Backpacking 101

nickalletto

I'm new to backpacking and I'm looking for thoughts, opinions, and pointers on equipment. I do have some things already such as an outer frame backpack and 20° backpacking sleeping bag. Keeping A budget in mind, what "backpacking necessities" should I consider picking up? My first trip will be to the high uintas this Fourth of July weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there. Welcome. A list of the basic necessities would be something along the lines of this list...

Necessities...
Pack
Tent
Sleeping pad
Sleeping bag
Stove
Water filter
First aid kit
Headlamp
Bear bag or canister
Good footwear

Non-essentials but often used...
Quick drying t-shirt, underwear, pants
Hydration bladder (so you can drink through a tube without taking your pack off)
Trekking poles
A good GPS app
An external phone charger
A camera so your friends and coworkers don't think you're telling tall tales

There are a few small items too like a trowel or something to dig a cat hole with, pocket knife, etc. but that's pretty much it.

The people on here including myself can talk ad nauseum about each of the above items so you came to the right place.

Welcome!
Few other items - maybe all not necessary
Bug net
Bic lighter and back up lighter
sunscreen
Good hat
sunglasses
Rope
compass
map
Pack liner(like trash compactor bag) and or pack cover
Rain gear
Bug spray
Cook pot and or cup
spoon
Fleece
puffy jacket
gloves

Talk to me about rain gear. I have an old(er) outer frame back pack. Any ideas for pack cover? Someone told me to always be prepared for rain in the Uintas...

A lot of people just get a trash compactor bag (unscented) or other heavy duty garbage bag to wrap up there sleeping bag, sleeping clothes, and down jacket or other insulative layers for camp into. That's pretty much what I do to. Much easier than messing with a pack poncho that only covers the outer half of the pack. I use ziplock bags for protecting sensitive electronic equipment if such becomes a need.

Another thought...will you be going with a group? If so, will everyone in the group be first-timers or will there be some with experience and a full outfit of gear? If so, you may want to see about just sharing the same stove, water filter, and such, if available.

You can find some decent backpacking gear on Amazon for small budgets. Here are some example items...

Stove
Tent
Sleeping Pad
Sleeping Bag
Water Filter

All that adds up to the cost of about 2 nights in a local Motel 6...so, not bad! Your name looks familiar, so if you are who I think you are, and you're still in the Provo area, I'd recommend Out'n'Back in Orem and Recreation Outlet in American Fork as placed you could stop by. Both offer a selection of gear from high end to economical and budget friendly.

Actual necessities? Shelter (usually a tent), sleeping bag and pad, backpack, sufficient clothes for the weather, food, good hiking footwear of some kind, to taste, and some method of water purification, at least in the Uintas.

Beyond that, you might want to check out this series of videos. It's quite well done, and fairly complete. http://www.cleverhiker.com/lightweight-gear-basics/

Don't forget there are a lot of sources for used gear that usually have a good selection of quality stuff among the other junk. A little research will pay big dividends. You don't really need the latest and greatest to enjoy backpacking. And don't forget the REI garage sales-if you don't mind standing in line.

This is all good stuff thanks for the suggestions! I'm pumped for the Fourth of July weekend and backpacking/fishing at Timothy Lakes!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B 3P Backpacking Tent Recommendation and Nemo Aurora feedback Gear 3
TrailScot Capitol Reef NP - 5 Day Backpacking Adventure from Chimney Rock to Burro Wash - October 2023 Backpacking 10
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
J Backpacking in the UK Backpacking 1
2eez4life Suggestions: Uintas Backpacking with some rock climbing routes Trip Planning 0
M Backpacking 50 miles in the Uinta Mountains for 5 days with ~50 pound pack Backpacking 4
forest dweller What do you think are the most essential nutrients while backpacking? General Discussion 17
B 2P Backpacking Tent Recommendation Gear 17
forest dweller Favorite backpacking foods...convenient, easy, delicious, nutritious? General Discussion 20
forest dweller You guys keep a backpacking gear checklist in Microsoft Word you don't mind sharing? General Discussion 13
forest dweller I have tons of backpacking food past it's expired by date... General Discussion 10
maisweh Backpacking Maze - Please Critique Trip Planning 11
DrNed Backpacking Light Memberships Resource Discussions 6
ANelson Backpacking with a 600MM Lens General Discussion 13
E Weeklong+ backpacking recs in Yellowstone NP? Trip Planning 11
mikejones3 New Backpacking / Hiking Weight Calculator App Gear 0
R Backpacking in the Pacific Northwest Trip Planning 7
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
Mikjik86 Backpacking The Wind River Range - Wyoming, September 2022 Trip Reports 3
norwegianxplorer 6 days Backpacking Norway in the Fall (Part 2) Backpacking 4
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
norwegianxplorer 6 days backpacking Jotunheimen in the fall Trip Reports 4
Desertratgal Backpacking/Packrafting Needles and Maze Districts of Canyonlands Trip Planning 3
BJett Amazing Appalachians - Backpacking/Packrafting the AT and Nantahala River Backpacking 5
kwc Backpacking on the Northville Placid Trail (NPT) Backpacking 13
norwegianxplorer 7 days backpacking Breheimen/Glacier Home National Park in Norway Backpacking 2
SeanIsADesertRat Old guys backpacking in Dark Canyon Backpacking 17
norwegianxplorer Backpacking the Lofoten archipelago in arctic Norway Backpacking 6
Mikjik86 4 Days Backpacking Grand Teton Wilderness/Teton Crest Trail - Wyoming, July, 2021 Backpacking 0
T Southern Utah Backpacking ideas for MLK Weekend? Trip Planning 21
norwegianxplorer Backpacking SAREK NATIONAL PARK, Arctic Sweden, Camping Above RAPADALEN delta. Backpacking 7
TrailScot Canyonlands NP Needles backpacking permit in winter General Discussion 5
ghsmith76 Looking for best multi-day Backpacking Trips near Livingston, MT Trip Planning 6
norwegianxplorer Finding Hidden Glacier, 9 days backpacking Jotunheimen National Park Pt3, Norway. Trip Reports 0
norwegianxplorer Highest Mountain in Norway, Galdhøpiggen, the start of a 9 day backpacking trip in Jotunheimen national park Backpacking 0
montanaclimber Americans: where was your favorite international backpacking trip? Trip Planning 25
norwegianxplorer 5 days Backpacking Rondane National Park, Norway Backpacking 3
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Norway, Femundsmarka National Park Pt 3, Grand Scandinavian Hiking & Backpacking Tour Ep4 Backpacking 0
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Rogen Nature Reserve, Sweden & Femundsmarka National Park, Norway Pt2 Backpacking 2
norwegianxplorer 10 days Backpacking Femundsmarka National Park and Rogen Nature Reserve, Norway and Sweden Backpacking 8
norwegianxplorer Backpacking Scandinavia, Norway & Sweden June-September Backpacking 4
andyjaggy A couple of Backpacking Trip Report Videos Backpacking 0
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Idaho's Cecil D. Andrus-White Clouds Wilderness : O'Calkens Lake & Bighorn Basin Backpacking 2
forest dweller How did you meet most of your backpacking companions? General Discussion 83
LarryBoy World's Wimpiest Backpacking Trip Trip Planning 19
Jamesoutside life Looking for backpacking buddy montana aug/sept Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
RyanP Snowy Range (WY) easy backpacking recommendations? Trip Planning 4
norwegianxplorer How a Reindeer herd w/calves invaded my camp & started fighting over turf, backpacking Femundsmarka NP Norway Backpacking 2
D Backpacking Advice in the Winds, Teton Wilderness and the Washakie Wilderness Trip Planning 8
JuddOutdoors What is a good backpacking single person tent? 4 Season Gear 14