All I Wanted was Rain

Miya

Because I am able.
Went hiking today...or maybe...more like walking. The intent was hiking and since there was a huge storm coming our way, I was determined to have myself my favorite type of hike, a rain hike. I was actually very grumpy YESTERDAY, because it was pouring rain and I thought "I need to call out of work because I know that even though everyone says it is going to rain tomorrow, because I want it to, it won't". That is what happened, and I am going to yell at my boss on Monday and let him know the next workday that it rains, I am not coming in.

https://evermoremoments.smugmug.com/All-I-Wanted-was-Rain/

7.2 miles (in my sandals, I am actually loving it, but still ordered the runners) in Valley Springs, CA
I decided on this location because it is only 40 minutes from my house and I wasn't in the mood to drive. Heads up, no Lego again. Thought I lost her, but luckily found her when I got back home.

I woke up at 0730, but was a little hungover and ended up going back to sleep till 1200, didn't start hiking till 1400. Hah :twothumbs:

This was a nice leisurely trail. I was surprised how much wildlife I saw, considering a large portion of it is next to the road and the trail is heavily used by people and their dogs. There were deer, bunnies, and an assortment of birds! I tried to walk and snack slow, hoping that the rain would start, but it never did...it still hasn't. :facepalm: The quest for rain hikes continues.

Valley Springs.jpg

Valley Springs-4.jpg

I came across a couple deer, they didn't notice me. I pulled up my camera to adjust my settings and then...Ahhhh! Why are they running away?!

Valley Springs-5.jpg

He was pretty proud of himself. I am not a huge fan of letting dogs off their leash in general, but this guy's owner was in her car about half a mile away. The deer ended up running out into the road and leaving, and he was in hot pursuit! Luckily, he followed me back to his owner.

Valley Springs-7.jpg

This thing has HUGE eyes! I am jelly.

Valley Springs-8.jpg

Valley Springs-13.jpg

I told myself this beautiful bird was a piece of wood. I am always imagining rocks and trees are animals, but this time I was right! It didn't let me get very close though. One of these days I will actually sit down, set up my tripod and sit patiently to get a good shot of animals.

Valley Springs-11.jpg

Last edited:
Love the killdeer shot. Beautiful birds, even though they often build nests in the stupidest of places.

Nothing better than taking a day off and doing something you actually feel like doing. Looks like a super relaxing time.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
F Invite Fourth Wanted- Bechler Area- 16-21 September Meet Up (Members Only) 1
S Bear fence wanted Gear Market: Buy, Sell, Trade 5
Contra Looking at buying a used travel trailer opinions wanted. General Discussion 16
Perry Capitol Reef NP Hiking and Road Trip Suggestions Wanted Trip Planning 1
P I got the campsite I wanted!!!! General Discussion 8
RyanP 3-day Canyonlands trip in May---suggestions wanted Trip Planning 3
Upgrayedd Uintas backpacking suggestions wanted Trip Planning 0
Adventure Dining Guide Backcountry Chefs Wanted! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 4
pstm13 Wanted: Ice Axe and Crampons Gear 2
steve Wanted: lightweight -10* down bag Gear 0
balzaccom Just when you thought it was safe General Discussion 1
The Trout Whisperer Wish it was snow! General Discussion 8
montanaclimber Americans: where was your favorite international backpacking trip? Trip Planning 25
balzaccom What was GOOD about 2020? General Discussion 20
Rockskipper Maybe it was the BBQ sauce (guy survives 3 weeks w/ no food or water after getting lost) General Discussion 0
WasatchWill Halls Creek...It was time. Backpacking 14
AbinadiWitness Return to THE FORMATION, etc. - The Second Time Was, Indeed, the Charm - 18-20 May 2017 Hiking & Camping 5
balzaccom I Once was Lost... Backpacking 0
gnwatts It was a good day.... General Discussion 4
Nick Another wolf was in Utah General Discussion 2
Tater Head It was the best of times, It was the worst of times... General Discussion 6
intuitive cat what was your best/most satisfactory new gear this last season? Gear 18
Tyler The Subway was off the hook! General Discussion 9
balzaccom McGee Creek--Fire (smoke) Rain, Winded and rockslides... Trip Reports 0
M What's your rain forecast comfort zone for canyon hiking? Trip Planning 4
regehr Hanksville area rain March 21? Trip Planning 5
swmalone Rain, Mud, and Wind....First Trip to Escalante Area Hiking & Camping 16
Miya 'Rain' in the New Year - Point Reyes National Seashore, CA Backpacking 14
Titans 3 week Arizona road trip: Tucson Desert Rain & Hiking SAGUARO NP Hiking & Camping 1
balzaccom Oregon: Earth, Wind, Fire, and Rain...not in that order Backpacking 0
Perry Backpacking Rain Poncho - Anyone Use One? Gear 14
N Rain Gear Gear 25
IntrepidXJ Rain Pants? Gear 32
LarryBoy It's gonna rain this weekend... Trip Planning 2
Mike Jones Best UL Mountain Hardwear Rain Jacket Gear 2
IntrepidXJ The Rain Man Site Hiking & Camping 2
Vegan.Hiker When to take a rain check? General Discussion 13
regehr rain General Discussion 13
Bob Rain......Snow Trip Planning 5
WasatchWill Rain, Rain... Hiking & Camping 9
Deadeye008 Rain kilt anyone...? Gear 1