Camping music

Sometime I do listen to music when I am hiking on local trails for training/to try and stay in shape. This is what my playlist looks like right now and I'm sure these are all of your favorite bands ;)

Similar tastes as me, a lot of these bands on my playlist as well!

Love music while mountain biking. Hiking/backpacking I usually skip it. I do have a tendency to go further then I probably should and then am forced with a long hike out on the final day. During those times I reach a certain point where I just need to churn some miles and usually throw the headphones in and appreciate the distraction from the pain lol.

Are you going to the final Warped Tour at the end of June? A number of those bands are playing. I'll be there!

It's been almost 10 years since I've been to a warped tour, wanted to make this last one but I will most likely be in Glacier at least for SLC's.

When I'm camping, I'm usually with the fam and a little quiet time music helps the kids relax. Hiking: I've never gotten used to earbuds or headphones when I'm hiking. They feel uncomfortable and weird. I usually have a song blaring in my head though, in full concert stereo dolby THX surround sound. It will go on for hours and after awhile I have to plug in some actual music to force a channel change. My brain seems to get very focused on a random thing when I walk for a long time.

Modest Mouse did not do it for me, not good for mixing with other things so I cleansed my discombobulation with some Sweaty Summer Soul. When reading The Stranger in the Woods later on, a great camping book by the way, went with Paganini. An elementary teacher taught that classical music with no lyrics is the only good music for reading. Even the part where the soprano comes in during Henry’s Gorecki’s Symphony No 3 is enough to make put down a book and listen. But that would be amazing for hiking in strange country.

Oh for the days of four tracks and no computer generation when it comes to music, okay maybe eight...

I used to never listen to music on the trail and used to scoff at the idea. Then I tried it a few years ago, listened to some trampled by turtles while doing a day hike and I fell in love with the experience. Depending on the music it can really elevate the experience in my mind. That said I don't do it all the time, maybe about 25% of my time hiking I have music going. I think it depends on the music, your mood at the time, and the particular hike. I will also put on some music when the hiking turns into a death march, this usually happen on long hike out of the mountains when you are just ready to get back to the car and the fun is over.

As far as what kind of music, I prefer bluegrass, folk, and classical while I am in the outdoors.

Trampled By Turtles are awesome! Forgot to add them! Thanks for reminding me!

Kinda like @Noun Sequitur and @Outdoor_Fool I almost always have a soundtrack in my mind. I will sing it at times, -sometimes over and over.
Usually widely varying tunes and genres as I think music is a big part of life.

I will also listen a bit before sleeping sometimes or when I want a new song in my head... however, if anyone remembers this report, it has led to me not listening to music with both earbuds when I am with my kids.
https://backcountrypost.com/threads...-by-guardsman-pass-june-2017.7182/#post-86833

Music kinda helps solidify memories and emotions for me. So I have songs associated with different adventures or hikes just because they were in my head during that time.

Shout out for teh metalz here as well. Nothing like s little Megadeth or Slayer to get the blood pumping. I normally dont listen to anything while hiking but it's a great treat if the going gets tough, the motivation is lacking, or I need to bust out the miles.

Now I will say that more than once I got a song in my head while hiking and it would NOT go away. Ever have that experience? Oddly for me its not usually a song I would be blaring in my Jeep either... go figure

Now I will say that more than once I got a song in my head while hiking and it would NOT go away. Ever have that experience? Oddly for me its not usually a song I would be blaring in my Jeep either... go figure

Yep! Specifically I remember my head refusing to play anything else but Hey Ya by Outkast for a whole day in Canyonlands NP.

OooooOOOOOoooooo music...my life.
I am always singing and humming when not hiking. I am that person you see dancing and mouthing to songs in their car. I hum and whistle a tune in stores, at work, at home.
However, when hiking, I am not as bad. I think because in public, I am trying to distract myself from the world. When I hike and camp, I enjoy the silence.
However, so far, if I am singing, it is usually Disney, Christmas, or commercial jingles that get stuck in my head on REPEAT.
If I do pull out my iPod, it is usually orchestral or happy pop stuff from 80s - present. You know, stuff to keep me chipper.:dance: