backpacking & the state of the Art

on the clothing portion of this topic. i've gotten thirteen days in one t shirt. i'll bring a couple layers for the conditions, but not extras, with the exception of socks. pants that zip off to shorts are the way to go. when it's cold out i've brought some thing to wear under them. i've found that i need much less cold weather gear than i used to imagine. but i'm usually either walking or in a sleeping bag.

regarding pack weight. like some people said about mind set vs high tech gear, i've found the biggest thing to be leaving stuff at home that i don't need. growing up i always took a pocket knife or multi tool. i haven't for years now. i've never missed it. i haven't ran out and spent hundreds of dollars on ultra light gear, but over the years i've upgraded my pack, pad, and just recently my tent. just as the money's come. @backwoodsBob , how often do you use, or do you really think you would use some of the things you mentioned in your first aid kit. mine is quite basic. some one mentioned food being a big part of their pack weight. i've found that i eat about a pound of food a day. a ten day trip would equal ten pounds.

regarding meeting people on the trail, i've come across people who i've talked to for half an hour or so, and a lot of people that i merely nod to. depends on how 'like minded' they seem to be i suppose. passing some people on the trail, i do like to ask them where they're going to and coming from, and where they're from livingwise. a curiosity.

i've found that i can enjoy backpacking with out a fire.

how often do you use, or do you really think you would use some of the things you mentioned in your first aid kit. mine is quite basic

well, Ill claim Im just a product of my generation on this one. When I worked for the Boy Scouts on their council camps Staff I saw just about every manor of backwoods boo Boo from bug bites to near amputations, and one death in the woods....(ammonia inhalants, larger gauze pads sutures, GI surplus battle dressing, quick clot) In the Sawtooths My Pal slipped from a Open book crevice while he was climbing El Capitain, ( not Ca) in his short but self arrested fall, he dislocated his shoulder... we had to send our strongest runner to civilization to get him helicoptered out. ( Ammonia inhalants, triangular bandage ) And in my Job as along haul Trucker, being the first one to come upon an accident is part and parcel of the job (everything else) ....so in keeping with Scoutings tradition, I carry a firstaid kit for others, not so much for myself. Its worth it to me to have something on hand that will help.

Reactions: Ben
A lot of the popular areas do not allow fires, which is why many of us have to carry a stove.
I suspected something like that..... that's sad. there have been a couple hippy conventions we operated a kitchen at during fire bans in the forest... It wasn't too hard to get a waver (literally a permit we posted on a tree in our camp) as long as common sense fire safety and prevention was practiced. USFS even permitted our outfit a BlisPit (bonfire) but I can Imagine individuals, would find obtaining one from USFS or BLM impossible .

Also keep in mind that a lot more people get out than in the old days. The impact of people on the land is greater than ever. If everyone insisted on a bonfire at every camp, there would be far fewer trees. I'm not anti fire, but 80% of the time I don't have a fire, and never a bonfire unless we are car camping and we bring our own wood.

In general, if you need a saw to have a fire then something is wrong. I guess it could be handy if you found a huge dead log you needed to chop up. My years in scouts taught me to leave no trace and to make a small but efficient fire and to use deadfall. It saddens me when i hear people chopping down trees for firewood while I'm backpacking, especially when there are so few trees left in some high mountain areas. In my opinion, nobody should need to chop or cut anything off a tree in order to have a fire unless it's an absolute emergency or you're on private land.

For me, transitioning to a lighter pack was about more than just weight; it was about simplifying. As I simplify my pack, I simplify my life, and my trips are simplified. Instead of looking for reasons to use a particular piece if gear (like I used to), I now pack only what is necessary (with a couple exceptions, we all have our guilty pleasures). The increase in simplicity is what I gained the most from my recent paradigm shift, and while I could find a hundred uses for a leatherman, I don't NEED it, so it stays in the car.

I know that in the Sawtooths they require either a fire blanket or fire pan to put your fire on...if there isn't a fire ban.
As for a saw, I've never had the need. When I need firewood I'm pretty good with the ole foot stomp or spinning round house to a branch on a fallen tree. Besides, dead wood burns much easier.
And for a knife/multi tool...I got a Swiss army knife a couple years ago from my in laws and it's perfect. Very light and has all the tools I need.

Also keep in mind that a lot more people get out than in the old days. The impact of people on the land is greater than ever. If everyone insisted on a bonfire at every camp, there would be far fewer trees. I'm not anti fire, but 80% of the time I don't have a fire, and never a bonfire unless we are car camping and we bring our own wood.

In general, if you need a saw to have a fire then something is wrong. I guess it could be handy if you found a huge dead log you needed to chop up. My years in scouts taught me to leave no trace and to make a small but efficient fire and to use deadfall. It saddens me when i hear people chopping down trees for firewood while I'm backpacking, especially when there are so few trees left in some high mountain areas. In my opinion, nobody should need to chop or cut anything off a tree in order to have a fire unless it's an absolute emergency or you're on private land.

I couldn't agree more! we owe it to ourselves and those that come after us to preserve the nature we love. But Im not opposed to making use of a renewable natural resource in a sane manner if its appropriate. re, a bowsaw, Ive been surprised by how many folks haven't seen this trick, so Ill describe it... forgive me if its old news to you.

I like a fire that will last all night (and I mean, ALL NIGHT) without feeding it. take (2) 3 to 4 foot long, 10 inch across cured logs stacked one on top of another. like the index and your bird finger on one hand... you cage or brace them so they wont fall off each other, & " chink" between them with a couple 1.5" cross sticks (just enough to create a gap between your logs)... add the average amount of kindeling and smalls that you can fit in the gap to get em started, (you flatten & rough up the matting sides of the logs with a saw or hatchet like a fuzz stick to help ignite the logs but it doesn't take much ) light it and walk away! those two logs, will burn a low, safe heat producing fire all night long without adding another twig. Perfect for a lean to. and Conservitive of resources!

When I need firewood I'm pretty good with [a] spinning round house to a branch on a fallen tree.

Awesome! Best post I've read in a long time (no joke). Chuck norris has nothing on you Parma. That's awesome.

I'm thinking I overestimated what my usual pack weight is. I just came across an old thread from another question and it showed my weight along with everything in my pack for a 7-day, 80+ mile trip (in a 36L pack). Lots of links on my list, so it could be of interest to you @backwoodsBob. Here's a link:

Okay. Food packed, I still have to throw in some dehydrated smoked salmon but I'm at 9 pounds of food now, so lets say 10 lbs total. That puts me at 31.6 pounds. Add a liter of water and I'm at 33.8 lbs. Now time to pick a fishing pole....

The list:
http://backcountrypost.com/threads/live-from-the-highline-trail.1077/#post-11155

37.6 lbs when it was all said and done for 7-8 days (16 of which consumable):
http://backcountrypost.com/threads/live-from-the-highline-trail.1077/page-2#post-11209

Surprised I haven't seen anybody mention an electronic gadget they have to have. I see lots of peopole futsing with electronics and hiking with ear buds. I can't do that - I'm there to be part of nature and listen to its music. I've put off buying a gps all these years because I'm afraid it will take too much time messing with it to make it do all the cool things.

I wish people were more friendly on the trails. Lots of people act like they need to get away so bad they can't help but be unfriendly. I generally assume young women will consider me a creeper. Been a long time since I shared a camp fire or conversation with new acquaintances. More friendly conversations would be welcomed.

Oh, and I think a small/light version multi-tool is highly useful, personally. I have a Gerber Crucial but there is probably lighter/better now.
Gerber = top shelf I love that company. they build some well thought out Task specific tools that require few excuses

Gerber = top shelf I love that company. they build some well thought out Task specific tools that require few excuses
What?? Don't want to use Clelland's single edge razor blade to put the screw back in your glasses? And a Buck knife is probably the last thing I would want to pack but I've found the Leatherman Squirt to be just about perfect for my backcountry needs. Relatively light, very compact, and very useful.

As for saws (or hatchets) in the backcountry, they just flat don't belong there-period. And unless it's a designated campsite with a fire ring, I feel the same about campfires. Without doubt, one of the most destructive things you can do in the wilderness. If you HAVE to build a fire, you are ill-prepared and need to give more thought to both planning and gear. I haven't had a backcountry fire for close to 40 years.

@backwoodsBob , how often do you use, or do you really think you would use some of the things you mentioned in your first aid kit. mine is quite basic.

Sort of like asking how often we plan to take a good fall or ride a rock down a talus slope, or for that matter, how often one plans on crashing their car. It's all statistical probabilities and what level of risk you are willing to accept. Like car insurance, first aid supplies aren't really something I plan on actually using. I certainly have more stuff than what's in the ultra light video but try to keep it relatively light. But maybe some of that is from being an EMT for a while in a former life.

Bob,

This has been a good discussion to read through with lots of good responses. This is probably going to be a long response from me as I'm prone to do with discussions such as this but I hope it can be informative and some additional value to the thread for any others engaged or lurking here.

Regarding the social aspects of backpacking, I concur with what many others have said. I'll always say hi to fellow hikers passing by, and will enjoy a quick chat with anyone when opportunity presents itself, but most of the time, outside of the company I start my hike with or pre-plan to meet up with, I tend to seek solitude. I don't always enjoy it when a place of wilderness feels more like an amusement park, which as @steve said, is often the case with popular national parks such as Zions and Arches and even places closer to home like Timpanogos or Brighton Lakes on a summer Saturday, even more so on Labor Day. I won't let such crowds keep me away such places if that's where I want to go, but I just have to put myself in a different mindset if I know such crowds are to be expected. Like most others have said, I won't invite myself into another's camp or go around a lake just to say hi and get to know someone, but if I were to go on a solo trip, there's a certain peace of mind that comes with having some other trail traffic and neighbors nearby when camping. Of course, If I ever had the opportunity to do a thru-hike on the PCT or AT, then I would totally expect and plan to meet and chat with lots of people, camp with strangers, exchange food and develop some camaraderie with all the other fellow hikers. So, aside from such a thru-hike, for me, the opportunity to find some solitude, self-reflection, and enjoy the peace and tranquillity of a beautiful wilderness setting are usually the primary objectives for venturing out on a backpacking trip and that's just hard to do when there is a huge population of others occupying the same area. Being able to make and share great memories with wife, family, and/or friends is also something I enjoy about getting out in the backcountry when such company is present.

Regarding fires, I always enjoy conversing with any company I'm with while sitting around a good campfire when the area permits it, but will usually only cook on the fire if I'm car camping or caught some fish that I'll wrap in foil and toss on some coals. When backpacking however, fire or no fire, my dinner will more often consist of something that only needs hot water to cook or rehydrate it at which point a stove of some type will almost always be not only more convenient but also more efficient. And, as others have said, there are way more people using the backcountry now than prior times. There are several lakes all throughout the Uintas where all the dead wood and dry fall have pretty much been cleaned out and fire restrictions have been put in place within 200 feet of their shores. I'm not a fan of big bonfires except when it's someone's backyard or on other private property. When on public land, I think it's best to be as conservative as you can, and when fires are permitted, they should be kept relatively small using as little wood as possible. I do like your all-night fire set up if you are in a survival situation or tarp camping near the side of a rock and it's rather cold out.

And regarding "old school" skills and what not, I think the term they have for that now is called "Bushcraft". I think it's valuable knowledge to know how to whittle and fashion your own tools from the natural resources out there and know how to live off the land with little to nothing else from civilized society, as it were, and many have made this into a hobby. I have nothing but respect for these people, but I'd much rather take some comforts and luxuries from home that allow me to leave as little trace and use as little natural resources as reasonably possible. I'm grateful and feel fortunate to live in a time where such technological advancements and big selection in outdoor gear is now available from what there was with prior generations. With that said, the recurring theme throughout this thread that "less is more" still holds true and is a good mindset to have. I think a great balance of bushcraft style knowledge and resourcefulness with modern gear can go a long ways in leaving no trace and allowing one to cover great distances with less stress on their backs, knees, and feet.

As for your questions from the OP...

I recall in my day my average pack weight was usually in the 45 to 59 lb range... how does that stack up to your full load today say for a week and 50 miles?

The longest trip I've done was 65 miles this last summer, hiking from Summit Park (Park City) to Provo. I don't currently have money for the ultra high-tech super lightweight materials and gear currently out on the market, but my base weight (pack minus clothes worn on the trail, food, water, and stove fuel) was about 23 lbs or so. Adding full bottles of water, food, and fuel put it up to around 30-32 lbs or so. We completed the trip in 4 days, with our longest day being close to 20 miles. With the distance we were covering each day, I anticipated being much hungrier and packed accordingly, but only ended up getting through about half my day's worth of snacks each day, so I ended up finishing with a couple lbs more extra food than needed.

Steve posted some great videos by Mike Clelland and I too highly recommend his book for tips on where you can lighten your load in big and little ways. To show more of what's possible, I found this video of a guy who claims to have a sub 10 lb pack of gear he uses on his thru-hikes.

Then, not to be beaten, here's a guy whose name is John Chlarson who managed a suitable mid-summer overnighter system weighing under 5 lbs!

Under 5 lbs! That includes the fishing pole! I'd say only a scout going out for his wilderness survival badge could top that. Seriously though, John has a whole library of some terrific videos he's posted on his YouTube channel about repurposing various products and being resourceful at lightening your load on a small budget.

Another informative YouTube channel with well done videos worth checking out that shows what kind of ultralight gear is out there is from a guy named Dave Collins:

Lastly, I really enjoy this video that does a nice job comparing and contrasting "traditional" backpacking gear vs newer advancements in gear:

What modern gadget do you find INDESPENCABLE?
Was going to say LED headlight, but after further thought...a camera. It's great to bring back photos to share with others and put up on BCP. :)

What Old school tool will you carry despite its weight?
I don't know if it qualifies as "old school" but I like to carry one of these Light My Fire knives. Especially if I'm out on a solo hike or staying the night in an area that permits fires. I don't know how successful I could really be in using it for self-defense purposes, but I like to think I could give a bear or other big animal a good sting with it if circumstances ever came to that (i.e. if bear spray fails). More so, it does a fantastic job of batoning small pieces of wood for making tinder and kindling. I'd probably leave it at home or at least in the car when taking trips into the desert though.

What implement IYHO, has made the leap from my generation to yours with little change
My age and experience doesn't go that far back, but my guess is cookware or footwear. If you were to ask what has seen the greatest change and innovation, I'd have to guess that it would be shelter systems.

Oh, and I think a small/light version multi-tool is highly useful, personally. I have a Gerber Crucial but there is probably lighter/better now.

Not sure how it compares with the Crucial, but I have a Gerber Dime. I think it might be the smallest multi-tool they make, or darn close to it. I think the scissors and pliers have proven more useful than the knife itself.

What?? Don't want to use Clelland's single edge razor blade to put the screw back in your glasses? And a Buck knife is probably the last thing I would want to pack but I've found the Leatherman Squirt to be just about perfect for my backcountry needs. Relatively light, very compact, and very useful.

As for saws (or hatchets) in the backcountry, they just flat don't belong there-period. And unless it's a designated campsite with a fire ring, I feel the same about campfires. Without doubt, one of the most destructive things you can do in the wilderness. If you HAVE to build a fire, you are ill-prepared and need to give more thought to both planning and gear. I haven't had a backcountry fire for close to 40 years.

I HAVE to differ with you John. But I can dig your point of view. Designated Camp ground.... what does that mean? I can take you to a spot by the 35mph S turn on your way to Big Sky that's odviously a camp ground.... but its not ..."Designated" When the county seat can permit the power company to clear cut paths up and down the canyon and burn the debris for weeks on end, Snarling traffic for miles and months, But wants to fine joe camper for a cook fire I have a hypocracy issue there... and Precisely WHO is doing the "desiginating".... Utah is locking horns with the Federal Gov as we Type over their "Designating"

I loved Nicks comment on a post regarding Fire blankets.... (he said in effect ) it makes NO SENSE. protect the ground from ashes then scatter the ashes on the ground, all in a "Designated" fire pit....... IMHO, one need only look to the recent past in Forest Management in regards to wild fires and fires in general to see A "designated disaster. Look at your Own playground John...... Natural fires and Man made fires for purpose were practicly outlawed in Yellowstone.... and the evidence of THAT folly is right next to the highway all the way up to the Front porch of Old Faithfull Lodge to this day.... California BURNS ITSSELF DOWN EVERY SUMMER.... because there aren't ENOUGH "designated" campsites.... and natural fires were suppressed for FAR too long.... USFS management in the name of conservative policy has had the direct Opposite of the desired effect....so proliferate was this failed policy You can Rent a firewatch tower in the wilderness today for $5.00 a night But the effects of Government knows best Haunt us still today.... Our forests are HUGE TINDERBOXES just waiting to Flash into scorched earth at a single lightning strike..... take the drive from Missoula to Id Falls ,to get a more recent look at what USFS policy does..... God put us on this earth to USE it. (not abuse it) Common sense demands Basic skills be retained in life, & I for one, will champion the individuals common sence approach over the USFS; Jackboot thuggery masquerading as management ANYDAY.

For those who don't want to build a fire and act like your forfathers did back thru time immemorial, relying on petrofuel personal stoves , Ive NO QUALM with you! I admire your skill... I on the otherhand will not only embrace your knowledge, but reserve the RIGHT to teach, and PRACTICE with mine how to survive in the woods independent of civilization. should society's conviences fail. Designate THAT.
Namaste~

If you're going to carry a multi-tool, I don't think you can go wrong with Leatherman's Squirt or Gerber's Dime. Relatively light, very compact, and very useful indeed!

I know a guy who won't go out into the backcountry without his hatchet. I don't understand it, but it was a sentimental item with a unique handle that's been in his family for a while. I don't think he goes chopping down live trees with it though. I think he just carries it for an extra measure of security. As for fires themselves. I won't ever go out of my way to build a new fire ring (except in an emergency survival situation), but if I find myself at an already established campsite with a fire ring set up and it's a relatively cold night and I'm not so exhausted to want to get to bed ASAP, then I will enjoy a small fire if I there is an abundance of dry fallen wood to be found scattered about the area.

What implement IYHO, has made the leap from my generation to yours with little change

I think the biggest change you'll see between now and 40 years ago is in regards to how the land is used and regulated. You simply can't legally do things you could do 40 years ago. Some of these restrictions are for the best, and some aren't, but ultimately it's the law. There is such a thing as a designated campsite with a fire ring. There are plenty of places that don't allow fires of any kind, travel without a permit, no cooking without a permit, no overnight stays, no swimming in lakes, no off-trail travel, no dogs, and even places that require you to carry a bear canister that is approved by a sanctioning body. You may not like it, but that's the way things are now. It's a different world than when my grandparents, and even my parents, grew up.

I've got a small wood burning stove that's fun to cook over, but I would never take it on a backpacking trip. The soot on the stove and cookware makes it a huge mess to do multiple overnighters without getting everything dirty. Can it be done? Sure, but I'd much rather carry some fuel and have pots that don't have soot all over them.

While people may feel they have a right to start a fire in a national park, in some parks they legally do not have that right. Breaking these rules hurts all of our access and is irresponsible. In order to transition to this "new age", become familiar and educated on the restrictions and regulations of the area you visit, then follow them. The more you get out, the more you'll see what we're talking about.

Bob,

This has been a good discussion to read through with lots of good responses. This is probably going to be a long response from me as I'm prone to do with discussions such as this but I hope it can be informative and some additional value to the thread for any others engaged or lurking here.

Regarding the social aspects of backpacking, I concur with what many others have said. I'll always say hi to fellow hikers passing by, and will enjoy a quick chat with anyone when opportunity presents itself, but most of the time, outside of the company I start my hike with or pre-plan to meet up with, I tend to seek solitude. I don't always enjoy it when a place of wilderness feels more like an amusement park, which as @steve said, is often the case with popular national parks such as Zions and Arches and even places closer to home like Timpanogos or Brighton Lakes on a summer Saturday, even more so on Labor Day. I won't let such crowds keep me away such places if that's where I want to go, but I just have to put myself in a different mindset if I know such crowds are to be expected. Like most others have said, I won't invite myself into another's camp or go around a lake just to say hi and get to know someone, but if I were to go on a solo trip, there's a certain peace of mind that comes with having some other trail traffic and neighbors nearby when camping. Of course, If I ever had the opportunity to do a thru-hike on the PCT or AT, then I would totally expect and plan to meet and chat with lots of people, camp with strangers, exchange food and develop some camaraderie with all the other fellow hikers. So, aside from such a thru-hike, for me, the opportunity to find some solitude, self-reflection, and enjoy the peace and tranquillity of a beautiful wilderness setting are usually the primary objectives for venturing out on a backpacking trip and that's just hard to do when there is a huge population of others occupying the same area. Being able to make and share great memories with wife, family, and/or friends is also something I enjoy about getting out in the backcountry when such company is present.

