you are clear which of those two mountains is the one with the lake at the base.

If you are going to carry one, make it a good one. When we travel off-trail it is amazing how much different ten degrees makes in a mile. And if you are looking for a small lake, you better make sure you are pretty darn accurate.

Only one occasion in 6 decades have I ever had need for one and even then, we figured it out, without. I do carry a GPS unit when someplace like the Beartooths. Helps eliminate some of those "can't get there from here" moments.

I can see the need for either in a lot of places, just not where we tend to end up. Someplace like Maine with endless forest and no land marks.

Awesome poll. I think it would definitely be useful in some situations like the ones @balzaccom describes, but I have never actually used one in the backcountry. Even on a cloudy day in a forest, the topography and landmarks where I usually hike are so easy to read.

Totally agree that if you're going to carry one, carry a good one. I have one of those mini compasses on top of one of my old nalgene bottles. Get me drunk, blindfold me and spin me in circles and I could still tell you which way is north better than that thing.

I always carry one but rarely use it. I get really familiar to what it looks like where I am traveling by GE and topos. But sometimes I need a check when clouds are really low and in the dark. Not sure those mini compasses qualify. I have seen many that don't point north. Get a decent one, they are inexpensive and light...I carry a SIlva Ranger.

I always carry one and I use it when I go off trail. I have a Brunson, I've liked it and found it reliable. I'll admit I've used it less the more I've used my GPS. The other thing I use if for is determining where the sun will rise and set to choose a camp spot with the shade I want.

It's one of those things I feel like I should have with me but never do. I've never had a need for one yet.... famous last word right. :)

I use one for locating south facing alcoves, and for hiking across mesa tops, pretty indispensable. I like finding my car :)

On an ATV in the San Rafael desert, where the world has whizzed by you at 30mph and all the (points of interest) lamdmarks are worms in a can at half a days ride.... WHERE EXACTLY ARE WE?.... you darn right I want a compass! (and the MAP) orient to MN, shoot the two or three highest peaks in the distance Draw your azmuth lines and THATs where you are. I tried a garmin GPS.... the damn thing devoured batteries.

I always carry one with me when hiking, but I don't think I've used it since I bought my Garmin. I'm probably too dependent on my GPS, but I love that thing.

However, driving is an entirely different matter. I keep one in my car so when I get lost I can figure out which direction I need to turn. Oddly enough, I don't like using a GPS in my car!

If you are going to carry one, make it a good one. When we travel off-trail it is amazing how much different ten degrees makes in a mile. And if you are looking for a small lake, you better make sure you are pretty darn accurate.

A buddie an I were (thought) we were jeeping the pony express trail in west Utah in 87, we had stopped several times and laid the map out on the hood of my CJ7 and picked directions.... by the evening of day one Nothing was making sense.... we couldn't make a single peak line up to what we "knew" was an oriented map.... I suggested we climb to the top of a nearby hill to get a better view.... and Horror horrors, as we stepped 30 or so yards away from my buddies 4x4, that compass needle started to swing...... The magnet mount on his CB antenna was to blame.... we were Nowhere near where we thought we were.... to the tune of 50 miles or better! we limped into the first gas station we came to on fumes....

I always carry one but rarely use it.
Not sure those mini compasses qualify. I have seen many that don't point north.
Get a decent one, they are inexpensive and light...I carry a SIlva Ranger.

Silva does make a trustworthy compass. Im very fond of a Lensatic compass, but you see imposters of them all over the place beware!... if ones in your future, heres the real McCoy at a decent price http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&tag=backcountrypo-20&linkId=VLD5HENLXI6Z75HR

i take a map with me, and have always done very well with that. there has been more than one time that i have missed a very faint or unsigned trail junction, but known it with in a couple hundred yards or so because i could tell the topography was wrong. my off trail experience is much less than some people's on here, but i've still felt fine with just a map in those situations.

here's the list, and apparently a new one also, as taken from REI's web site, so i could copy and paste it in stead of retyping the whole thing from the book i was looking at that prompted the question initially. interesting.

Updated Ten Essential "Systems"
  1. Navigation (map and compass)
  2. Sun protection (sunglasses and sunscreen)
  3. Insulation (extra clothing)
  4. Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)
  5. First-aid supplies
  6. Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candles)
  7. Repair kit and tools
  8. Nutrition (extra food)
  9. Hydration (extra water)
  10. Emergency shelter
Classic Ten Essentials
  1. Map
  2. Compass
  3. Sunglasses and sunscreen
  4. Extra clothing
  5. Headlamp/flashlight
  6. First-aid supplies
  7. Firestarter
  8. Matches
  9. Knife
  10. Extra food
The original Ten Essentials list was assembled in the 1930s by The Mountaineers, a Seattle-based organization for climbers and outdoor adventurers. In 2003, the group's updated "systems" approach made its debut in its seminal text on climbing and outdoor exploration, Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills (The Mountaineers Books), now in its eighth edition.

The list is still very relevant in today's world. Not only hiking but in your vehicle. I carry all of that in my fire pack at work on Wildland Fires as well. It will save your butt in all but the very worst case.