Backpacking First Aid Kits

And it still doesn't hold on after hiking 5 or 10 miles! At least not for me on my heal. This was the last trip I ever packed duct tape. I had to tap everyone else's duct tape supply because anything less than this and it would slide off after enough hiking. Hell, I think even this slid off. A small piece Leukotape would have stuck for the entire trip.
LOL! Looks like my feet sometimes! I usually have to wrap in all the way around my foot and over lap the tape or its moving around in a few miles of hiking.

My Kit changes all the time, these are what I always bring though.

For Wounds, Sprains, and Burns I carry: A SAM Splint laid flat on the bottom of my pack, A large Celox Pad, a few bandages some with a clotting agent, few packets of wound seal, Steri-Strips, Burn Jel, Betadine packets, and Neosporin.

Meds: Hydrocodone, Benadryl, Sleeping Pills, Aspirin, Imodium, and few cough drops. If its going to be off trail I bring a tube of anti itch cream.

Blisters: If I get a hotspot then I stop use Flexitol Blistop Blister Spray too kinda freeze the hotspot or let me feet air out a sec. Change to a pair of aired out or dry socks and with boots that breathe no more blisters.

Medicinal scotch or rum.

Last edited:
Great tip on the leukotape. I have still been doing the mole skin thing and have been less then impressed with the results. I will have to pick up some of that tape.

On a more sensitive topic, what if anything do you guys take for dealing with chafing?

On a more sensitive topic, what if anything do you guys take for dealing with chafing?

I use body glide sometimes, but I can usually apply at the start of a trip and be okay. Sometimes I've packed the mini stick (lady's version). My worst experiences have been solved or prevented by adhering to the motto 'a clean butt is a happy butt'.

Oh yeah, what @Hurakan said is also a good idea. I always backpack in boxer briefs. I try to get them that come down the thigh a fair amount. Costco has some good ones from Champion (I think).

Cool I will have to give them a try. Chafing has been the limiting factor in how far I can hike. The chafing stops me before sore muscles or exhaustion. It doesn't help that I just sweat a lot all around.

It might sound odd but I have found the best stuff to help it heal it up faster is the same stuff I use on my babies diaper rash. You know how it goes, just got back from a long hike, a bit sore that night, changing the babies diaper, hmmmm I wonder....

I used to chafe all the time. I made the switch to under armor briefs quick dry and light weight. Also bring and use daily is Preparation H and a good powder combo. Apply twice to three times a day... it's like a cool breeze

Great tip on the leukotape. I have still been doing the mole skin thing and have been less then impressed with the results. I will have to pick up some of that tape.

I have had some good success with Vaseline. I like carrying that stuff around for multiple reasons. Great fire starter, good lip balm, and good at preventing chafing :)

Some of you may say that I am recklessly unprepared but this is the bag that goes from pack to pack for whatever trip I take, whether it's a dayhike or multi-day.

The bag weighs 5.8 oz.
image.jpg

It contains:
First aid kit: 1.20 oz
Gerber Ultralite LST knife: 0.60 oz
Bag with flint and fire starter: 0.35 oz
Mini roll of duct tape: 0.50 oz
3 extra AAA headlamp batteries: 1.25 oz
Kleenex packet (TP): 0.75 oz
Cordage: 0.85 oz
Ibuprofen: 0.25 oz

image.jpg

The first aid kit itself weighs 1.20 oz
image.jpg

This is what the first aid kit contains. I'm sure this could be improved.
image.jpg

The Gerber Ultralight LST, although I'm thinking of switching to nail clippers as Ben mentioned.
image.jpg

I also always use cordage that is the right gauge for replacing a broken shoe lace. You live and learn.

This thread has me thinking I need to replace my moleskin with the other stuff andpossibly add some super glue.

Last edited:
@ Andy, I used to get chafing on my thighs until I went with underwear/pants that could really breathe well. I cant recommend these enough, you can wash them anywhere and they dry in no time. Super comfortable and they last a long time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&tag=backcountrypo-20&linkId=H6GD36J3PQBFU4ZL

I bought 3 pair of these and they are amazing. I went 10 miles and didn't have any chafing. I thought I was crazy spending 25 bucks a pop but they are worth every penny.

I liked those Ex Officio boxer briefs so much I just wear them always. They last a really long time so the price isn't that big of a deal.

Some of you may say that I am recklessly unprepared but this is the bag that goes from pack to pack for whatever trip I take, whether it's a dayhike or multi-day.

The bag weighs 5.8 oz.

You're out of control man!!! What are you going to do when your leg falls off!?!?!?!?

I keep it pretty simple.

For me:

Motrin
Duct tape and moleskin
Tylonol PM or something stronger - I work 12 hr night shifts and often end up sitting up all night then hiking.
Super glue

For the dogs:

Duct Tape
Gauze pads

Yeah, mine's pretty simple too. Some Gorilla tape and ibuprofen, maybe Claritin. After taking a Wilderness First Responder class years ago, I decided there wasn't much else I really needed. Pressure for bleeding, tape for splint, clean water to clean wounds. Course I have a pocket knife, sunscreen, chapstick, stuff like that.

@andyjaggy this is the scale I bought on Amazon, up to 50 lbs, has worked well for a few years: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JQSIL8/?tag=backcountrypo-20

This is made up with bike tube repair kit box to keep the bandages and things from being crushed and has a few repair items other than the first aid supplies... mostly for keeping infections at bay and light gear repair until...

_MG_0550_DxO750dd.jpg

_MG_0551_DxO750dd.jpg

There are some needle holder forceps in my hip belt pocket for cactus removal and a tiny container of Badger Balm for everything else.