Regarding fires, I always enjoy conversing with any company I'm with while sitting around a good campfire when the area permits it, but will usually only cook on the fire if I'm car camping or caught some fish that I'll wrap in foil and toss on some coals. When backpacking however, fire or no fire, my dinner will more often consist of something that only needs hot water to cook or rehydrate it at which point a stove of some type will almost always be not only more convenient but also more efficient. And, as others have said, there are way more people using the backcountry now than prior times. There are several lakes all throughout the Uintas where all the dead wood and dry fall have pretty much been cleaned out and fire restrictions have been put in place within 200 feet of their shores. I'm not a fan of big bonfires except when it's someone's backyard or on other private property. When on public land, I think it's best to be as conservative as you can, and when fires are permitted, they should be kept relatively small using as little wood as possible. I do like your all-night fire set up if you are in a survival situation or tarp camping near the side of a rock and it's rather cold out.

And regarding "old school" skills and what not, I think the term they have for that now is called "Bushcraft". I think it's valuable knowledge to know how to whittle and fashion your own tools from the natural resources out there and know how to live off the land with little to nothing else from civilized society, as it were, and many have made this into a hobby. I have nothing but respect for these people, but I'd much rather take some comforts and luxuries from home that allow me to leave as little trace and use as little natural resources as reasonably possible. I'm grateful and feel fortunate to live in a time where such technological advancements and big selection in outdoor gear is now available from what there was with prior generations. With that said, the recurring theme throughout this thread that "less is more" still holds true and is a good mindset to have. I think a great balance of bushcraft style knowledge and resourcefulness with modern gear can go a long ways in leaving no trace and allowing one to cover great distances with less stress on their backs, knees, and feet.

As for your questions from the OP...

The longest trip I've done was 65 miles this last summer, hiking from Summit Park (Park City) to Provo. I don't currently have money for the ultra high-tech super lightweight materials and gear currently out on the market, but my base weight (pack minus clothes worn on the trail, food, water, and stove fuel) was about 23 lbs or so. Adding full bottles of water, food, and fuel put it up to around 30-32 lbs or so. We completed the trip in 4 days, with our longest day being close to 20 miles. With the distance we were covering each day, I anticipated being much hungrier and packed accordingly, but only ended up getting through about half my day's worth of snacks each day, so I ended up finishing with a couple lbs more extra food than needed.

Steve posted some great videos by Mike Clelland and I too highly recommend his book for tips on where you can lighten your load in big and little ways. To show more of what's possible, I found this video of a guy who claims to have a sub 10 lb pack of gear he uses on his thru-hikes.

Then, not to be beaten, here's a guy whose name is John Chlarson who managed a suitable mid-summer overnighter system weighing under 5 lbs!

Under 5 lbs! That includes the fishing pole! I'd say only a scout going out for his wilderness survival badge could top that. Seriously though, John has a whole library of some terrific videos he's posted on his YouTube channel about repurposing various products and being resourceful at lightening your load on a small budget.

Another informative YouTube channel with well done videos worth checking out that shows what kind of ultralight gear is out there is from a guy named Dave Collins:

Lastly, I really enjoy this video that does a nice job comparing and contrasting "traditional" backpacking gear vs newer advancements in gear:

Was going to say LED headlight, but after further thought...a camera. It's great to bring back photos to share with others and put up on BCP. :)

I don't know if it qualifies as "old school" but I like to carry one of these Light My Fire knives. Especially if I'm out on a solo hike or staying the night in an area that permits fires. I don't know how successful I could really be in using it for self-defense purposes, but I like to think I could give a bear or other big animal a good sting with it if circumstances ever came to that (i.e. if bear spray fails). More so, it does a fantastic job of batoning small pieces of wood for making tinder and kindling. I'd probably leave it at home or at least in the car when taking trips into the desert though.

My age and experience doesn't go that far back, but my guess is cookware or footwear. If you were to ask what has seen the greatest change and innovation, I'd have to guess that it would be shelter systems.
Ireally like this whole post! I m thankfull to all of you for your opinions. Id hate to score how many times Ive learned something new here in such a short time..... THANK YOU ALL